Thread: Questions regarding server hosting in 5.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions regarding server hosting in 5.0

Hey everyone,

I sincerely apologize if the questions that I am about to ask have already been answered in some other form in another part of the forums. I did do a bit of searching, but wasn't able to find very many satisfactory answers for the questions I have, so I figured I'd post here and maybe some knowledgeable folk could help me out

First off, what are the repercussions that Sven Co-op 5.0 will have on RIPENTED maps if any at all? This is very important to me as my server almost exclusively runs ripented maps. Will these maps be broken? If so, what will need to be done to get them in working order again if possible?

Secondly, what are the impacts the update will have on plugins and plugin APIs like Metamod? I did read somewhere that Metamod will be broken upon the release of 5.0. Have there been any further developments as far as what is to be done with Metamod post release?

Lastly, how is the new workshop system going to work for dedicated servers? Are you guys planning to make a VPK style system similar to games like Left 4 Dead (2) where server owners simply install the map packs to their server box and call it a day? Or will the workshop simply be an automated version of the current process of installing custom content for Sven (meaning server ops won't do anything differently)?

Thanks!

Manager

Re: Questions regarding server hosting in 5.0

You can still run RIPENT'd maps as you did before.

I did have Metamod working once when I tried, this would have been nearly a year ago though. I haven't heard about any further testing on this.

Workshop hasn't been started. If I had my way a configuration file would specify a list of mod ID's and that would be it.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

func_vehicle fanatic Homosapien's Avatar

It looks like Metamod-P (the proper one to use with our mod) has already been updated:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/225840...1477865729381/

I haven't tried it out myself yet, but I can see that Misfire already has a 5.0 server up running SCXPM.

This is great news. Thanks a bunch you two!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Workshop hasn't been started. If I had my way a configuration file would specify a list of mod ID's and that would be it.
    It would be nice if SC never got workshop support, workshop is cancer.

Not only is the workshop license draconian, it adds senseless complexity to an otherwise easy process.

What do you mean draconian? Can't the author pick the license?

I tried Metamod-P last week and it worked. AMXX also works. I haven't tested their APIs though.

Is there any way i can get amxmod to work with 5.0? because it keeps crashing on my lan server

Is it a default AMXX install or does it have plugins added to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Solokiller View Post
    Is it a default AMXX install or does it have plugins added to it?
    refular amxmodx install with all the default plugins it keeps crashing when i load a map it crashes

Are you using Metamod-P? The AMXX installer comes with the older Metamod dll, so it won't work.

Are you using Metamod-P? The AMXX installer comes with the older Metamod dll, so it won't work.
    i have metamod p and i tried to install it and it still crashed D:

Looks like Metamod-P isn't updated to handle some of our changes. We'll have to update its engine header definitions.

Looks like Metamod-P isn't updated to handle some of our changes. We'll have to update its engine header definitions.
    Is there any other way i can install metamod and amx mod?

None that will work. We'll have to update Metamod-P ourselves to make it work.

Got it working using johnnyboy0719's metamod -p support fix seen here

I've created a new version of Metamod-P that adds our new functions to them: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...79/metamod.rar

Windows only for now, use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    What do you mean draconian? Can't the author pick the license?
    And nobody bothers reading the Steam Subscriber Agreement. I guess you also didn't read the part where you're not allowed to sue them or file class action lawsuits against them.

All content uploaded to the workshop becomes the collective property of Valve and they're allowed to do whatever they want with it. This includes making profit off of your work and they're not required to pay you a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    And nobody bothers reading the Steam Subscriber Agreement. I guess you also didn't read the part where you're not allowed to sue them or file class action lawsuits against them.

All content uploaded to the workshop becomes the collective property of Valve and they're allowed to do whatever they want with it. This includes making profit off of your work and they're not required to pay you a dime.
    lol wow thats some bullshit. I know a guy who got massive dollar for a map included with CS:GO so i thought workshop was cooleo. also they have double standards like no boobs but headshot gore violence is ok. or its ok in Duke Nukem Forever game and not anyplace else.

also you should be allowed to remove money from the Steam Wallet imho. I mean they charge tax on virtual items and make money off the market, people should be able to make money too and not have to go around with PayPal and make shadey deals which they do now. legalize it

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It would be nice if SC never got workshop support, workshop is cancer.

Not only is the workshop license draconian, it adds senseless complexity to an otherwise easy process.
    I ran a CS:GO server with workshop maps and I can confirm it is utter cancer which totally complicates everything.

Quote Originally Posted by CryoKeen View Post
    also you should be allowed to remove money from the Steam Wallet imho. I mean they charge tax on virtual items and make money off the market, people should be able to make money too and not have to go around with PayPal and make shadey deals which they do now. legalize it
    Valve's spiel on why they don't allow you to get cash out of the system is because it makes fraud and theft easier, but it's already ridiculously easy to do such things.

As for making money off that CS:GO map, it just reiterates what I said. Valve doesn't have to pay you a dime, but they often do give lump sum payments for valuable content. But that's only a lump sum without royalties, valve gets all rights to the content and they continue to make money from new CS:GO sales with the content.

Quote Originally Posted by nico View Post
    I ran a CS:GO server with workshop maps and I can confirm it is utter cancer which totally complicates everything.
    If you've been on the HLDS mailing list for any length of time, you'll have noticed a trend where Valve is becoming increasingly hostile towards community server hosting. Valve used to have open discussion on the mailing list and now it's more of a one way announcement system where they just push out update notifications and let the server admins openly complain about issues to never have them solved. The only time Valve ever responds is when there's a significant security problem, but other than that they don't do anything but announce updates. They've also implemented lots of changes to popular games like TF2 that make community servers harder to find unless you know what you're doing.

With CS:GO, it's even harder to run a community server. Unlike in the past where anyone could host a server, you now must have a steam account with the actual game purchased on the account, plus have at least $5 in your steam wallet.

I've compiled Metamod-P on Linux, here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...amod-Linux.rar

I haven't tested it, so it might not work.

I didn't want to make a new thread seeing as I've got a server hosting question for SC 5.0, hope this is ok.

I did a quick google search to see about hosting a SC server for me and my friends on my VDS (running on Windows Server) for the big 5.0 release on Steam, but the guide on the SC website is apparently from 2004, and a chunk of the hyperlinks in it are out of date. Is the process still relevant/accurate despite these missing items?

Mapper

if you want to host a 5.0 server. you have to use the steamcmd app for hosting a server. the distribution will be over steam same as with the server files.

That doesn't really answer my question about whether or not the process is still the same, just raises more. Do I just install HLDS like the previous guide says but now just through SteamCMD, or are you implying that there will be something added to SteamCMD specifically for SC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast