Thread: Sven Co-op Entity Guide, created by Silencer & Banan2288

Contributor

Standard Crate Sven Co-op Entity Guide, created by Silencer & Banan2288

Few weeks before this post, Silencer gave me the access to his SC Entity Guide. His guide became so useful, that every mapper get used to it, always checking how entities works, how they will behave e.t.c. Today I'm presenting you 100%* finished Guide, that describing EVERY entity in game, with EVERY** keyvalues and flags, from basic and obvious entities, through those used less frequently, up to Vluzacn's light entities! Hundreds of updates and new entries makes this guide the number one manual, that every beginner or advanced mapper should have. Guide is ready for new Sven Co-op release, so that's perfect gift for mappers on Sven Co-op Steam release. Also when you have Google account, you can comment and share your opinion in each page. Tell me what do you think, and what I can change- I'll do it for sure!

Check Entity Guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/svenmanor/entguide

Have fun! Remember to check other Sven Co-op Manor features like model list, sprites list, skies list and more!

*-The new entities (of 5.0) will be described in detail as soon as I get access to beta/full game. I'm only a human, you may find something missing in other entities.
    **-Describing flags like "not in Deathmatch" is really not necessary in my opinion. Also other keyvalues like "Target" or "Delay before trigger" can be found in "Common Keyvalues" subpage of guide, like it was in Silencer's guide. Still you may find a lot of new keyvalues/flags in entities that are already described in old Entity Guide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entguidemainlogo.png 
Views:	953 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	16432  

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

Re: New 2015 Entity Guide, created by Silencer & Banan2288

Where is your donation link ? I want to donate you a 1000 of thank you´s
    Vote for Svencoop-president-devteam-member +1

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Contributor

Had wondered when I'd hear about it. Nice work! Put a reference in the guide hosted on my domain.

Manager

Wow, absolutely amazing. This has been needed for a long time. Thanks for putting your time into this. I'll see about updating the entity guide link on the front page and perhaps adding a mention to it in the news.

Contributor

Thanks for all good words guys! The entity guide is now being updated to version 5.0 (e.g. inventory-related keys in brush entities, sound replacement and customization in doors, buttons, trains e.t.c.).
    Keep in mind that new entities will be fully described after mod game release.

Tester

Thank You banan2288,

love the layout and effort you have put in.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

thanks! I look forward to browsing this thing

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    Had wondered when I'd hear about it. Nice work! Put a reference in the guide hosted on my domain.
    Thank you for your contribution and help!

Outstanding effort, tremendous result! You've accomplished something that needed doing for a looong time. Well done, that's a really invaluable resource for everyone, from novice to elite mapper! Good job.

Contributor

Good job

please add link anchor

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_links_bookmark

exporte file html to host other site

Thanks

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by spy-warrior View Post
    please add link anchor
    exporte file html to host other site
    I don't get it, where do you need anchors in "_monster", "_weapon", and "_items" entities? And what you want to be exported? You want to host this site elsewhere?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by banan2288 View Post
    I don't get it, where do you need anchors in "_monster", "_weapon", and "_items" entities? And what you want to be exported? You want to host this site elsewhere?
    Yes,

host/entity/#weapon_medkit
    host/entity/#ammo_357
    host/entity/#item_battery
    host/entity/#monster_houndeye

Tester

I think he has noticed that on:
    https://sites.google.com/site/svenmanor/entity-overview
    you either have not finished the detailed information or else have not yet linked to the pages up with "jump to anchors".
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by spy-warrior View Post
    Yes,

host/entity/#weapon_medkit
    host/entity/#ammo_357
    host/entity/#item_battery
    host/entity/#monster_houndeye
    Sorry, but still don't get it- do you want me to create subpages for each entity or create anchor for them? I can't export html file, even If I could, I'll rather won't do that, sorry, I want to be only person who manages this website, also I can't afford hosting domain (yes I have terrible financial problems, I can't even pay small amount for host my website elsewhere).
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    I think he has noticed that on:
    https://sites.google.com/site/svenmanor/entity-overview
    you either have not finished the detailed information or else have not yet linked to the pages up with "jump to anchors".
    That's sounds more understandable. The 'Entity Overview" page you have linked to is the old list that should be removed (or updated). It was easy method for entity overview before updated Entity Guide has been created. I may update this in a future, but this is not Entity Guide which you can find here: https://sites.google.com/site/svenmanor/entguide

Contributor

By suggestion of BlueSpark, I've updated entity guide with useful feature- now all new keyvalues or keyvalues group in old entities are marked GREEN, all updated entities are marked CYAN:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Przechwytywanie.png 
Views:	458 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	16575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Przechwytywanie2.png 
Views:	452 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	16576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Przechwytywanie3.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	16577

Now it's easy to see differences between current 4.8 and upcoming 5.0 version. Documentation has been updated by comparing current and upcoming FGD.

I've added more upcoming keyvalues from 5.0 FGD (not sure which version), still 5.0 keyvalues of unknown fuctionality are not described (I have no access to any kind of info/documentation of new SC version, I have still not received beta key of SC so I can't prepare guide for 5.0 release properly).

Wow, That's perfect Banan! Now it's so easy to see what's what, no more guesswork, no more grubbing through FGDs with text-editor, now a single glance shows what an entity was, where it's been updated, and the completely new entities.

So, as I understand it, in the master list -

* if an entity is blue it's an existing 4.8 one, with no 5.0 updates

* if an entity is cyan, it's an existing 4.8 one but with added 5.0 keyvalues which will be shown in green, and these green keys won't work with that entity in 4.8, only in 5.0

* if an entity is green, it's a completely new 5.0 one and no part of it will work with 4.8

Is that correct? If so, since there are new 5.0 keyvalues common to all ammo classes, did you just leave all ammo_x blue and lumped them under that cyan "All ammo_ entities:" heading, rather than making each one cyan?

Sorry to make the extra work, but the results are well worth it, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of old 4.8 maps which need to be fixed and maintained as well as (hopefully) new 5.0 mappers and therefore determining compatibility of entities or their sub-components is really important.

Good job! This is the now the definitive reference article for SC entities.

Lastly, I would like to petition the Development Team to please allow Banan access to the SC5 FGD, or preferably the whole lot - if he's prepared to put the huge effort in of preparing this reference manual, it seems only reasonable to provide the source information. This is so important to both 4.8 and 5.0 mappers and map maintainers that I will readily give up my key for this purpose, if none are currently available.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
    If an entity is blue it's an existing 4.8 one, with no 5.0 updates
    Correct, except weapon, item, ammo and monster entities which has also been updated, I put the cyan heading above them instead (I was too lazy to colour them all with this bugged google sites editor, couldn't just select them all and recolor). I see you have already managed those headings purpose, good

If an entity is cyan, it's an existing 4.8 one but with added 5.0 keyvalues which will be shown in green, and these green keys won't work with that entity in 4.8, only in 5.0
    That's right! There are also cyan keyvalues that are updated with 5.0 but exists in 4.8. Not all updated keyvalues are marked though (I could miss few of them).

If an entity is green, it's a completely new 5.0 one and no part of it will work with 4.8
    Yes, except 'monster_blkop_apache' which was missing in previous (4.8) FGD by mistake, but was still available in-game. Also func_vehicle isn't present in 5.0 FGD I have access to, but someone told it will appear in final version- it could be joke or mistake. Correct me if it will be not implemented.

Lastly, I would like to petition the Development Team to please allow Banan access to the SC5 FGD, or preferably the whole lot - if he's prepared to put the huge effort in of preparing this reference manual, it seems only reasonable to provide the source information. This is so important to both 4.8 and 5.0 mappers and map maintainers that I will readily give up my key for this purpose, if none are currently available.
    The FGD itself is not a problem. I have (unknown) version of FGD, I made placeholders for 5.0 keyvalue descriptions. The problem is that those keyvalues are hard to identify AND I have no beta build of the game so I can't test entities functionality in-game, and I can't test different behave combination between entities to check for bugs, issues or special condition that may be useful. I aked for copy multiple times but noone gave it to me. Also I don't know who I can ask for help to identify all new keyvalues (I think that those keyvalues functions will be revealed soon or later anyway). Building this site is a hard work, I'm bored of asking for game build or eventually adding me to SC team, I just let it go, it's not my business if I can't get help. Yes, I'm a little upset and surprised that developers don't want to use my free and easy-to-get help to expand their game documentation, so the community might have easier time mapping for the mod. Of course, noone ask me to do all of this, but still- isn't it a think that need to be done anyway to keep the professionalism of the serious standalone GAME, and it's current and future community?

Edit: Only thanks to Trempler who helped me a lot with this guide and FGD, also tried to add me to team and get beta key for me many times, without him I wouldn't even get the FGD, also thanks to Silencer who created original entity guide, he is the main reason of this guide existence. Also thanks to all users whose suggestions expanded the entity guide.
    Last edited by banan2288; 27-12-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Tester

Once again, outstanding work, ty.

Especially given you don't have proper access or knowledge for SC 5.0
    (I will try and revive the debate to get you access, given your commitment and that SC definitely needs some sort of guide & tutorials for SC 5.0 new features. What use is func_vehicle, "Player Inventory", "Team Deatmatch" etc, if no-one knows how to use them in map.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

+1

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

Definitely agreed on this one, it surprises me he doesn't have access to the beta. The lack of info at the FGD is the issue that I see being more important to solve. If it wasn't for your website, I would be lost.

Here we go again

Manager

The front page entity guide now links to this guide. (I also updated the links to the Map Making Info guide and the Server Guide, so now the info on our site is almost up to date, heh.)

Re: Sven Co-op Entity Guide, created by Silencer & Banan2288

Thanks for all the hard effort on both Silencer's and Banan2288's part. Hopefully it can be continually upgraded for those who need it. It would seem to make everyone's job easier. Has this ever been updated since SC5 came out? I do not want to start a debate on the inner workings of the mod, just curious as to the completeness of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by banan2288 View Post
    By suggestion of BlueSpark, I've updated entity guide with useful feature- now all new keyvalues or keyvalues group in old entities are marked GREEN, all updated entities are marked CYAN:

Now it's easy to see differences between current 4.8 and upcoming 5.0 version. Documentation has been updated by comparing current and upcoming FGD.
    ...a very useful feature, now silently abandoned? Back to grubbing through the fgd every time.. :/

Contributor

Re: Sven Co-op Entity Guide, created by Silencer & Banan2288

This guide is updated to third or fourth patch after 5.0 release, I couldn't find any major Fgd changes since that, but I'll take a Look at this today and see if anything in guide needs update. Also Note that fgd difference notes ate only fgd related, so if func_door code is updated but there is no fgd changes beyond that, it will not be listed in entity changelog of entity guide.

Edit: updated entities highlighting is back, also you can check all entity changes in Entity Guide -> Changelog section.
    Last edited by banan2288; 04-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.