Thread: Sorry for the delay, here is a news update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Manager

Sorry for the delay, here is a news update.

Remember that news update we promised to deliver many weeks ago? Of course you don't, but in case you do, we are sorry. We ran out of Ritalin for our trained team of monkeys who write our news updates, and the only one who could hold his concentration long enough to write a news update was our top monkey Nih, who is writing right now.

In this small update we would like to just go over a couple of the new features that are in store for 5.0.

First on the table is Toon Run. Its creator Koelzk, has returned to give this beloved map series a makeover. Some areas have been reworked and some areas are completely new. And there are some pretty imaginative ideas. We're not going to spoil the entire surprise, but we are going to show you a couple of screenshots:

Next on the table is "item_inventory". This game entity can be seen in the change log we posted earlier, but we would like to introduce it a bit more. To this purpose, AdamR has recorded a video where he demonstrates some of the possible uses, seen below. We hope to be able to demonstrate how this feature can be used in a real map in our initial release.

That is all for now. We hope to be able to deliver another news update at some unspecified point in the near-to-far future. Perhaps before Christmas?.. Scratch that, let's just say near-to-far future.

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

Re: Sorry for the delay, here is a news update.

Impressive, is like we had TFC and DMC too!

Here we go again

Manager

At some point I'll likely work on getting teams feature going, so yes, you could in fact make a TFC or DMC style map including its' game play.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

nice keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    At some point I'll likely work on getting teams feature going, so yes, you could in fact make a TFC or DMC style map including its' game play.
    You know i actually wonder, you guys really want to make a game that includes all features from all other games. Did you get permission to do that? I don't know because like CTF or things like that get from Opfor or Team Fortress and maybe Valve just want you guys to focus on Sven was always like. In terms of Co-Op Multiplayer and not plain classic Multiplayer. Just asking :P

Oh BTW, sorry for that. Great work, either way you guys are really making a lot of progress.
    Sven Co-op - Player, enthusiast, alien-reaper, Shotgun-lover
    Sven Co-op Forums - Addict, spam-hater, playing 5.0 a lot
    In-game name - Delacroix

I really hope that the inventory thing will allow for things like deployible turrets, I know it can be done with map events, but I just think it would be cool to carry a inactive turret on your back that when dropped activates and starts shooting enemies.

Also wondering is it possible to have items do things on player death, like lets say a welding torch simmilar the engineer grunts that will explode if the user dies or gets shot in the back.

Also wondering if it is possible to make something like a minigun ammo pack, which quadruples ammunition when using the minigun, but once the ammo hits bellow the 600 max you lose the ammo pack. (though highly doubt it would ever be used for anything other then a horde map). Also think it would be cool to have an exo suit like item which when held blocks carrying of other items but doubles health and armor and gives a rapid armor regeneration.

IDEAS/ SUGGESTIONS FOR ITEMS
    (including the ones above)

Inactive sentry
    info: none respawning, when dropped spawns a sentry after 5 seconds, item can be destroyed before then by hostiles.
    note: would have a malfunctioning version which is hostle.

stukabat
    info: similar to the sentry only puts a stukabat on your back, which can be dropped to spawn an allied one, unlike sentry this one is an allied stukabat in the first place.
    note: This item would require the player to revive a allied/hostile stukabat with a medkit to get.

welding torch
    info: used to breach doors, requires user to USE the doors un till cutting is completed, if user dies or is shot in the back they will explode.

minigun kit
    info: gives the user a minigun with 1,800 ammo and triple fire rate, once lower then 600 ammo lose the kit(a backpack) but keep the minigun (works as normal)
    note: would require the player to USE this before obtaining

HEV EXO ARMOR
    info: a exo skeleton shield emitter, can not be used along side any other items including long jump. triples shield max and adds a 10 energy per second regeneration to shield. if shield goes out emitters die and must be dropped.

Ammo pack
    info: adds a ammo pack to the palyers back, this pack doesn't help the player but all allies around can USE, the pack to refill ammo, can be used 30 times before vanishing.

shoulder mounted grenade launcher
    info: adds a shoulder based grenade launcher which allows the player to fire their 40mm grenade ammo with any weapon.
    note: restricts the use of heavy weapons that are shoulder of back based (RPG, glon gun) replaces tertiary fire with a lobbed grenade that used the players 40mm grenade ammo.
    Last edited by warbrand2; 28-11-2014 at 02:54 AM.
    = evil

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Woah Nih, good work, How do you work from Hammer Editor Styles Nice Good work!
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Game tester  
    Programmer

can we remve/add stuff on trigger from the inventory?
    something like:
    item_trigger

-has the ability to add/remove stuff based on item name/item id
    -it could be used to remove items globally or only from target (or from triggering person using that !activator thing)

useful for:
    - vending machines (lol)
    - puzzles
    - things
    - more things!

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by 19941994ra View Post
    You know i actually wonder, you guys really want to make a game that includes all features from all other games. Did you get permission to do that? I don't know because like CTF or things like that get from Opfor or Team Fortress and maybe Valve just want you guys to focus on Sven was always like. In terms of Co-Op Multiplayer and not plain classic Multiplayer. Just asking :P
    Opfor/TFC didn't invent capture the flag, so we need not ask them for permission to put that in our game. As for the models used in that map I merely borrowed them for that video and my own testing on our internal game.

Quote Originally Posted by warbrand2 View Post
    I really hope that the inventory thing will allow for things like deployible turrets, I know it can be done with map events, but I just think it would be cool to carry a inactive turret on your back that when dropped activates and starts shooting enemies.
    You could technically do that already but it might get difficult if you want the sentry to be deployable anywhere. Better suited for a custom entity via script. Most of your ideas would also be better suited for new entities, or custom ones written on our scripting platform.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
    Woah Nih, good work, How do you work from Hammer Editor Styles Nice Good work!
    You know that's Koelzk's map right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zodemon View Post
    can we remve/add stuff on trigger from the inventory?
    something like:
    item_trigger

-has the ability to add/remove stuff based on item name/item id
    -it could be used to remove items globally or only from target (or from triggering person using that !activator thing)
    You can already remotely force someone to pick up or drop an item by triggering the item entity directly. Use type ON will force a collection attempt, use type OFF will force a drop, use type TOGGLE will do a collect/drop attempt depending on whether the item is already being held, and use type KILL will force a drop and destroy the item. A new entity is not required.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

item_inventory's API is also exposed in Angelscript, so you can programmatically trigger its behavior.

Artist

Very looking forward to this. Also: that Hammer-map looks epic.
    ZN progress:

I'm curious- in regards to gate that closes if the player is holding certain items. Is anything stopping the player from tossing an item past the door while it's open and picking the item back up on the other side?

Game tester  
    Programmer

im guessing trigger_push with item filter :--D or something

Quote Originally Posted by Zodemon View Post
    im guessing trigger_push with item filter :--D or something
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Good thinking! I was just thinking about many mappers not considering possible ways to break such obstacles. I suppose if the methods are there it's up to the mapper to think to employ them.

You could make a custom brush entity that detects those items and removes them, or changes their velocity. Or anything, really.

Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar

That was a good question though. You could also use a 'fake' floor that object fall through but clips players.

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

You know that's Koelzk's map right?
    You mean Map "Toonrun". I understand now.. Thanks, AdamR
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Manager

^Yep, the 3 screenshots were of that. That Hammer looking map is one of the new sections of it.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

That's some fantastic work you're all doing there! I was under the very wrong impression that V5.0 was largely a reskin - just shows the worthless value of gossip..

Adam, with your new item_inventory entity, is there a way for legit players to force a troll, by means of voting, to release a progress-critical inventory item? And/or that troll then be banned from picking it again? I'm thinking of servers where classic voting (votekill) is disabled.. I have visions of a new, and terrible wave of map-blocking..

Thanks for all your hard work on V5.0!

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
    Adam, with your new item_inventory entity, is there a way for legit players to force a troll, by means of voting, to release a progress-critical inventory item? And/or that troll then be banned from picking it again? I'm thinking of servers where classic voting (votekill) is disabled.. I have visions of a new, and terrible wave of map-blocking..
    Kind of... You'd have to vote-kill that player to make them drop an item. It's a bad idea for public servers to disable these votes for exactly this kind of reason. Once an item is dropped the person that had it can't take it again for another 3 seconds.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Heh,turrets on "hard" "quarter" shall be really handy.

Manager

Here's a follow-up video for the original one to address a rather major exploit I can see happening with item_inventory. Thanks to William Holly for pointing it out, and also thanks to everyone that watched it and commented. Way more positive feedback than I expected.

Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Here's a follow-up video for the original one to address a rather major exploit I can see happening with item_inventory. Thanks to William Holly for pointing it out, and also thanks to everyone that watched it and commented. Way more positive feedback than I expected.
    Nice work there!
    I might be missing something here though, isn't the most simple solution to make a trigger that activates when either the player holding the item or the item itself pass through? That way the door will close either way so neither the item or the player will be able to go through.
    Or maybe simply do one trigger for items so a mapper can overlap both the player trigger and the item trigger to both close the door when triggered.
    It may even be useful for other purposes, for example in a CTF map with cliffs you could put those triggers over the voids, that way if the flag ends up falling there it can be reset instantly.

Contributor

I think it would be better if you did these videos with a green hat like in your avatar!

Artist

Quote Originally Posted by cscarlet View Post
    I think it would be better if you did these videos with a green hat like in your avatar!
    Agree
    ZN progress:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast