Thread: FastDL vs. File Names with Space

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: FastDL vs. File Names with Space

hmmmm i tried it with your version. But i have the same problem tried it in 32/64 bit version.

The Disklogo is standard blue but this file i gray in notepad++.
    I have tried a other programm (brackets). here can i edit but on save tells me i have no acces to edit this file.

omg now in this mom i found the problem.
    see http://cosmoline.at/reco.png
    first time that i see that work.
    now i can edit the files.

Edit: now load the zombie attack file but now this.
    http://cosmoline.at/reco2.png

Edit: ok now i have all //delete in the res file. now loading but not with fast DL server.
    Last edited by Enrory; 13-09-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Tester

Humm, I suggest you go to the Discord channels (find the button at Very top of Page this page)
    Sven Co-op Discord Channel
    Click here to join!
    Then speak with other Linux Server Ops (I am not a Linux Server Operator myself) Hopefully they can "walk" you through the process of setting a Linux Server correctly (recommended paths, directories permissions etc, to use and setting up Fast DL) and then move to solving the RECO map bug.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Case insensitive file names. That's something Microsoft got very right in their operating systems. (As much as I like Linux... for servers.)

I'd agree for best compatibility that your map resources should ideally be all lower case, and either use hyphens or underscores in place of spaces. Also best to stick with ASCII characters. (No UTF-8.)
    Case sensitivity is a file system setting, not a Linux enforcement.

There are several methods of making a case insensitive file system under Linux, the easiest being to make a vfat, ZFS or JFS partition with the latter two using the "casesensitivity=insensitive" option when the partition is created. vfat is case insensitive by default to maintain compatibility with Windows.

Done.

Finish all files wrote new.
    Work now with fast dl.

Reco map
    http://cosmoline.at/downloads/reco.rar

Thanks for help.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

This is still a problem.

Wrapping the file in quotes doesn't work. Replacing spaces with %20 will let the file download, but the file name will also have %20 in it, so players still won't hear the sound.

This is what my fastdl server sees for a file named "Resident Evil Main Theme.wav":
    Code:
    "GET /sc/sound/ambience/Resident Evil" 400 0 "-" "-"
    It looks like this was partially fixed by handling a single space, but some paths have multiple spaces.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

Argh - Hate these sort of problems.
    Easy enough to fix but I still say that it should fall under "naming convention errors".

In my option, Path and File names should be in lowercase, and should avoid non-standard characters.

Where is it going to end, I know people are working towards "Bots", "Metamod" etc. What happens when people decide to "except spaces and non-standard characters" as a general principle.

Hey the map initialization, AS, fast DL, etc parser(s) work But failed when I did console command :
    create monster bespoke alien
    I tried
    create "monster bespoke alien"
    and
    create "monster bespoke alien.mdl"
    Please Fix.
    I would much rather see the Devs concentrating on "tangible improvements" (such as the new GL render) than trying to centralize and pass all text input via a parser. (consider the coding effort to centralize and the extra check cpu cycles.)

PS: NOT trying to dis, troll or otherwise, the community and/or MOD or Map converters here. I think they have done GREAT work, I would just rather see "naming and path issues" fixed at source (in .bsp) and not lead to extra Dev. work/code bloat.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

I agree the map authors shouldn't have used spaces or special characters in file names, but this will keep happening, and authors will continue to disappear without fixing these issues.

Anyway, according to this the fix involves URL-encoding the GET request:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/2056
    Love,
    w00tguy

Tester

Point taken that in this case URL-encoding would presumably fix it. But still don't like the idea that once non-standard characters get successfully ULR-transmitted, that authors (knowing no better and expecting similar results) are going to follow the same "naming conventions" elsewhere.

PS: Kudos for the AS CTF-plug, didn't know you made one and say hello to the GET reporter (He deleted me in Steam friends or changed his nick or something.) and don't "disappear" neither of you!
    It is always good to have a few thorns in our sides in case we go to sleep or need some extra prodding/guidance.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

I recall fixing this issue for RECO way back. Is this still an issue with the latest pack from SCMapDB?

RECO looks fine - there's one file with a space in it but that's handled by the game. The problem is with paths that have 2 or more spaces. The only map I know is affected by this is protozoaire.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12