Thread: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Registered User vluzacn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    274

    Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    2015/8/17

    This release is mostly bug-fixes, so I think this version will be quite stable.

    ---- Added full support for 64-bit Windows and Linux
    To build the Linux version, use the "make" command to compile the source code into binaries and copy the binaries to the "tools" folder.
    Here is the list of how Linux version is different from the Windows version:
    1) There is no '-estimate' option. Estimate mode is on by default. Use '-noestimate' to turn off the estimate mode.
    2) The number of CPU threads cannot be automatically detected. The user should always specify '-threads #' through command line, otherwise it's default to 1 thread.
    3) hlcsg always assumes the .map file is exported with UTF-8 encoding. So there's no need to convert the game_text message into UTF-8 encoding, so the '-notextconvert' option is removed.
    4) Linux doesn't support Windows console window, so the '-console #' is removed.
    5) ripent doesn't have '-pause' option.
    6) Log files will use Linux new-line character instead of Windows new-line character.
    The tools has been tested on 64-bit RedHat Linux, but it's possible that it cannot run on certain Linux or certain machines. The tools will try to detect certain cases and display errors such as "internal error: CalcFaceExtents_test failed".

    ---- When 'zhlt_embedlightmap' is set to 1, you can use 'zhlt_embedlightmapresolution' to lower the resolution of the new textures and reduce the space used.
    For example, set 'zhlt_embedlightmapresolution' to 4 will make the generated textures 4x blurrer(in each direction) than the original texture.
    Usually 4 is a good value. Other available values are 1(default), 2, 4, 8, 16.

    ---- hlcsg will now report the bad brush before hlrad run into the "Texture axis perpendicular" and "Bad surface extents" errors.

    ---- Now the mapper can specify the brush to display when two brushes have overlapping faces in the same plane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faceoverlap.png 
Views:	467 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	16259
    To do this, first make sure the two brushes are in the same detail level. Then in the properties of func_detail, give them different values of 'zhlt_coplanarpriority'("Priority when faces overlap").

    ---- Added an option to enable the old look of texlights.
    This is to solve a very specific light bleeding problem as shown in the picture. The problem occurs when a thin texlight is connected to the middle of a wall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texlightgap.png 
Views:	599 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	16258
    The light on the left is the default one which has the bleeding problem.
    The light on the right is set to have a texlight gap of width 12.0, which means to push the light away from the surface for 12.0 texture pixels.
    To add the gap, set the value of '_texlightgap'("Dark gap in front of texlight") in the properties of light_surface entity. Alternatively, you can set it globally with hlrad parameter '-texlightgap #'.

    ---- Fixed two potential bugs in zhlt_embedlightmap

    ---- Fixed one potential bug in hlbsp FixBrinks

    ---- Fixed an issue that makes hlrad slow when opaque entities with transparency or toggleable shadow are used on a large scale.

    ---- Fixed an issue in the bounced light that occasionally cause the light on one patch to bleed too far.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    788

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Thanks my dear magican Vluzacn good work. I will test my map now.

    Keep improvement and upgrade!
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

    Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

  3. #3
    trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Valve Hammer Editor 3.5 beta
    Posts
    2,279

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    You are really the awesome hero of hammerland. I´m happy you are still continue work on it
    Time to install it

    here
    Modstatus: Unknown

  4. #4
    Mapper Nih's Avatar  
    Manager
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,466

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Interesting thing about zhlt_coplanarpriority. So if I wanted to put a square with texture A inside a cylinder with texture B as shown in your picture, I could gain a performance boost by having the brushes intersect, compared to clipping/carving the cylinder to fit the square?

  5. #5
    Registered User vluzacn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    274

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    Interesting thing about zhlt_coplanarpriority. So if I wanted to put a square with texture A inside a cylinder with texture B as shown in your picture, I could gain a performance boost by having the brushes intersect, compared to clipping/carving the cylinder to fit the square?
    No. The performance should be the same. It's sometimes you cannot carve because that would create off-grid brushes and make it hard to edit in Hammer.
    http://forums.svencoop.com/showthrea...unc_detail-VIS
    In this case, the performance might be better, compared to if you move the brushes to different planes.

  6. #6
    Registered User Dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,827

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Great work with the linux port!
    It works very well. Many map bugs assigned to me will be fixed now.

    Quote Originally Posted by vluzacn View Post
    2) The number of CPU threads cannot be automatically detected. The user should always specify '-threads #' through command line, otherwise it's default to 1 thread.
    sysconf( _SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN )
    https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ma...Resources.html

    But then the question becomes do we want that?
    Last edited by Dynamite; 18-08-2015 at 03:14 PM.

  7. #7
    Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    788

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    @Vluzacn: Edit hard in hammer? Is it possible with Jackhammer 1.1.7 easy to make.

    @Dynamite: Good idea! I hope Vluzacn improves tools. Just we need to wait. ?.
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

    Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Hi, we need your help.
    We used VHLT with your bump in game Paranoia 2: Savior, and
    find deluxe map problems:
    1. In some cases, specular is only visible in shadows while rest of space does not shining (p_savior1 map).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpMcdiGMoHY


    2. Specular glowing circuit appear around shadows. (p_savior3 map)
    http://pix.academ.org/img/2015/03/01...0cd116180e.png


    3. We add the new tracing feature - droping shadows from studiomodels. We would like to share with you, in order to this feature is add in your version VHTL.
    It has several shortcomings:
    a) He is not able to load studiomodels from the game folder, only the base (for Paranoia2: Savior it was not necessary).
    b) His speed is quite low. Our attempts to optimize tracing studiomodels I think it is not too successful. Perhaps you manage somehow to optimize the speed of his work.


    4. Problems with building BSP tree. When moving player on map there are sharp disposable drawdown FPS, which appear only when the map is compiled
    VHLT. I tested this maps on render Paranoia and custom version Darkplaces, who has been adapted to understand format BSP31. Perhaps the BSP-tree is constructed as something not very optimal.


    If you have time and desire to help us, we will send you source code VHLT with support shadows from stduiomodels and everything else that may be required.


    Paranoia 2 you can download here:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/paranoia-...anoia-2-savior

    Thx.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Correctly-smoothed normals for each vertex considering lighting, that can be saved into an external file, for example:

    save it into mapname.nrm like LUMP_VERTEXES

    Their quantity should match the number of vertices.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    520

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegacy View Post
    4. Problems with building BSP tree. When moving player on map there are sharp disposable drawdown FPS, which appear only when the map is compiled
    VHLT. I tested this maps on render Paranoia and custom version Darkplaces, who has been adapted to understand format BSP31. Perhaps the BSP-tree is constructed as something not very optimal.
    You have to remember that Half-Life is a fork of the Quake and Quake 2 engines and has added many features that never existed in the former engines. Loading HL engine maps in DP is more of an experimental feature, and the last time I played with it, it was far from working properly.

    DP doesn't support any of the HL specific entities, so maps are going to be barren unless you manually program them in. It also doesn't render the sky or water properly and lightmaps are pretty broken since DP doesn't really have a nice way of doing environmental lighting.

    It's been a few years since I last tried to load any HL maps in DP, but I have no reason to believe support for HL maps has gotten any better.

    If you want to make maps for DP, you should use the Quake compile tools, or the DP compile tools (Hmap2.)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You have to remember that Half-Life is a fork of the Quake and Quake 2 engines and has added many features that never existed in the former engines. Loading HL engine maps in DP is more of an experimental feature, and the last time I played with it, it was far from working properly.

    DP doesn't support any of the HL specific entities, so maps are going to be barren unless you manually program them in. It also doesn't render the sky or water properly and lightmaps are pretty broken since DP doesn't really have a nice way of doing environmental lighting.

    It's been a few years since I last tried to load any HL maps in DP, but I have no reason to believe support for HL maps has gotten any better.

    If you want to make maps for DP, you should use the Quake compile tools, or the DP compile tools (Hmap2.)
    This for Xash Engine

  12. #12
    Registered User LightningTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Those "2 weeks" were really long , nevertheless awesome update. xD

    Btw question about the number of cpu threads , I'm not exactly sure where to put them.
    Last edited by LightningTerror; 07-09-2015 at 02:50 PM.

  13. #13
    Still learning wolf-3d's Avatar  
    Tester
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm.
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by LightningTerror View Post
    Those "2 weeks" were really long , nevertheless awesome update. xD

    Btw question about the number of cpu threads , I'm not exactly sure where to put them.
    Add to the end of your existing Command line parameters e.g. IF you used ZHLT recommended args for final compiles, then
    where "x" is the number of threads (CPU supported) that you want to use:

    hlcsg -cliptype precise -wadautodetect -wadinclude NameOfWadFile -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlbsp -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlvis -full -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlrad -extra -threads x NameOfMapToCompile

    see: http://zhlt.info/settings-for-final-compiles.html
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

  14. #14
    Registered User LightningTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    Add to the end of your existing Command line parameters e.g. IF you used ZHLT recommended args for final compiles, then
    where "x" is the number of threads (CPU supported) that you want to use:

    hlcsg -cliptype precise -wadautodetect -wadinclude NameOfWadFile -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlbsp -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlvis -full -threads x NameOfMapToCompile
    hlrad -extra -threads x NameOfMapToCompile

    see: http://zhlt.info/settings-for-final-compiles.html
    Ye just did that and it works , however is it possible to put this in the settings just like the with the process priority ?

  15. #15
    Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    788

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    @Wolf 3D you forget -nowadtextures for csg

    @LightringTerror,

    Yes completely if you need to set advanced than you try to try with Nem's tools BatchCompiler it has vhlt too.,
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

    Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

  16. #16
    Still learning wolf-3d's Avatar  
    Tester
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm.
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
    @Wolf 3D you forget -nowadtextures for csg

    @LightringTerror,

    Yes completely if you need to set advanced than you try to try with Nem's tools BatchCompiler it has vhlt too.,
    @SourceSkyBoxer, Ah yes my friend you are quite correct I did forget -nowadtextures (which I would also recommend people use) but the settings given/shown are only an example for Final Compiles (Taken from ZHLT), each mapper needs to experiment with various different settings and decide on their own personal preferences between how things look in game and any speed (or lag) trade offs, again both in game and for compile times.

    @LightningTerror, yes you can use the settings.txt file or as SourceSkyBoxer says Nems BatchCompiler or you can make your own dos batch file to run the "compile tools" or you could add the arguments to hammer/jackhammer/etc.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    52

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Is it possible to expand zhlt_coplanarpriority to work with other brush entities? I'm thinking of avoiding the unit gap when faking emissive textures:



    Of course with Jackhammer etc you can go below a unit, but this seems like it'd be a much nicer solution, if it's at all feasible.

  18. #18
    Italian Level Designer & Prop Modeller Alberto309's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy
    Posts
    10

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Petethegoat View Post
    Is it possible to expand zhlt_coplanarpriority to work with other brush entities? I'm thinking of avoiding the unit gap when faking emissive textures:



    Of course with Jackhammer etc you can go below a unit, but this seems like it'd be a much nicer solution, if it's at all feasible.
    Now that would be interesting and useful!

    Thanks for the new tools by the way, Vluzacn.

    Gamer since 1995

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Russian Far East
    Posts
    12

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Hello. After current update (not sure) I can not find .p0-p3 files after compilation. How to fix it?

  20. #20
    Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    788

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Welcome, Phantomas! He is correct friend by Donald Duck, hehe!
    If you have error than you need to use batchcompiler. If you can't try than compilers have possible bugs?
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

    Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Russian Far East
    Posts
    12

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
    Welcome, Phantomas! He is correct friend by Donald Duck, hehe!
    If you have error than you need to use batchcompiler. If you can't try than compilers have possible bugs?
    I don't have any errors and I already use Batcch Compiler (does not matter).
    After map compilation we have several files, like these: map.log, map.ext, map.prt, map.wa_, map.map, map.max. And should be exist files: map.p0, map.p1, map.p2, map.p3, but they did not exist. Why?

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    520

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    the *.Px files are for portal generation, they're not required for anything but debugging.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Russian Far East
    Posts
    12

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    the *.Px files are for portal generation, they're not required for anything but debugging.
    I need it for visualization in Jackhammer editor, for example:

    After loading .p1 file:

  24. #24
    Still learning wolf-3d's Avatar  
    Tester
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere Warm.
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
    I need it for visualization in Jackhammer editor, for example:

    After loading .p1 file:
    Finally worked out what is going on, The Missing .Px Files are a feature since VL33
    I guess it pays to read

    "----Now all temporary intermediate files are automatically deleted after hlbsp
    The only intermediate files that won't be deleted are .prt file, .wa_ file and .ext file."

    Just Re-build the hlbsp.exe (If you can't etc just say so and I will post a version of VL34 with .Px files "un-deleted").
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    520

    Re: Vluzacn's ZHLT v34 Update

    If the files are generated, just copy them before they're deleted to another location or under another name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •