Thread: Low frames/Second

Low frames/Second

Hey there folks.

I bought the valve anthology pack for christmas. Friggin love it. Every half life game runs impeccably!
    Except for Sven Co-op.

I used to play this game often years ago. I thought i'd download and play it again. It too runs well, but i'm constantly juggling between
    15-60 frames per second. Usually 15-25 consistently.

I have a HP Pavilion Dv6, AMD A8 with integrated graphics.
    Sven Co-op is the only game that has low FPS on my laptop. Half-Life 2 runs very well with everything maxed out graphicallly and sound wise.

I used the fps_max 60 command in the console, still no luck.

Any suggestions please? Thank you all!

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Re: Low frames/Second

- Set "cl_particles_max" to 0 in console
    - Install the low-definition model pack

Not much you can do other than that, sadly. The system requirements to play SC smoothly have increased significantly since version 4.0*. Mappers for this mod also tend to jam much more detail into maps than the original games did.

---

* A quick performance comparison on stadium3 to back that up:
    SC 3.0 = ~25-30 fps during combat
    SC 4.8 = ~10-20 fps during combat

Test conditions:
    - Laptop (HP Mini 311) that can play HL2 and HL1 fine but not SC 4.8.
    - 2 zombies + 2 gonomes + 2 op4 grunts.
    - LD models and 0 particles were used on the 4.8 test.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Manager

Your problem is most likely caused by the high-polygon counts of the NPC models and weapons.

Sven Co-op currently uses OpenGL immediate mode (old architecture). This means that polygons are sent to the graphics hardware every game frame.
    The integrated graphics on your laptop probably has limited bandwidth compared to conventional desktop PC graphics hardware. As a result, your framerate suffers.

In the future, we're intending on updating portions of the engine to support more modern rendering methods.

w00tguy123's suggestion to install the low-definition model pack is probably your best option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MaStEr_No0dLe View Post
    I have a HP Pavilion Dv6, AMD A8 with integrated graphics.
    This is your problem, you haven an AMD GPU.

The unstable frame rates are caused by styles lights. Stop and look around when your frame rate cycles rapidly and look for fading, flickering or switchable lights. You can do "r_speeds 1" in the console and it will show the time in milliseconds taken to render each frame.

Contributor

What about reducing the resolution?
    People don't often look at the fact that most screens are 1920 x 1080 where as when the majority of people used to have 1024 by 768 or 800 by 600.
    As Sniper has mentioned the engine uses OpenGL immediate mode, I also have issues with older games using Direct X5 that unfortunately haven't received updates or I don't want to pay for again.

Reducing the resolution won't help with styles lights, they destroy frames at any resolution.

I.O.A.F Spy/Support member Mrbond123's Avatar

Play the game as Windowed Borderless, that's improved lot of performance, i was faced this issue before but after I force the game to run with my GTX 960m, it's stable at 200fps at some maps, but sometime it's still drop down like 60-100 fps