Thread: Model replacement bugs

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Model replacement bugs

I recently had the chance to do some thorough testing on model replacement (per-entity and with globalmodellist). Here's what I found:
    (Sorry I haven't made proper bug reports in the tracker... yet... maybe...)

Issue #1:
    Using some models with some monsters will cause a crash, either immediately or after performing some action:
    • Nihilanth and Alien Controller crash with most models
    • Apache and Sentry crash if model has less than 2 bone controllers
    • p_weapons crash if the model uses a separate model for textures
    • p_weapons crash if the model is missing animation models (otisf01.mdl)
    • Many monsters will crash if replacement model is meant for another monster.

See the attached text file for more cases.

Issue #2:
    GMR can cause a crash if a replacement model has been replaced in the same file. Example:
    Code:
    "models/w_grenade.mdl" "models/gman.mdl"
    "models/gman.mdl"      "models/islave.mdl"
    This will cause "Host no precache: islave.mdl" error. The order of lines doesn't matter. Using custom_precache does not fix the error.

islave.mdl and gman.mdl can be any other model - w_grenade.mdl is causing the problem. So far I've only seen this happen with w_weapon models. Maybe something to do with w_svencoop_pickup.mdl?

Issue #3:
    GMR can't find models with spaces in the file path (e.g. models/KscT/MasterChief Model/weapon/v_9mmAR.mdl). Entity-level replacement doesn't care about spaces.

Issue #4:
    Sprites will crash the game if both of the following conditions are met:
    - The sprite format is "Normal" or "Additive"
    - The number of pixels of any frame (Width x Height) is not divisible by 4
    Credits to Keen for making the only sprite with these properties (oxy/dogfad.spr)

Issue #5:
    After loading a lot of model/sprite textures (accumulated across level changes), the game will crash with this error: 'Texture Overflow: MAX_GLTEXTURES'. Can happen in as few as 2 map changes, depending on what models are used.

Issue #6:
    After loading a lot of model replacements in general (accumulated across level changes) the game will crash with no error or "Alloc Block: Full". Happens about every 6-12 map changes with random models for each map. It's more like 20-40 map changes if all the GMR files are the same.
    edit: Tested this on a dedicated server and the error is "Cache_Free: not allocated"

Issue #7:
    custom_precache will crash with certain models:

models/txas/servers.mdl
    models/zombie_nights/zombie.mdl

Out of about 4000 models I tested, these were the only ones that caused a crash. What's so special about these?

Issue #8:
    The game will crash with no error if you are 1 model under the model limit. If you're at or over the limit you get the nicer 512 models error message.

Issue #9:
    monster_roach and monster_nihilanth ignore their model keyvalue. Their models can only be replaced via GMR.

Issue #10:
    RES files contribute to the model limit, even if the listed items aren't models. So, if you list 512 sounds, the client will crash with a max precache error.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 10-04-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Re: Model replacement bugs

Nice testing, nice finds!

Contributor

Pretty nice! Hope those bugs gets fixed someday. Also I noticed that spawning massive amount of models in-game (e.g. through env_shooter) make some of the invisible (they are not rendered), but they can still be heard (material sound of env_shooter is playing, so those models are physically still spawning). Game is finally crashing with no errors, and the mouse sensitivity won't revert to windows default.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

^ I noticed that too. I think that has to do with the visible entity limit which is usually safe to exceed. I can spawn about 1000 models in a few seconds without crashing. Servers might react differently though.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Idk why but for some reason model replacement doesn't work for me. No models in my game are replaced, no matter what config settings i change.

Manager

Which models are you trying to replace?
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons