Thread: Env_environment affects only models.

Contributor

Env_environment affects only models.

Like in title. Can't manage env_environment to work. Only entities and models are affected by light, but all surfaces are pitch black. I tried all env_environmet settings and checking for strange keyvalues. Also tried to make a sky in another map- same situation. I'm using Vluzacn's v33. Switching to v34 does not work either. Only one command parameter for hlRAD: -extra. I'm trying to resolve this from one hour now and I have enough -_-

Edit: oh god I found a solution. The solution so easy you will fell off you chairs laughing. The sky texture must be applied to the whole brush instead of only one surface. Thread can be removed, and I'll go back to my map in a walk of shame...
    Last edited by banan2288; 21-10-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Tester

Re: Env_environment affects only models.

The sky texture must be applied to the whole brush instead of only one surface. Thread can be removed, and I'll go back to my map in a walk of shame...
    Nope No Shame - Note it on your site everywhere, (i.e. under env_environment/compilers and under sky brushes.) This probelm has also tripped me up in the past and caused me to spend several hours trying to work out why.

Here is Tommy's quote on it (The general problem of mixing some "special" face types)
    In Halflife, brushes are required to have all faces be of the same type (solid, water, slime, sky, origin). Fortunately almost all textures are solid. If you put a water texture on one side of a brush which has dirt or steel textures for example, that would generate the error. The engine needs to know what is inside the brush, and it would be real confusing if different types could be put onto the same brush.

The fix is relatively simple. Simply find the offending brush, and then the faces with the inappropriate texture and change it. If a brush uses SKY, all sides must be sky. The same is true for CLIP, and ORIGIN textures as well. If you are careful it is possible to mix water textures (provided you don't accidently use a slime texture on the brush) http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/er...m#wrongversion
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Contributor

Thanks! I added this to light_environment entity, and sky tutorial.

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

Thats why I use a lot off Null Textures, If you combine null+skytexture you get a error message if I remember correctly
    Also this is not a big deal, also had this problem once and got pissed off xD

here
    Modstatus: Unknown