Thread: [SC5 Player Model Pack] Color Adjustable Models

[SC5 Player Model Pack] Color Adjustable Models

Hi everyone,

I made a player model pack containing some of the models that came with SC5, except their clothing colors are adjustable this time around.
    The pack currently contains the following models: barniel, BS_Unarmored_Barney_1, BS_Unarmored_Barney_2

I also included edited versions of the OP4 grunt models so that they use both of the adjustable colors instead of just one.

I may update this pack in the future with more models if people like it and I get the time to work on it. Hope you enjoy!

UPDATE 16/01/31:
    - Created an HD version of Otis as requested below. Not sure who created the original model, so if the creator wants me to take it down, I will.

UPDATE 16/01/30:
    - Added: HL_Construction, HL_Gus, kate
    - New version uploaded in two different packs, one of the packs replaces the original models while the other one adds them as additional player models, so you do not lose the original versions of the models.

DOWNLOAD:
    Version that replaces default models
    Version that adds the new models without replacing anything (This version also contains a different version of HL_Construction, which you can see on the far right of the second picture)
    HD Otis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	16760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview_02.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	16766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stadium4-2016-01-31-0001.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	16787  
    Last edited by bench; 31-01-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Been playing since 2000, Joined the threads late, Still killin and having fun even. Better late than never. Darkassassin198's Avatar

Re: [SC5 Player Model Pack] Color Adjustable Models

Nice work man, could you do the same to kate or maybe a few other characters which seems fitting?
    Did you know...if you touch a wall you run faster?

now try it with crates.

Tester

Well done. I like what you did there. Do these rewrite the original models, or did you actually give them different names?

I miss you so much, dear!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkassassin198 View Post
    Nice work man, could you do the same to kate or maybe a few other characters which seems fitting?
    I'm planning to do Kate next when I get around to doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Military Police View Post
    Well done. I like what you did there. Do these rewrite the original models, or did you actually give them different names?
    The zip file I uploaded uses the same names, but a simple rename of them should work too. I'm going to upload a pack with differently named models tomorrow to save people the trouble, hopefully with some more characters as well.

Been playing since 2000, Joined the threads late, Still killin and having fun even. Better late than never. Darkassassin198's Avatar

Quick question. could you do a HD otis?

now try it with crates.

Contributor

Rock on. Also Im trying to find a good method to remap pallette ranges* . So far the only method I know wastes the first half of the pallete. Wally only does translation on single colors at a time.

(note Im attempting to write a method into an upcoming tutorial on color remappable playermodels)

* from the valve modelling DOC: "To support team color remapping, textures must be named “DM_Base.bmp” (only one map with this name is allowed per model, naturally). Remappable textures are 8 bit .bmp files like regular textures. There are two remappable ranges of 32 colors each, from palette index 193 through 224 and 225 through 256."

Thanks for the great response everyone. I updated the original post with a new version. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkassassin198 View Post
    Quick question. could you do a HD otis?
    I can try. Do you have a particular model in mind, or should I just look for one?

Quote Originally Posted by The303 View Post
    (...)
    Would be nice if there was a better way to do this. I am currently picking each color manually for the color table, which is probably not the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bench View Post
    Thanks for the great response everyone. I updated the original post with a new version. Check it out!

I can try. Do you have a particular model in mind, or should I just look for one?

Would be nice if there was a better way to do this. I am currently picking each color manually for the color table, which is probably not the best way to do it.
    Well the only model in mind is the ones in the game already.

now try it with crates.

Contributor

Great job! Colors add a lot of variety to the game, those models should be official!

Contributor

(...)
    Woah, nice job! Will definitely check this out.

EDIT: I have uploaded an HD Otis model. I could not get the original NPC models to use the player animations as I would have to rename their bones which I know nothing about so I just went and got an Otis model from a model pack. I do not know who the original creator was, so I cannot give credit sadly.
    Last edited by bench; 31-01-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Check Model Showcase Thread! Recaldy's Avatar

Gonna be that guy and ask...can you host it elsewhere? Rather not install a downloader for one thing.

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

Good job Bench, I was surprised these models didn't came already colorable.

(stuff)
    Amazing work as always, The303. Waiting for that video.

Here we go again

So I have finally finished a proof-of concept after several frustrating hours:

Turns out the documentation is wrong for the range color 1 index is:
    160~191
    Color2:
    192~223
    And added fun is that your preview has to have color 1 & 2 ranges SWAPPED! ugh.

Current photoshop+wally method I have:
    1.) get your dm_base image and isolate the 2 areas of color you want changable
    2.) copy the 2 selection and paste them into 2 different documents with the exact same dimentions as your original (using paste special > paste in place). Also save the selections in each document as an alpha channel. Make a background layer of black or the darkest color of your image.
    3.) In your original, load the selections for the 2 areas and fill them with black
    4.) Then on your original set to indexed colors but limit the amount of colors to 160. This will build the first 160 colors. Save a BMP copy out named "base"
    5.) In your copied color 1 document set it to indexed but have 32 colors max save a copy out as "color1"
    6.) Do the same for color 2

7.) Now open wally (because photoshop cannot save simple text-editable pallete format) and open the 3. Select each image and go to edit pallete and go to save pallete. Do it for all 3 so now you have a base.pal, color1.pal, color2.pal
    8.) Now the tricky part... Open all 3 .pal files in notepad++ (I like it because it has lines numbers).
    9.) Go to color1.pal and select all the numbers in line 4 to 35 and copy.
    10.) Go to base.pal and paste these into lines line 164 to 195.
    11.) Go to color2.pal and select all the numbers in line 4 to 35 and copy.
    12.) Go to base.pal and paste these into lines line 196 to 227.
    13.) check the end of the document, there shoudl be a bunch of lines that say "0 0 0" and the last "0 0 0" should be at 259. There should be a blank space on line 260. If there is no line 260 or if the document ends at 261 delete the line. This is important or else the pallete file will corrupt. Save the pallete as "fixed.pal"

14)Open base.bmp in wally and go to load pallete and load "fixed.pal" Then go to save the image as "fixed.bmp"
    15) Go back to photoshop and go open "fixed.bmp". Go to both "color1.bmp" and "color2.bmp" which you should still have open in photoshop, and select the alpha channel. Copy paste special > paste in place "fixed.bmp" for both color1 & color parts.
    16) Final step is go to image size then go uncheck "resample" and change the resolution from 96 to 72dpi (for some stupid reason wally saves as 96 which breaks all our hard work). Then save as "dm_base.bmp". Now compile your model.

Thumbnail image method:
    1.) Open fixed.pal, then swap the contents of lines 164 to 195 with 196 to 227. You may need to copy out to another text document to do this. Save as "fixedthumb.pal"
    2.) Open dm_base.bmp in wally and load "fixedthumb.pal" Save as "thumbnail.bmp", then save out the pallette as "fixedthumb.ACT"
    3.) Open thumbnail.bmp and set mode to RBG color (this is for resizeing purposes.) Resize to 160 X 200 @ 72dpi. Then go to mode > indexed > custom pallete and load "fixedthumb.act". Save your image as the same name as your model in the model folder of your playermodel.

Holy shit that took a while, I will have to make a video because this is confusing as shit. Not as fast as I wanted but it works and takes advantage of 32 colors on each range properly with minimal waste. I still cannot find a reliable pallete swapping program just yet so wally+notepad has to do for now.

EDIT: Ive found a better method using tilesetpal than text editing and I can cut wally out of the equation and add another 32 colors to the base image. Will do a rewrite tomorrow or later.
    Hey 303, I got a question with a small request (if you want to) I've been trying to use my avatar as my ingame spray but when I spray my cat it's not showing right, like it shows up as a blurry outline of the cat, nothing is colored in and it's hard to even see the cat at all, I've tried wally and hltagconverted but I couldn't understand the wally one that well, the HLTAG made some sense but I either kept messing something up or I don't know, I just kind of gave up, I ask could you help me out or if you aren't too busy make it into a spray?

now try it with crates.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaldy View Post
    Gonna be that guy and ask...can you host it elsewhere? Rather not install a downloader for one thing.
    There should be a button that says "Download through your browser". You don't need the downloader.

EDIT: If that isn't the case for some reason, I suppose I can try a different site. I'm up for suggestions.

Check Model Showcase Thread! Recaldy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bench View Post
    There should be a button that says "Download through your browser". You don't need the downloader.

EDIT: If that isn't the case for some reason, I suppose I can try a different site. I'm up for suggestions.
    No that option worked just fine. Thanks.

Contributor

THE COLOR REMAP TUTORIAL IS DONE, HEAD ON OVER HERE:
    http://forums.svencoop.com/showthrea...VIDEO?p=513530

also, Darkassassin198 you should probably PM me.

Pardon to zombify this thread, but does anyone have a working link for these models? The MEGA link is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryM33t View Post
    Pardon to zombify this thread, but does anyone have a working link for these models? The MEGA link is dead.
    Sorry for the dead download link. I reuploaded them here.