Thread: Request - Gender/Species/Race System

Request - Gender/Species/Race System

In old time , I saw many maps' setting.
    It changes the zombie's blood,gibs, even the sounds. Also it can be 2 or more zombies using 2 different setting (a zombie have yellow blood, another using human blood).
    Although player can changes something by map's setting ,ex: changed Medic! sound, but it affect all of them, it can't separate to use personal setting.

Imagination:
    I am using "Kate" (a female human) , and my teammate-A using "Aswat" (a robot), teammate-B using "zombie" (an alien parasitism).

I yell female Medic/Takecover/Barnacle-struggle , I bleed red blood , I gibbed to human gibs by enemy grenade explosion. Others can saw/heard my setting.
    Teammate-A yell vox Medic/Takecover/Barnacle-struggle , he bleed black blood , he gibbed to computer pieces by enemy grenade explosion. Others can saw/heard his setting.
    Teammate-B yell alien Medic/Takecover/Barnacle-struggle , he bleed yellow blood , he gibbed to alien gibs by enemy grenade explosion. Others can saw/heard his setting.

Truth:
    All of them using Male Medic/Takecover/Barnacle-struggle sound,bleeding red blood, gibbed to human gibs.

I wish someone can make an server-side angelscript (not map-side) that change their Gender/Species/Race setting depending on what player model they are using.

I have some concepts:

1. Server angelscript get the setting from server-side Cfg:

Pros:
    Less files requires.
    Much regular.

Cons:
    Adding player model setting required server host adds it.
    Heavy server load.
    Can't change by client.

2. Server angelscript make client download single Cfg for each "player model", setting loaded by client's player-model Cfg.
    Also client's custom cfg can loaded too (But other player can't have the same setting if they are using different setting).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	16934

Pros:
    Doesn't need host to add it. (But if you want others can saw your setting , you still need to contact server host)
    Less server load.
    Client can customize it.

Cons:
    A lot of files produced (too many cfg files)

Hope someone can make it for us and misfire's server.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	16933  

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Re: Request - Gender/Species/Race System

I would definitely go with option #1.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is easily done in AS yet. These are some potential problems:

1) Replacing player gibs means swapping the human gibs model with null.mdl (if that's even possible) and then spawning custom ones on each death of a monster or player. That also means each map needs a model replacement file since AS can't do model replacement (or can it?).

2) Replacing player alerts means swapping the defaults with null.wav and then playing custom sounds instead (like with voice commands). Again, each map needs a custom sound replacement file.

3) There isn't a good way to detect a player using the "Take cover!" or "Medic" commands as far as I know. Checking for a sprite above the player head is the only way I can think of.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think this is easily done in AS yet. These are some potential problems:

1) Replacing player gibs means swapping the human gibs model with null.mdl (if that's even possible) and then spawning custom ones on each death of a monster or player. That also means each map needs a model replacement file since AS can't do model replacement (or can it?).

2) Replacing player alerts means swapping the defaults with null.wav and then playing custom sounds instead (like with voice commands). Again, each map needs a custom sound replacement file.

3) There isn't a good way to detect a player using the "Take cover!" or "Medic" commands as far as I know. Checking for a sprite above the player head is the only way I can think of.
    1) I remember when using Angelscript's ent manager (Zode's ent manager) , I can create any monster which map isn't use and env_funnel with sprite not used in server , it also include the gibs after I spawned shocktrooper, pitdrone, zombie.

Seems like AngelScript can precache official models & sprites safely (using AMXX's entmoving , it crashed when create monster not existed in map) , but maybe custom model precached isn't safety.

2) As AMXX SankSounds and EasySpeech, custom sounds will be downloaded when player is joining , and these sounds are playable through all the maps , if client has these WAVs.

3) No idea.....

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

The problem with 1) and 2) is not that custom gibs/sound would be hard to get working, but rather that every map .cfg would need to be updated to use custom model and sound replacement files in order to override default gib models and alert sounds.
    Love,
    w00tguy