Thread: Mechanic Maps 1 & 2

Mechanic Maps 1 & 2

CURRENT REVISION 3

ALL 3 MAPS!

MAP 3 is currently being worked on.

You are a Mechanic working at Black Mesa when the Experiment goes wrong.
    You will need to find your way out.

First level, you will need to find some weapons, they are located in the Generator Room. To access it, go up the drainage pipe, into the building via the VENT and push the emergency override.
    Go back down the pipe, into the generator room, collect your weapons including the RPG. Use the RPG to take our the Sentry Turrets to gain access to those areas.

Second Level, Make you way to the Coolant Silos to open to Access Doors. If you get lost, Go back to the start where Gman is.

Not sure how many levels this campaign will have yet...

I hope you like it.

Any tips, suggestions would be greatful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechanic01-2016-03-05-0001.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	17063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechanic01-2016-03-05-0003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	17064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechanic01-2016-03-05-0004.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	364.4 KB 
ID:	17065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mechanic01-2016-03-05-0005.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	17066  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by djjackal; 09-03-2016 at 10:17 AM.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Re: Mechanic Maps 1 & 2

Not bad. I liked that I got an opportunity to use the throw-crowbar attack (headcrabs + explosives).

There were a few places where the wpoly got above 2200, I would try to lower that to about 1200, which shouldn't be too hard because I saw some mapping errors where brushes were overlapping and empty cavities were rendered.

Overall the maps could use some more polishing and interesting events, imo.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer

SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    Not bad
    No, the map is still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    There were a few places where the wpoly got above 2200, I would try to lower that to about 1200, which shouldn't be too hard because I saw some mapping errors where brushes were overlapping and empty cavities were rendered.
    The reason the map has 2000 w_poly is because he still hasn't run VIS on the map, even though I've pointed it out multiple times.

I also pointed out numerous other problems with his maps in his previous thread, but he had those deleted.

His maps are bad and he isn't doing anything to fix the problems, just stacking more crap on crap. Here are pictures from a week ago on his previous release.

(using the original modified Quake compile tools)

(Tons of void space behind stuff for no reason)

(Face errors due to not having func_detailed lights cutting into the wall.)

(Here's has last revision from about a week ago, also didn't have VIS run on it due to leaks.)

(func_walls not having hidden faces NULL textured, further increasing w_poly.

thats funny, I have made some changes, you've just uploaded the same pictures as before without even looking at the newer revision,

Also the second map I have been NULL ing walls that you cant see, and it had no effect in increasing fps....

What I dont understand is, have you seen how Valve made their maps? Their is crap all over the place and yet still steady FPS, so im not sure what is going on, and if you could explain why would be good.

ok, after going through my valve hammer setting, i noticed it wasnt using the correct VIS program to compile. Now it seems to run at a steady 60fps!

Quote Originally Posted by djjackal View Post
    thats funny, I have made some changes, you've just uploaded the same pictures as before without even looking at the newer revision,
    The first screenshot IS your newer map, the old ones are reposted to show how little progress was made.

Also the second map I have been NULL ing walls that you cant see, and it had no effect in increasing fps....
    When you get to making complex areas, every last little bit of hidden surface removal helps. Even in corridors where the w_poly isn't high, it will still slightly increase the frame rate. It also reduces the total compiler resources your map uses, namely lightmap data and makes compiles take less time.

What I dont understand is, have you seen how Valve made their maps? Their is crap all over the place and yet still steady FPS, so im not sure what is going on, and if you could explain why would be good.
    It's easy to explain why terrible Valve maps run good, because you're not running on a PC from the same time period Half-Life was released. The original 1998 release required at minimum a Pentium MMX 233 or AMD K6 equivalent. Most home PCs at that time were still late 486s or early Pentiums at 133 MHz or less.

Even with the bare minimum spec'd computer, the game was painfully slow, especially in large open areas like parts of the intro train sequence and surface tension. But to even get your hands on such a computer would have been extremely expensive. A Pentium MMX 233 when released was $594, or $875 in today's dollars. You could easily drop 5 grand back then (7300+ today) on a gaming rig to run the game at that time.