Thread: Whats the deal with onlyents?

Artist

Whats the deal with onlyents?

I have been using onlyents compile for many many years and I never had a problem with it. Yet I keep reading in compiler documentation (here for example) that I must not add or delete any entities (not even point-entities) because that would somehow mess up the mapfile.

Quite often during mapping my entities go completely nuts and it takes me hours to fix them again. When this happens I allways wonder if this is due to onlyents. However, doing a full compile also doesn´t help in these situations.

So what is true? Is it safe to use or not?
    Last edited by the-middleman; 04-10-2014 at 04:59 AM.
    ZN progress:

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

Re: Whats the deal with onlyents?

its not! If you change ANY brush based entity and even a value of it, the map starts to get fucked up.
    *Edit: Also use ripent for changing values.
    Last edited by TrEmPlEr; 02-10-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

It should be safe for changing keyvalues, but I just stay clear of it because it has cost me hours of my time when trying to fix ent problems.

If compiling the full CSG+BSP (and maybe fast VIS) really takes a long time, then I would make a separate map just to test entities.
    Love,
    w00tguy

It's safe to add or remove point entities and change the key-values or even class name of brush entities. If you have done something wrong like removing a brush entity, the map will either fail to load or have the brush entities displayed in wrong location or wrong type (like a func_wall becomes a trigger_multiple).

But be careful not to modify anything like lights and "Invisible" and "Non solid(Passable)" properties that require the compile tools to do extra work rather than just handing over the key-values to the game engine.
    Last edited by vluzacn; 03-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Artist

Thanks for clearing that up. In my experience you can even change the "solid" properties of entities with onlyents.
    ZN progress: