Thread: Glitch-Life program

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Insane Gun Nut Fiend Swagmaster Bandit's Avatar

Re: Glitch-Life program

Oh My!, I missed on the new thread!

OH my Oh My! This promisses to be fucktastic!

(I'm having a problem, it doesn't find all of my HL1 campaign maps...)
    Last edited by Swagmaster Bandit; 26-04-2015 at 03:37 AM.

Any updates?

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

There will probably a be a bug fix update soonish (this weekend?) and maybe new features next year, but for the most part I've switched focus to other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagmaster Bandit View Post
    (I'm having a problem, it doesn't find all of my HL1 campaign maps...)
    Do you actually have all the maps? If you didn't install them with SC then the ones you have might have just been downloaded when you played on public servers.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 27-04-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

How did you rotate the maps?

I flipped the BSP vertices and collision plane vectors (reversed sign of Y and Z coordinates). It was a bit of a hassle since flipping planes often swaps the contents of the child nodes which breaks collision.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 27-04-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: oops wrong coordinates
    Love,
    w00tguy

I installed Sven Coop with every single checkbox marked to install with every tiny bit, I have HL, Blue Shit and Opposing Force.
    And I'm sure I have them, I played on a friend's server...

But do tell, how can one not have all Half-Life 1 maps installed on Sven Coop, when you have the game? (I have it installed on my folder ACCOUNTNAME/half-life and not on common/half-life, because my Half-Life 1 doesn't install on the common folder and so doesn't sven coop.)

*It did happen the exact same thing with my Crack-Life install...*

Ok, not sure what's going on then. You should have 100 HL maps that are named from c0a0 to c5a1. If you have all those maps in a 'maps' folder next to gsrand and the it's still not finding them then there might be a bug in the code.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

Wait, (w00tguy123 et Al, correct this if necessary),

Swagmaster Bandit, you need the Sven Coop versions of the Half-life 1 Single Player maps first, (i.e. in your /svencoop/maps folder, they should be named c0a0.bsp to c5a1.bsp) then run the Glitch-life program/converter.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Tester

Half-life on steam will surely install in to the common folder if you delete it and re-download.
    If not then contact steam support.
    It might help with the problem.

If you don't own the game on steam then that's probably the problem.

Guess I will need to contact Steam Support if they do answear me this time...
    It installed every other game that I had on the Legacy folder just fine in common, except Half-Life...

But I did fix it by copying the contents from HL1 folder into the Half-Life folder where blue shit and opposing force are, and now my Blue Shit and Opposing Force work as well as the program.

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    There will probably a be a bug fix update soonish (this weekend?) and maybe new features next year, but for the most part I've switched focus to other projects.
    Perhaps you could open source it? I'm sure there are programmers in the community who would like to work on it. I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.angry View Post
    Perhaps you could open source it? I'm sure there are programmers in the community who would like to work on it. I know I would.
    https://github.com/wootguy/Glitch-Life

There you go! I apologize in advance for the poor quality of code. It's kind of embarrassing.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Hey, I have used your program a lot recently; and it always used to change the models (like Barney was an HGrunt made of blocks) but now it doesn't do so, and the sounds aren't changed either. I've changed the settings to the most random options (super random, write to map, etc.), so I don't know what the problem is. Sorry for bothering you, g'day.

Hey dipshit, is the program finding content? You should see something similar to this before you begin the process:

Also, make sure that you're randomizing the right maps in gsrand_config.txt. Also-also, make sure you're playing the right maps. They'll be prefixed with "gsrand_" unless you changed the prefix setting.

You might try moving gsrand into its own folder in case something in your sven folder is causing problems (but you should be getting an error message or something if that's the case). Look for "Content selection" in the readme if you don't know how to do this.

edit: I would also check gsrand.log in case there are any errors or unusual output you missed.
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 17-06-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Nothing to see here. BackAssward's Avatar

Damn, I thought "that was rather rude to call him 'dipshit', and uncharacteristic of you". I had to go back and notice that 'dipshit' was his handle.

"Hey dipshit" is fun to say...

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by BackAssward View Post
    Damn, I thought "that was rather rude to call him 'dipshit', and uncharacteristic of you". I had to go back and notice that 'dipshit' was his handle.

"Hey dipshit" is fun to say...
    Is it ?

Hey dipshit, Welcome to the SC Forums!

(Yep agree with you, it is quite fun )
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

It keeps saying "models\alternate was not found" each time I load a map...

^ Is "models\alternate" a folder? Try moving it out of the models folder and running the randomizer again. Maybe there's something wrong with that path (spaces in the name or something).
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 19-06-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Nope, models/alternate isn't a folder, I tried re-installing Sven Co-Op and putting gsrand back in, used the standerd .CFG settings, tried different options on the gsrand.exe and it's still giving me the error on each map

Did you check the "Half-Life/svencoop_downloads/models" folder? The only other place it could be loaded from is "Half-Life/valve/models" but that's pretty unlikely. You could try sandboxing the program to fix this (see the Content Selection section in readme).

If you turned off the model replacement option and you're still getting this error then something is really messed up!
    Love,
    w00tguy

Fixed, I deleted the Valve folder in HL1 and re-installed everything, works a lot better now :P

I think I've found a way around of this bug: "failed to precache because the item count is over the 512 limit".
    I'll start with this info, to plant some seeds of understanding over the situation(or you can jump straight ahead to the How-To section for some instructions on how to fix it):
    - In client.dll of Sven-Coop, there is a hardcoded precache list, connected to each npc on the level.(ex. Every scientist will have his most used voice files precached. If there were no scientists on the map, and you add one using the console, those most used voice files will be precached as well as his model and textures).
    - On map load, engine will precache all the scientist voice files, but in case of Glitch-Life, most of them WILL NEVER EVER BE USED ANYWHERE ON THE MAP, and its not just about scientists, same goes to barney, gman and all other npcs, including monsters and etc.

How-To:
    1) Find all the sound folders that belong to npcs, inside the half-life\svencoop\sound (ex. aslave, barney, scientist, bullchicken, gman, headcrab, controller, hassault, hgrunt, houndeye, ichy, nihilant, zombie and etc.)
    2) Create a folder(inside the "sound" folder) with a random name.
    3) Move npc sound folders into the new folder.

This way we break the hardcoded precache system and prevent it from trashing those precious precache slots, while leaving all the original sounds intact.
    P.S. The only problem I can imagine is if you use "randomize sounds on npcs only". All the maps that use npc sounds for some events during gameplay, will fail to use them.

2 w00tguy123,
    Thanks alot!
    This is the mod I've always wished for!

Can you please add an option to turn off fog and gravity changes? I want to keep the entity randomness, but I don't like the way fog sometimes interrupt vision, and prevents fun from happening. Same goes for gravity. Programm messes it too hard, up to burdening the gameplay.
    You're the best!

Quote Originally Posted by SiEgE View Post
    I think I've found a way around of this bug: "failed to precache because the item count is over the 512 limit".

-snip-
    Interesting, I didn't think these sounds were precached if the monsters weren't even in the map. From what I've seen so far, the only things that are always precached are weapons/ammo models and some sprites.

This limit hasn't given me too much trouble yet. The program usually does a good job of estimating the amount of models used in the map (accounting for GMR), but if you're getting this error then I need to make improvements. If you could tell me which map you see this on then I can try figuring out what's wrong (whenever I start working on this project again).

Quote Originally Posted by SiEgE View Post
    2 w00tguy123,
    Thanks alot!
    This is the mod I've always wished for!

Can you please add an option to turn off fog and gravity changes? I want to keep the entity randomness, but I don't like the way fog sometimes interrupt vision, and prevents fun from happening. Same goes for gravity. Programm messes it too hard, up to burdening the gameplay.
    You're the best!
    Thanks! That's easy enough to implement. Download the attached version and set random_fog and random_gravity to 0 to disable those randomizations. The super dense fog is also less likely in this version.

Edit: Also, I meant to mention this a while ago - Mr.angry ported Glitch-Life to Linux! You can get the sources on Github.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by w00tguy123; 21-06-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast