Thread: Sven Co-op Update in Release Candidate [Build 997953]

Manager

Sven Co-op Update in Release Candidate [Build 997953]

Hello everyone,

Apologies to all our players on Windows XP and 2003 that have been unable to play Sven Co-op or run their SvenDS since Sunday. We have been working hard throughout the week to find the exact cause of this (which is more complicated than just blaming Visual Studio 2015), but have come up with a temporary solution.

In order to let those of you that want to test this update over the weekend, you can switch your game to a branch called "release_candidate_public". Steam will then download this update for you. You will not be able to play on any public servers while on this branch unless they have also opted in to this branch.

The update primarily consists of:

• Unable to start client or server on Windows XP and 2003
    • Crash with CreateNamedEntity (maps using custom entity names)
    • Crash with materials handling under certain conditions
    • Unable to move allied scientists with +use

If this update is successful we'll migrate it to the public branch with a full change log.

Updating your game

Follow these steps to switch your Sven Co-op or Sven Co-op dedicated server installation in Steam to the public release candidate:

1. Right click Sven Co-op or Sven Co-op Dedicated Server in your game/tools library.
    2. Select Properties then select the branch called release_candidate_public in the drop-down list.
    3. You should then see a notice that you've now switched branch, so you can click Close.
    4. Next time you launch your game (or soon enough automatically) Steam will download the update for you.

To switch back to the public branch follow the same steps, but choose NONE from the drop-down list instead.

Updating your server

If you wish to put your server onto the release candidate you need to add this to your SteamCmd statement:

Replace: +"app_update 276060 validate" for +"app_update 276060 validate -beta release_candidate_public".

Simply remove the beta instruction if you wish to revert your server back to the public branch.

Remember: You can receive email notifications about upcoming updates with some timely warning to prepare by subscribing to our server announcements mailing list.

Version details

Steam build ID numbers: Game 997953, dedicated server tool 997955, SDK tool 997957.

Statement about Windows XP/2003 support

Windows XP and 2003 no longer working was entirely a mistake. Unfortunately only 1 person on our team still uses Windows XP, which is why we didn't notice the issue until it slipped into the public.

However the fact is we're going to have to stop supporting Windows XP and 2003 indefinitely at some point. We've already dropped support for Windows 2000. While we recognise that not everyone has a computer capable of running Windows Vista or later (or you just don't want to), we cannot delay progression forever because of this. We are very lucky that the issue this time could be worked around, but this won't always be the case.

You should also know that it is not our choice to discontinue Windows XP/2003 support and that may ultimately rule, because other libraries from upon parties that we depend upon (and have no control over) may move to no longer offer this support. This could simply be in the form of using a feature from the Windows kernel only present from Windows Vista or later.

Windows XP and 2003 have been dropped from official support for 2 years now, and other big names are starting to stop supporting it (and Windows Vista) too. The specific reason for the crash is that the Windows XP/2003 kernel does not support initialising thread-local static variables. This is a huge problem for a multi-threaded application, of which there weren't many in the XP days to notice it. The only work-around is to disable thread safety in the game libraries, which is also a huge trade-off.

An official statement from Microsoft states that while they recognise this as a bug and provided an unsafe workaround, they simply won't degrade the performance of their current products in order to keep unsupported products working with modern applications.

So long story short, you're going to have to update at some point if you wish to continue to play Sven Co-op indefinitely.

Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Re: Sven Co-op Update in Release Candidate [Build 997953]

I saw servers running 5.03, does it mean that they are running this update?

Yes.

RCbot Waypointer

I just wanted to say thank-you to the dev team for your hard work, and for continuing to support WinXP, for as long as you can... THANK-YOU...

Badassery and shit mapping Deathparade's Avatar

Please don't tell me people legit use WinXP here.
    There is a reason MS dropped support for it.
    No.

Manager

According to the most recent Steam hardware/software survey (January 2016) 2.31% of subscribers still use Windows XP 32-bit ranking it the 5th most popular OS.

I agree that people should entirely discontinue use of Windows XP at home but some people can't or just won't.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by Deathparade View Post
    Please don't tell me people legit use WinXP here.
    There is a reason MS dropped support for it.
    I remembered it was said somewhere that "China and Russia made up most users who still use Windows XP", where statistically 10% of Russia and 24% of China currently use it.

Also: considering Russian and Chinese as the second and third most used language on Steam, taking up nearly a total of 15% Sven Co-op owners, literally a LOT of players are expected sticking to Windows-That's-Very-Troublesome-of-You-XP.

Manager

Just wondering have many of you tried this update yet? There are a handful of servers running this update (3 of which are mine) but they appear to have been empty most of the weekend. We'd appreciate some opinions on the update before we make it mainstream.

If nobody tests it we will reject comments about the update not being tested, as you've all been given a fair chance to do so.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Seems to work fine for me in windows xp.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Just wondering have many of you tried this update yet? There are a handful of servers running this update (3 of which are mine) but they appear to have been empty most of the weekend. We'd appreciate some opinions on the update before we make it mainstream.

If nobody tests it we will reject comments about the update not being tested, as you've all been given a fair chance to do so.
    I only got the chance to test it by myself - scientist problem solved.
    Nobody seem to join the 5.03 server in my vicinity.
    Still getting "FATAL ERROR (shutting down): ED_LoadFromFile: found ?when expecting {" on hostage and crisis2, but I was told that was a map-related issue which can be solved via bspedit rather than the engine's.

Quote Originally Posted by tenyuhuang View Post
    but I was told that was a map-related issue which can be solved via bspedit rather than the engine's.
    Yep, those maps will be fixed in the updated map packs which hopefully are released together with the next update

Yes not many servers are running the 0.3 update from what I can see! I counted about 8, I think it's time to just push the update it's difficult getting everyone to jump on board and "try" the release candidate. From what I tested with all the HLSP fixes I'm extremely pleased