Thread: Creating a Sven Co-op map

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Creating a Sven Co-op map

As far as I can see the tutorial doesn't really point out that you have to use real textures. The ones in the ZHLT.wad are special tool textures, they don't always act the way you expect them to. And as a beginner you probably don't need them yet.

Go into Valve Hammer settings and add various wad files from the svencoop folder (nw.wad is a good one, for instance). Now try to add some of those textures to your map and compile again.

Tester

^ Hezus what he said about ZHLT.wad, you should also be aware that "Other Special" textures exist. Their names normally start with the following characters or letters:

{, ~, +/-, 0 to 9 ( see: http://www.countermap2.com/Tutorials...ca5.html?id=53 for more info.)

PS: Stick in there it will all eventually start to make sense.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Thanks everyone. I am now the proud owner of a box with three alien slaves, a light and a health recharger along with "rock" wallpaper. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am now the proud owner of a box with three alien slaves, a light and a health recharger along with "rock" wallpaper. ^_^
    Nice Make sure to throw a few weapons in there as well, or else those slaves are going to kick your ass

I have a new problem. Using the turtorial at-

http://twhl.info/tutorial.php?id=26

and having the ignore group toggled it says to press and hold the Ctrl Key as you Left Click on multiple walls so that you can change all the ones you want at that moment with the same texture.

Although I can click three floors at once in my map and keep them highlighted, when I do Shift A to bring up the texture editor it unselects all my floors. If I try to Ctrl Left Click the floors again with the popout texture tool (The box is named "Face Properties" so there is no confusion.), nothing happens. I just have a "paint can" for a pointer. Am I doing something wrong? I thought I was following the directions well enough. I can use the paint can on each floor to change it, but that is not part of the lesson.

Edit: I withdraw my question. For some reason I had not realized that the floors or walls for that matter, even though seemed to be unhilighted when doing Shift A, in the 3D screen they were still shown to be selected. Of course it helps if I had had my map on full textured polygons too, but I digress. However now I can see what something looks like instantly instead of having to try the game out everytime which was just time consuming.
    Last edited by Lamar; 14-11-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Different question. (New post.) It says to check for leaks, hit the tide key "~" and type "pointfile". But it tells me-

"Could not establish connection to Steam servers.

]pointfile
    couldn't open maps\ "insert map name.pts""

I am not online, but I have not been the entire time I have been making this map. I just Start New Game and create my own server and choose my test map. Any suggestions?

Manager

In Hammer, go to Map -> Load Pointfile. In the directory window that pops up, go to the folder where you compile your map. Then load the .lin or .pts file.

I am not aware of any mysterious console-based pointfile loading feature that you are attempting.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito View Post
    I am not aware of any mysterious console-based pointfile loading feature that you are attempting.
    "Another way to check for a LEAK is to bring up the console with the ~ key and type in pointfile. If there is a LEAK, the pointfile will be generated and it will tell you the number of points read. If it is 0 then congratulations: your map doesn't LEAK...yet."

I assumed that meant while in game, like how you enter commands while playing. But I shall try what you said, although that may be the same as the other way to do it in the tutorial.

I would also load pointfile in Hammer. It also shows you where the leak is and you can directly fix it. On my personal recommendation: J.A.C.K Editor pointfile system is a lot better than Hammer's, since it displays the pointfile guideline as a multicoloured line. The more red it gets the closer to the leak you are. Makes it really quick and easy to find the leak.

Manager

If the compile doesn't fail with an error message, there is no leak. Might be easier to just assume there isn't a leak until the compile stops working or your map does compile but it's fullbright.

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

]pointfile
    couldn't open maps\ "insert map name.pts""
    Is the point file in the maps/ folder?
    if you copy automaticly after compile, it probably is like JP said: there is no point file, which means no leak.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Thank you everyone. I am currently working on making an exit sign. I made the sign "EXIT1" 64x32 as the texture shows and thin enough to look realistic. I even added the Minimum light level 1 to have it show lit up.

But even before I do all that I am having a heck of a time trying to align it to my wall properly above the corridor. It is not so much as placing the object (I guess the brush is the correct term...) where I need it, but when ever I move it- be it up, down, left or right, the face of the sign actually shifts so the word "EXIT" is no longer on the face as it should be, but shifted. So it looks like "ITEX" or "XITE" or any other number of combinations.

I find that strange, because the object, thus the texture, was already created and in my mind should be perminate. So why would it "scroll" when moved? Also I tried both to create it straight from the texture EXIT1 and using a generic wall texture and then switch it to the EXIT by applying that texture, but it still moves...

I even try to create it at different heights or sides of the corridor just to see if I at least placed the box right and if not moved it it would be fine. But it still just comes out however it wants it seems. I mean I might have a door way anywhere, but the exit sign may never line up properly... That can not be right... What am I doing wrong?

snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks Green Astronauts's Avatar

So why would it "scroll" when moved?
    Probably because you don't have "Texture Lock" enabled. Look for a small button that says "tl".
    In-game name:

Administrator at the ModRiotGaming servers

Instead of using texture lock and forgetting it on and messing up half the map, use the texture tool. Select the face and click the center button.

Thanks both of you. I will use each to suit my needs. However when moving the exit sign, at least from the top (x/y) view, at Snap: On Grid 128 it stays centered as well. Of course then I can not line it up against the wall, but I thought that was weird that one grid amount allows it to move while centered while others do not. Thanks again! Off to the furniture one!

Edit: Actually that's after I fix my first leak...

Edit 2: I fixed it. Some how I had moved my hallway just slightly, assuming while feverishly clicking on several exit signs and moving them around wondering why in the world the word "EXIT" would scroll on them.
    Last edited by Lamar; 17-11-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Please help. I'm trying to run a map without much success. Here's the log

** Executing...
    ** Command: Change Directory
    ** Parameters: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure.map" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure.map"

** Executing...
    ** Command: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-CSG~1.EXE
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"

hlcsg v3.4-VL34-SC5.0 64-bit (Mar 2 2016)
    Zoner's Half-Life Compilation Tools -- Custom build for Sven Co-op 5.0
    Based on code modifications by Vluzacn (VL34)
    Based on code modifications by Sean 'Zoner' Cavanaugh (3.4)
    Based on Valve's version, modified with permission.
    Submit detailed bug reports to http://forums.svencoop.com
    ----- BEGIN hlcsg -----
    Command line: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-CSG~1.EXE "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"
    Arguments: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"
    Entering C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure.map

Current hlcsg Settings
    Name | Setting | Default
    ---------------------|-----------|-------------------------
    threads [ 4 ] [ Varies ]
    verbose [ off ] [ off ]
    log [ on ] [ on ]
    reset logfile [ on ] [ on ]
    developer [ 0 ] [ 0 ]
    chart [ off ] [ off ]
    estimate [ off ] [ off ]
    max texture memory [ 67108864 ] [ 67108864 ]
    max lighting memory [ 67108864 ] [ 67108864 ]
    priority [ Normal ] [ Normal ]

noclip [ off ] [ off ]
    null texture stripping[ on ] [ on ]
    clipnode economy mode [ off ] [ off ]
    clip hull type [ simple ] [ simple ]
    onlyents [ off ] [ off ]
    wadtextures [ on ] [ on ]
    skyclip [ on ] [ on ]
    hullfile [ None ] [ None ]
    wad configuration file[ None ] [ None ]
    wad.cfg group name [ None ] [ None ]
    nullfile [ None ] [ None ]
    min surface area [ 0.000 ] [ 0.000 ]
    brush union threshold [ 0.000 ] [ 0.000 ]
    map scaling [ None ] [ None ]
    light name optimize [ on ] [ on ]
    convert game_text [ on ] [ on ]

Using mapfile wad configuration
    Wadinclude list :
    [zhlt.wad]

CreateBrush:
    Error: Entity 0, Brush 19, Side 3: plane with no normal
    Error: plane with no normal
    Description: The map has a problem which must be fixed
    Howto Fix: Check the file http://www.zhlt.info/common-mapping-problems.html for a detailed explanation of this problem

(0.01 seconds)

----- END hlcsg -----

** Executing...
    ** Command: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-BSP~1.EXE
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"

hlbsp v3.4-VL34-SC5.0 64-bit (Mar 2 2016)
    ----- BEGIN hlbsp -----
    Command line: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-BSP~1.EXE "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"
    Arguments: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"
    >> There was a problem compiling the map.
    >> Check the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure.log for the cause.

----- END hlbsp -----

** Executing...
    ** Command: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-RAD~1.EXE

hlrad v3.4-VL34-SC5.0 64-bit (Mar 2 2016)
    ----- BEGIN hlrad -----
    Command line: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~2\mapping\COMPIL~1\ SC-RAD~1.EXE "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure"
    >> There was a problem compiling the map.
    >> Check the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sven Co-op\svencoop_addon\maps\Xenventure.log for the cause.

----- END hlrad -----

** Executing...
    ** Command: C:\PROGRA~2\Steam\STEAMA~1\common\SVENCO~1\svencoop.exe
    ** Parameters: -console -sw -w 1600 -h 900 +sv_cheats 1 +map "Xenventure"

"CreateBrush:
    Error: Entity 0, Brush 19, Side 3: plane with no normal
    Error: plane with no normal
    Description: The map has a problem which must be fixed"

Plane with no normal

Example:

Entity 10, Brush 0, Side 4: plane with no normal
    Entity 10, Brush 0, Side 5: plane with no normal
    This error is always caused by vertex manipulation. A plane is defined by 3 unique coordinates. If any of the three coordinates are the same, then you don't really have a plane (its either a line or a point). There is no way to fix this error other than to delete the brush and recreate it completely.

This is most commonly caused by dragging a vertex ontop of another to destroy it for several vertexes of the same face. The resulting brush can even look correct, but the side which you have destroyed can still have a point or two defined for it. The proper way to remove a face is to use a clipper. If the object is simple (say converting a square to a wedge), then dragging an edge via the yellow control points to merge multiple vertexes at once will probably be safe.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DrRhubarb; 01-12-2016 at 11:47 AM.

- In the Textures tab, add whichever .wads you wish to use.
    Hey, sry if this was asked before, but I wonder what WAD to use.
    I just started mapping and want something "simple". What would you suggest to start with?

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFox4 View Post
    Hey, sry if this was asked before, but I wonder what WAD to use.
    I just started mapping and want something "simple". What would you suggest to start with?
    Go with halflife.wad, decals.wad, liquids.wad. Those are the default HL ones. If you want something more high-res use nw.wad.

Thank you, I'll go with those.

I found .wads in "Sven Co-op/svencoop", "Sven Co-op/svencoop_addon" and "Sven Co-op/svencoop_downloads". Could I use all of them? Which where included?

Question Re: Creating a Sven Co-op map

Im having a problem here:

When compiling a map, after the game loads, the console shows the following log:

Set primary sound buffer format: yes
    2 channel(s)
    16 bits/sample
    11025 bytes/sec
    DirectSound initialized
    Parsed 257 text messages
    WARNING: failed to locate sequence file global
    joystick not found -- driver not present

[Sound Engine] Audio Driver: Altavoces / Auricular (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
    execing valve.rc
    couldn't exec language.cfg
    execing autoexec.cfg
    "deathmatch" changed to "1"
    "pausable" changed to "0"
    ERROR: couldn't open custom.hpk.
    execing config.cfg
    execing userconfig.cfg

Adding: svencoop/dlls/server.dll
    MP3_InitStream(29, media\gamestartup.mp3) successful
    Dll loaded for mod Sven Co-op 5.14
    Angelscript: Registering Sven Co-op Angelscript API
    Angelscript version: 2.31.2
    SC API version: 1.0 Beta
    Angelscript: Finished registering Sven Co-op Angelscript API
    Angelscript: Clearing temporary directory './scripts/plugins/temp'
    Angelscript: Clearing temporary directory './scripts/maps/temp'
    map change failed: 'test' not found on server.

Any help...?

abrigum

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFox4 View Post
    Thank you, I'll go with those.

I found .wads in "Sven Co-op/svencoop", "Sven Co-op/svencoop_addon" and "Sven Co-op/svencoop_downloads". Could I use all of them? Which where included?
    The game will include whichever it finds. "addon" first, then "downloads", and finally the base. If you're using/producing your own WADs for your map you should put them in "addon" first. (This is the best folder for your own or manually installed custom content.)

Quote Originally Posted by NANVILLE View Post
    Im having a problem here:

When compiling a map, after the game loads, the console shows the following log:

map change failed: 'test' not found on server.

Any help...?
    That just means the file "test.bsp" couldn't be found. Check that it exists in the maps folder within your game.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Tester

That just means the file "test.bsp" couldn't be found. Check that it exists in the maps folder within your game.
    As per Adam, the test.bsp needs to be in ~/svencoop_addon/maps/ (safest/preferred location for custom content.)

Other possibilities:
    - Check the test.log for any compile errors.
    - Are you trying to run the map from within "Hammer" or via F9 ?
    (If so don't. Instead start Sven Coop -> select "Start New Game" -> scroll to "test")

PS: Tell us if fixes problem or not.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Registered User James_the_Suezo's Avatar

when i spawn on my map, i die, is there a problem?

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

We need more informations about what you did
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast