Thread: Sven Co-op Update Released [Build 986278]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Explosive Crate Re: Sven Co-op Update Released [Build 986278]

I just found out that sven was released on steam and is getting some updates. had to dust off my account and say i'm so happy and amazed.

Manager

Re: Sven Co-op Update Released [Build 986278]

How big is the rock you live under? hur hur
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

that big old rock called life is too big at times.

with the job/time i have unless something made its way onto one of the subreddits i subscribe to i tend to miss out on the news.

Manager

Haha I concur, I miss out on stuff going on internally sometimes.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by Solokiller View Post
    DirectX support was removed by Valve. We're not adding it back. Our focus will be on OpenGL.
    OpenGL support would die if DX returned.
    Jouni "Rautamiekka" Järvinen
    - ClanLeader of PlusLINE ServerClan
    - Main Admin of ZoltanSoftware

There is no DX code to work with. It would take longer to make a DX implementation than it would to make an OpenGL retained mode one. And it wouldn't work on other platforms. I can see why you'd consider DX better, but that's because OpenGL immediate mode isn't supported very well. Personally, i'd make OpenGL upgrades a priority. I made my case, but it was considered unimportant. I can't do anything about that.

There is no DX code to work with. It would take longer to make a DX implementation than it would to make an OpenGL retained mode one. And it wouldn't work on other platforms. I can see why you'd consider DX better, but that's because OpenGL immediate mode isn't supported very well. Personally, i'd make OpenGL upgrades a priority. I made my case, but it was considered unimportant. I can't do anything about that.
    The only thing making DX better is the fact GPU makers make it work unlike OpenGL, whereas OpenGL actually is better. Now, however, it seems GPU makers found ways to make both work at full speed as possible.

Always embrace OpenGL, it's just best that way. It may be harder to work with for scarce documentation.

I fell that focusing on fixing the Sound System should be a priority right now, because a dirty freeze of 5-10-20 secs could make you not spawn on a survival mode map.

And it's annoying. Even on my old PC here, I have little performance issues except crashes and huge maps(AKA bm_sts/fortified1)

1.Sound System
    2.OpenGL
    3.Something else you want? o.o

My PC SPECS:
    Intel Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    Intel Media Accelerator xInsertnumberhere
    502 MB RAM
    Last edited by AYY LMAO; 28-03-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: PC SPECS CAUSE YES

Quote Originally Posted by AYY LMAO View Post
    I fell that focusing on fixing the Sound System should be a priority right now, because a dirty freeze of 5-10-20 secs could make you not spawn on a survival mode map.
    What's wrong with OpenGL at the moment anyway ? I've played Sven Co-op and HL1 for years under OpenGL and never had problems I'd pin on it.
    Last edited by rautamiekka; 28-03-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Specifying I mean no problems with OGL

Some video card drivers have very poor implementations for immediate mode. Think of it like this:

You want to draw a circle on a blackboard. You ask the person in charge of the blackboard to draw it. That person goes to the blackboard and draws it.

Some drivers could implement it like this:
    When asked to draw something, hire a person to do it. Train them to draw a circle with a specific size. Tell them to draw it at a certain location. Then fire them.

This happens every frame for every object being drawn. The driver might be able to keep people around to draw the same object again if it can detect that it is the same exact object. Otherwise, it will spend a lot of effort preparing to draw that object.

This is because some drivers implement immediate mode by using retained mode. Every glBegin and glEnd pair could result in a Vertex Buffer Object being created, and passes it into a generic shader used to draw it. That's even more expensive than pure immediate mode because in addition to sending mesh data every time, it also needs to create the VBO and set up the shader. If the driver doesn't perform any caching for shaders, VBOs and other OpenGL structures, performance will suffer. And that's assuming the driver is using OpenGL to implement it.
    It could be using DirectX to implement it, requiring even more work to translate from OpenGL to DirectX code.

Simply using retained mode, with basic optimizations such as creating VBOs for models only once can boost performance dramatically for users with such drivers. Optimizing the render loop for retained mode isn't absolutely necessary as a first step.

Some people claim it could take 3 years. It could, if they refuse to help. In any case, we're never going to get it done if we don't try.

Banned

Some people claim it could take 3 years. It could, if they refuse to help. In any case, we're never going to get it done if we don't try.
    I think it's difficult times like these that we all remember Arnold Schwarzenegger's 6 Rules to Success.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123