Thread: Sven Co-op on Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sven Co-op on Linux

In the FAQ there is written:

Q: Is there a Linux version of Sven Co-op available for download?
    A: There is only a linux server port available for Sven Co-op 4.8 at the moment. A linux client port is in the works for the Steam version of Sven Co-op.

What is the current solution for installing Sven Co-op on Ubuntu?

The HTML-Editor on this forum is a desaster. I changes everytime I hit the clear-button on the keyboard to Arial because of the sentence I inserted, like now. I prefer phpBB.

I am sorry for Mr. Holowka. My uncle died one week ago after a long disease (apoplexy). I know both were good humans.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

Re: Sven Co-op on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by ichmachdochgarnich View Post
    The HTML-Editor on this forum is a desaster.
    HTML is disabled
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

What is the current solution for installing Sven Co-op on Ubuntu?
    Dear god, stop using like 5 different fonts for your post, nobody cares and it's horrible to read.

And you have two choices:

1) Install VirtualBox and create a VM with both 2D and 3D video acceleration. You can use whatever version of Windows that Steam supports, but I recommend Windows XP since it's light on resources. After you finish the bazillion updates, install Steam and play.

2) You can try using WINE to run the Windows version of Steam directly on Linux. WINE isn't perfect though and tends to break frequently. Sometimes you'll have to run an older version of WINE because of regressions.

There will not be a linux client port for 5.0.
    I would recommend not using Wine. There are some extreme issues.

Proud Member of the Young Leninist Komsomol! tyrlop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I'm killing myself

Contributor

Come on, the team are doing their best.

i'm gonna cry for the rest of my life ;_;

hi everyone,

i spotted a little "bug" on sc 5 on a laptop (hp 550). as everyone knows the intel x3100 only supports opengl version one but can use directx up to version 10 (i think that's a lie because dxdiag says it uses 9.0c). however i've installed sc 5 there and it had a low framerate because sc needs opengl 2.1 on windows. there is windows 10 newest build (11102) installed. wikipedia says that this gpu can use opengl 2.1 on linux. i see some options there to fix this bug.

1) sc 5 will be ported on linux (that's why i am writing this text)
    2) i switch to software-mode
    3) there will be directx support (as in earlier times for hl1 based games, i don't see directx in cstrike-setting at all, maybe because i play it on linux)
    4) i will buy a newer laptop

You can play SC 5.0 on Linux via wine.

do i have to use the steam-client for windows on wine?

do i have to use the steam-client for windows on wine?
    Yes run it in wine

this can help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikVFq-7YmM

this way is very buggy. i can't go to store but luckily i have sc 5 in the tray menu, because i tried it with the steam-linux-client. there is always that steamwebhelper.exe error. steam on wine likes to crash a lot. the sc 5 is loading and a few megabytes bigger than the linux-version (it's possible to install sc 5 on linux, but it's not startable).
    Last edited by ichmachdochgarnich; 26-01-2016 at 06:04 PM.

winecfg, lib overrides, disable "gameoverlayrenderer" outta fix issues.

i can't finde gameoverlayrederer or overrides. as seen in the video i've posted i disabled dwrite. when i'll do this for overrides and gameoverlayrenderer, nothing changes.

Proud Member of the Young Leninist Komsomol! tyrlop's Avatar

Hey I have linux too, and I'm also running on my new Hp 550 with 3gb Ram and Intel Graphics.
    I am able to play Sven Co-op via Wine, with low fps (4fps on some maps and 12-14 fps) it is horrible, but necessary as there has not yet been an update that makes you able to turn down the graphics and dynamic lights which causes this. I'm still hoping for a linux and mac release as I have stable and good fps on other goldsource games like Half Life and Day of Defeat, Counter Strike etc.
    Wine+Steam has this error you are talking about, that it can't load or see the Steam-store because of Steamwebhelper.exe (or whatever it is called). To install Sven Co-op without entering the steam store, find someone from your friendlist who has it and press play (access the game via steam-community-friendlist thing). This worked for me.
    I've tried many things but the fps is still very low, how to fix it? The game also crashes relatively many times under Wine, so it is not perfect.

winecfg, lib overrides, disable "gameoverlayrenderer" outta fix issues.
    What will this do?
    On steam.exe?

just wanted to say that sc 5 works on windows-steam with wine. it's very good except the steamwebhelper error, the little steam cloud bug and the letters on sc 5 are messed up. gameplay works fine but i couldn't connect every server. it says "your client.dll differs from the servers".

everytime i start sc 5, it takes some minutes because "microsoft vc redist package (step 1 and 2)" have to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlop View Post
    What will this do?
    On steam.exe?
    For svencoop.exe. This will disable the in-game overlay where you can read chat messages and take screenshots via Steam. It can be reached by pressing ctrl+tab (or is it shift+tab?). Anyway, this overlay cause issues on many games when playing on Wine so disabling it usually removes any errors and crashes that may occur. It's a simple first step anyway.

everytime i start sc 5, it takes some minutes because "microsoft vc redist package (step 1 and 2)" have to be installed.
    If you are playing on Wine run svencoop.exe directly and you won't get that installer popping up.

when i open svencoop.exe directly with wine runtime, it says "failed to initialize authentication interface. Are you sure Steam is running and logged in? Exitin..." then i press ok. nothing happens. when i click on the steam-generated shortcut on my desktop, it opens steam and loads "microsoft vc redist package (step 1 and 2)" which takes some time.

then i opened steam normally and clicked on svencoop.exe. everything works fine. thanks!

here is svencoop.exe located /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sven Co-op/

the disturbing part is that my client.dll und my maps differs from the servers. i can login only in some servers.

thank you for sc 5. works fine for me so far.

the disturbing part is that my client.dll und my maps differs from the servers. i can login only in some servers.

thank you for sc 5. works fine for me so far.
    This is because an update was released yesterday or the day before I think. Not all servers have updated yet.

i encountered 2 bugs when i use the short ways.

again:

long way: open sc5 in side steam, takes long time to show up because of microsoft vc redist package (step 1 and 2)"
    fast way: open sc5 with wine directly here /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sven Co-op/svencoop.exe

when i use the fast way, 2 bugs appear. if the first don't appear, the second does. i didn't configure anything.

bug 1: i start sc5 and i hear the music. i open a server and everything is fine, until i move or jump. i can hear anything and i can shoot but when i move or jump, sc5 freezes and i have to close the windows.

bug 2: appears when i don't hear the music at the beginning. i don't hear anything. i can move and shoot, but i can hear only link-highlighting in the menu and missed bullets in game play. i also don't hear ingame-voice

this happens also when i start the long way, don't play but close sc5 and again open sc5 but on the short way. it's wine who freezes. maybe some problem with pulseaudio. i use linux mint 17.2 kde, kde usually uses phonon and alsa.

there is an error on the long way too. i don't know exactly how to reproduce it. all i did was talking on skype or browsing the web until sc5 loads a server. when i think it's finished, i switch to the game and it's a very small window. i can't set it bigger like cs 1.6 linux-steam-non-wine version. i have to close it and again take the long way.

on the long way sc5 freezes too, if loading of microsoft vc redist package takes not more than 10 seconds.

did you try to make KVM on linux? you do a virtual machine that gets near 100% performance and install windows + drivers then steam then sven coop... kvm virtual machine gets direct access to the hardware if your cpu supports it

i vote for linux sc client dunno why they can't do it also the renderer is open gl!

wine is buggy, a piece of junk with regressions everywhere omg

any news about linux version of sc client?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast