Thread: Random GoldSrc & Source stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm allergic to titles CryoDragon's Avatar  
    Artist

Re: Random GoldSrc & Source stuff

I've really got to learn how to 'bake' physics as an animation.

amaze

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CryoDragon View Post
    I've really got to learn how to 'bake' physics as an animation.
    Its reeeeeal difficult. Not just the phys sim, but making everything work with bones AND being able to export to SMD without breaking everything. Currently using 3dsmax with MASSFX simulations + Wallworm model tools Export SMD utility.

Not to mention with 1 weight per vertex you have a whole lot more fun especially when dealing with lowpoly. Take for example this thing ive been trying to make a flag simulation by making 4 bone chains (8 bones per chain) and applying wind to them then skinning a plane to the 4 chains:

Works alright with low wind sim, but when you crank it up you get vertex weight issues and major topology skewing:

Could be fixed with a lot of tweaking of the bone joint phys constraints but ugh its a ton of work and trial and error. I'm still learning this stuff too so im probably wasting a ton of time not knowing really what im doing.

holy shit! nice flag!

I'm allergic to titles CryoDragon's Avatar  
    Artist

I've been using 3DSMax 2012 with the SMD importer and exporter plugin so I might have better luck with a plugin exporter rather than an external converter, I'll download MassFX for 3DSMax and see how it goes.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CryoDragon View Post
    I've been using 3DSMax 2012 with the SMD importer and exporter plugin so I might have better luck with a plugin exporter rather than an external converter, I'll download MassFX for 3DSMax and see how it goes.
    Keep in mind some of the legacy exporters only work up till a certain version of max. Furthermore remember that models can only have EDIT: 128 bones so its easy to fuck up and go overboard with simulations. Im still trying to come up with a reliable method to split up sims into two models (Actually Half Life EP2 did this a lot with many of their effect models to fudge & surpass the 128 bone limit that source engine does;SFM I believe removed that limit).

Problem is that each time ive tried to separate the models things break and fuck up badly and im working on a method. I got inspired most for baked phys from studying the models from CounterStrike Condition Zero: Deleted scenes. They use a TON of MDL physbaked animations and I love the full use of what they had to work with.

Contributor

Progress!

So been trying to replicate separating a complex sim into two models (right here the two models are overlapping) and I got it to work so far. But one interesting note is that both models that make one animation also had to be split up into different meshes because the polygons exceeded the 3000poly per $body mesh part, so I had to deal with another layer of complexity.

This all means a lot of pre-planning, and having a root bone anchor is a must for alignment.

Contributor

Interesting note with this one, I found that rigging blobs to stretch was rather difficult due to hard weights, but I came up with a nice work around:
    I placed a third bone between the two bones that would stretch between the big blob and put a 50% position constraint on it pointed to the other bones and weighted it to the middle vertices. That way I had an automatic "soft" inbetween bone to compensate for lack of bone weights and prevent obvious mesh crumpling issues I had with my first attempts.

Contributor

Magnificent modelling skills!

Contributor

More animated props, fries are physbaked sim

Also I forgot about this one:

full explanation about this one here

nice work!

Contributor

Thanks, image animated
    good job models
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

I'd like to use some of these models in my maps. Would you post a link with them in it?

i remember about a thingy i did, replicate a gif in a model,each frame goes in a plane mesh individualy and in a pile, emulating such behavior will require 1 bone per plane moving back and fordward, ill try to do one quick and show how cool it is
    Hey there.

Contributor

More stuff:

I forgot to mention that several models I have here were originally made for source engine, complete with High poly companions for baking, but I "regressed" them to GoldSrc by reducing the lowpoly & using the same baking process only baking light and shadows directly into the diffuse instead of normal maps.

Using said baking techniques I also made the cage for this fan as an image with masked alphatest. Also it can barley be seen in this gif but notice the rotating knob gear engaged and pushed in button.

Using a sculpt and baking to a lowpoly I made a rock model:

The model was duplicated and shape was distorted to create different variants; then rocks were animated using physics baked simulation. Also the explosion is a bunch of planes that have had their corners stretched by bones to increase their size. A bunch together creates a "3D" explosion all done as an MDL.

Although this didnt get the results I quite wanted, I do like how I did achieve a proof of concept by animating planes in various motions to mimic flames. In addition I used a technique used in "pipebubbles.mdl" where I had looping embers move up, but hiding the loop down by flipping the planes at a certian spot so you dont see them due to backside culling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
    i remember about a thingy i did, replicate a gif in a model,each frame goes in a plane mesh individualy and in a pile, emulating such behavior will require 1 bone per plane moving back and fordward, ill try to do one quick and show how cool it is
    Do you have the mdl still, or a video? sounds like a brilliant idea especially considering the 10fps sprite limit.

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    I'd like to use some of these models in my maps. Would you post a link with them in it?
    Hit me up on steam and we could discuss. Not all of the models are totally working/finished; many are still kinda WIP/glitchy.

That aside, I will release a bunch of them (with SMD & .qc sources) when I finish my modelling tutorials.

Contributor

I wish I could make models like that! Those are amazing, like the physics and animations.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by banan2288 View Post
    I wish I could make models like that! Those are amazing, like the physics and animations.
    Agree, fantastic work there The303 plus if you can provide tutorials on how it is all done that it would be a god send.
    (We seem to be pushing development and ideas in all the right directions ATM, we just need to document it all, steal back some model creators, mappers and players from HL2 and then get some new and amazing content out.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The303 View Post
    sounds like a brilliant idea especially considering the 10fps sprite limit.
    You can get 20fps if you increment the frames using entities

...still not worth it though considering a 3 second 320x180 "movie" weighs about 4MB.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    You can get 20fps if you increment the frames using entities

...still not worth it though considering a 3 second 320x180 "movie" weighs about 4MB.
    Is this working by having a sprite per frame and a multi-manager firing each sprite?

why so many broken images ;-;

Contributor

can u do npc models, or vegetation

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The303 View Post
    Is this working by having a sprite per frame and a multi-manager firing each sprite?
    One sprite with 70 frames. It's a trigger_relay with 0.3333 delay and trigger_changevalue adding 1 to the "frame" keyvalue (and then some logic to handle restarting the video).

You can make it play faster than 20fps in singleplayer but servers can only network entity events at 20 iirc.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    can u do npc models, or vegetation
    Funny you mentioned, I was just testing out some techniques I found on polycount wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Foliage

The edit vertex normals way interested me greatly and I thought I would give it a try:

Setting up the lighting dome. Also keep in mind Ive been duplicating and flipping planes due to the fact that goldsrc does not have $nocull like source engine does

The result of copying the normals form the object to the planes

Final result. More uniform lighting and no godawful sharp hard plane lighting.
    (Note: i found that I had to set explicit normals before collapsing the modifier stack and in the exporter I had to go from face render normals to explicit export in order for this to work [wallworm exporter])

This is a total game changer for me, as it finally makes foliage not look badly lit and obvious.

As for NPC's, I only really made a model replacement. example here

Contributor

A quick rundown of using texture baking (usually for source/modern stuff) and done for goldsrc:

On the left we have the highpoly model I made and behind it the highpoly for the tread texture. On the right is the finished lowpoly model with combined baked textures.

This is how I combined the render-to-textures into the final diffuse.

A look at the tread texture creation. GoldSrc does not support UVW tiling off the grid, so what I had to do is use the UVW "Face" mode in 3dsmax to take each polygon around the circumference of the tire to be mapped to one 128X128 texture. Now I have a tiling texture so I dont have to use the whole unwrap and I can get around the off-grid limit this way.

A physbake result because why not:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast