Thread: List of banned mail providers

Manager

List of banned mail providers

Due to the extraordinarily excessive amount of spam bots registering using Yahoo mailboxes, we have currently banned registrations with an email address on the "yahoo.com" domain. This does not include Yahoo mailboxes from other country TLD's (i.e. yahoo.co.uk).

If you're already registered and have a "yahoo.com" email address you can keep using it as normal. We will not force you to change this, as you've already verified you're human.

If you're trying to register a new account you will not be allowed to, and be shown the message "Registration has been rejected. High amounts of spam has come from your registration information.". In this case we would either recommend you register using a different email address not on "yahoo.com". If you don't have (or want) another email address to register with please contact us, and we can create an account on your behalf after verifying you're human. Make sure you tell us what username you would like! If you've already contacted us and we gave you this URL you need to reply with the username you'd like, and we'll create an account for you.

Edit: 19/Aug/2016

The following mail domains are currently banned from self-registration.

amorki.pl
    comcast.net
    jetfix.ee
    mail.ru
    mailcatch.com
    mailinator.com
    myalushta.net
    nokiamail.com
    sharklasers.com
    yahoo.com
    yandex.ru
    yopmail.com

There are a few more of which we will not accept any in form of registration.
    Last edited by AdamR; 19-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Game tester  
    Tester

Re: Yahoo mailboxes banned

Why not use some antispam plugin like spam-o-matic? This one works for me, it blocks IP spam servers too. Databse from http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Manager

We already did. Those plug-ins don't filter the majority of spam bots, and end up breaking registration for regular users.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

I started using http://botscout.com/ after my tiny forum started getting massive drivebys of Chinese and Russian spammers for whatever reason. It works pretty good, I rarely get any spam registrations now when I used to get like 10-15 a day. Though I also null route the entire netblocks of both of those countries and a few others so it's probably a combination of both that keeps them away.

But it probably makes more sense to just ban Yahoo email accounts. Most of the spammers that I've had used Yahoo since I guess they have a lax policy on spammers.

Manager

How did I miss your post there?

Thanks for mentioning that Gigabyte. I'll look into that though it might be a faff to install. The latest vBulletin add-on is only for VB 3.x, we're on 4.x.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

I know the pain, I run an old and heavily modified IPB myself. I had to go in and manually modify registration.php with custom code to work with their API.

Another alternative is www.stopforumspam.com which has a vbulletin plugin here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176481

Or

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

A quick browse through said that both work on vbulletin 4.x, but I can't confirm that since I use IPB.