Thread: Solid SKY

Question Solid SKY

How I can create Solid SKY? Like some places on de_clan1_mill:

Sky just like simple wall (brush), not like water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04ds9d7rguq7.gif 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	16562  

Re: Solid SKY

Which compiler are you using? ZHLT's documentation states that it generates clip nodes for sky brushes, disabled with -noskyclip. You can try using that. If that doesn't work, try using a thin (1 unit thick) sky brush. I've noticed that thicker brushes generate water-like areas inside them, so using a really thin brush should minimize that.

you can use a texture called clip and put that over/before the sky as well all 6 sides on a block and flatten it against the sky like 16 units tall or somethin

I use latest VHLT (Vluzacn's ZHLT).
    "-noskyclip" — different. It's just making SKY brushes solid for players.

Yes, thin SKY brushes can minimize that, but on de_clan1_mill we can see SKY faces "without inside content" and full solid (like simple brushes, solid for all, even grenades) how to make that SKY ... still secret .

SKY on de_clan1_mill (just end of map behind it):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crafty 2015-12-14 19-42-26-42.gif 
Views:	53 
Size:	996.5 KB 
ID:	16563
    SKY on my map (one side have 1 unit thickness minimization):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crafty 2015-12-14 19-42-56-25.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	16564

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
    I use latest VHLT (Vluzacn's ZHLT).
    "-noskyclip" — different. It's just making SKY brushes solid for players.

Yes, thin SKY brushes can minimize that, but on de_clan1_mill we can see SKY faces "without inside content" and full solid (like simple brushes, solid for all, even grenades) how to make that SKY ... still secret .
    Is this what you want ?

https://youtu.be/bauy-75lA1E
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    Is this what you want ?

https://youtu.be/bauy-75lA1E
    Yes!

Tester

The solution is "bad mapping practice", essentially you mix the "inside contents" of a sky brush by applying a "Solid Texture" to the reverse side and/or one of the "sky join edges".

This confuses both the compiler and HL1 engine, enough to produce "sky clipping or clip nodes" which causes the "Solid effect".

In earlier compilers this would throw a "Mixed Contents Error", whereas newer compilers such as VHLT or Vluzacn's ZHLT, throw a "Mixed Contents Warning" instead.

There are several disadvantages when doing this : Entity light_environment [see link] problems -> NPC models not being lit properly, Also depending on your map layout and design you could cause "r_speeds problems" and "Bad viz" (ability to see other parts of a map through the Sky Brush).

Quote from Tommy of Escondido:
    "In Halflife, brushes are required to have all faces be of the same type (solid, water, slime, sky, origin). Fortunately almost all textures are solid. If you put a water texture on one side of a brush which has dirt or steel textures for example, that would generate the error. The engine needs to know what is inside the brush, and it would be real confusing if different types could be put onto the same brush."

There is Nothing Stopping you from "Mixing the "Sky Brush Contents" [ATM] but I personally would go with CryoKeen:
    "... use a texture called clip and put that over/before the sky as well all 6 sides on a block and flatten it against the sky like 16 units tall or something"
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Thank you very much! I tested it right now and it's works, but too many disadvantages (bad lighting in the main) . Because of this I will not use this "dirty trick".

And I still not understood CryoKeen tip with CLIP texture. Like this?

CLIP just block players movements, not all physics (grenades, etc.). SKY still like water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Безымянный.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	16567  
    Last edited by Phantomas; 15-12-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
    CLIP just block players movements, not all physics (grenades, etc.). SKY still like water.
    Turn brush into any "func_" entity, and texture it with "NULL" texture- it should block everything. I would try to do place (thin!) "func_" brushes inside the world (I see you've placed them both inside and outside the sky, only one side of sky brushes would be enought). Not sure if there are some lightning issues with this method, but I would give it a try anyway.

Tester

Quote Originally Posted by banan2288 View Post
    Turn brush into any "func_" entity, and texture it with "NULL" texture- it should block everything. I would try to do place (thin!) "func_" brushes inside the world (I see you've placed them both inside and outside the sky, only one side of sky brushes would be enough). Not sure if there are some lightning issues with this method, but I would give it a try anyway.
    Yes did not think of that, a thin brush (4 units) func_wall, textured to "Null" and placed inside map, maybe 1 unit away from SKY brush (So as not to interfere/mess up Lighting). (Also try the same with a "World brush" it may work, not sure.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Tester

FYI - Just tried the "Thin Brush" with "Null Texture", here is what I found:
    func_wall and/or "world brush" both appear to work.

Null Textured func_wall generates "player clip nodes" (ok to do, unless you are near the "max_clipnode limit" for your map).

"Null Textured World brush" does Not generate "player clip nodes" (not sure what sort "clip nodes" it makes or hull it changes.)
    NB: If a Null Textured "World Brush" is touched by player, "Mirror Effect" in player Field Of View starts to occur.
    EDIT: this may only be true if player is touching brush and also looking at a sky brush.

Otherwise lights etc. all seem to work

Attached: Example bsp and rmf
    (Null Brushes are "World", to test alternative, change to func_wall.)

Please report any new info. or errors etc, so that other people will know.
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 15-12-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammer
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Okay, thanks, I got it now.
    So, no any errors, especially when NULL brushes in func_wall (not cast shadows).