Thread: Quake for Sven Co-op

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Quake for Sven Co-op

It's a leftover from an older version of the map. The model is now called "w_keyrune_silver.mdl".
    It still works fine, though, because item_inventory seems to precache its model by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fgsfds View Post
    - lighting is not true to the original on most maps;
    I'm not sure how much you looked into getting light to look correct, but it's possible by disabling radiosity bouncing, only using direct lighting and only using pure white lights.

Radiosity in the Quake engine was monochromatic and couldn't bounce to make ambient light, everything was directly lit. This is why there were lots of very dark/black areas in corridors.

I know that and I have tried multiple RAD configurations, including disabled bounces, but the main reason the lighting is so shit is because I lost the original Quake light intensities while converting the maps and then was too lazy to go back and adjust every light source. Lighting will probably be fixed in the next version, if I ever release it.

- Xash 3D Quake Remake Team (?): Quake models in GoldSrc format, monster AI;
    quake_remake_final.exe Quake\ID1\pak0.pak\credits.txt

the Quake Remake team

^3Lead Programmer
    Unkle Mike

^3Menu Artist
    The FiEctro

^3Modeller
    XaeroX
    Dr. Tressi

^3Animator
    XaeroX

^3Author of "Q1 MDL Decompiler"
    Crazy Russian

^3Beta Testing
    Qwertyus

I'm on moddb
    I'm on gamebanana
    I'm on youtube

Updated the scripts to work with 5.11 API. Hopefully everything works.

Giegue

I've been trying to find amidst the weapon's code and I still have no fucking clue on how you made the trail effects on the grenade and rocket launcher.

I cannot find any NetworkMessage nor any other wacky hacks to answer me the question, q1_TE_ effects are unused on the weapons, yet in-game they miraculously work like if you were playing actual Quake 1.

I dare say in caps: THE FUCK.

How did you... get it working?
    What's a signature?

begadang jangan begadang =_= anggara_nothing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julcoool View Post
    I've been trying to find amidst the weapon's code and I still have no fucking clue on how you made the trail effects on the grenade and rocket launcher.

I cannot find any NetworkMessage nor any other wacky hacks to answer me the question, q1_TE_ effects are unused on the weapons, yet in-game they miraculously work like if you were playing actual Quake 1.

I dare say in caps: THE FUCK.

How did you... get it working?
    It is handled by model file ( .mdl )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	134 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	17670

Giegue

Quote Originally Posted by anggara_nothing View Post
    It is handled by model file ( .mdl )
    Mind = Blown.

I can't believe the magic was involved in the mdl file itself. So many time wasted haha.

You saved me from a lot of headaches, many, many thanks!
    What's a signature?

Japanese Wannabe NYO~~~! ゞ(´゜ω゜)つ~☆ Nero's Avatar

$flags 1 in the .qc to add the rocket-trail (smoke and fire)
    $flags 2 for the grenade one (just smoke) :3
    Nero of TSP and Wotnet
    Ingame names: Nero, Horny-Girl-13
    IRC nick: Nero (probably)

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

does that flag work for half life models as well? meaning vanilla sven coop

Quote Originally Posted by GarompaEstomper View Post
    does that flag work for half life models as well? meaning vanilla sven coop
    Good explaination (+ flags list):
    Quote Originally Posted by http://twhl.info/forums.php?thread=18788
    Did a quick Google and got: "This is undocumented Half-Life magic."

The actual flags information is hidden in the GS engine, and there doesn't appear to be any documentation in the SDK or game code.

This is the best information I found, it's from the Xash3D project, so I'm not sure how many are supported in vanilla GS:

#define STUDIO_ROCKET 1 // leave a trail
    #define STUDIO_GRENADE 2 // leave a trail
    #define STUDIO_GIB 4 // leave a trail
    #define STUDIO_ROTATE 8 // rotate (bonus items)
    #define STUDIO_TRACER 16 // green split trail
    #define STUDIO_ZOMGIB 32 // small blood trail
    #define STUDIO_TRACER2 64 // orange split trail + rotate
    #define STUDIO_TRACER3 128 // purple trail
    #define STUDIO_DYNAMIC_LIGHT 256 // dynamically get lighting from floor or ceil (flying monsters)
    #define STUDIO_TRACE_HITBOX 512 // always use hitbox trace instead of bbox

So, I would guess $flags 256 tells the engine to use the "STUDIO_DYNAMIC_LIGHT" behaviour of getting lighting from the ceiling (maybe because regular models use the closest surface, which might not be good for flying monsters?)

I've seen references to the 512 flag in HL models. It seems that you should use this flag for large monsters, such as the tentacle.

Contributor

So this REAAAALLY has my interest and ive been doing some tests. I honestly thought just like Julcoool these effects were just limited to game specific code/Deathmatch Classic/Angelscript, boy was I surprised. Especially since pretty much everything works in vanilla.

Been playing around with the stuff P2MV has on its flags settings and I have put together a little handy guide that has stuff missing from that thing posted earlier like the mention of the Dlight:

Model QC flags list:
    $flags
    1 = Rocket trail + Dynamic Light
    2 = Grenade smoke
    4 = Gib blood
    8 = Model rotate (Model spins automatically; does not seem to work in vanilla)
    16 = Green spit trail (Quake Skrag spit)
    32 = Zombie blood (like gib blood but less)
    64 = orange + red (Quake Death Knight slash effect)
    128 = Single burning smoke trail
    256 = No shadelight
    512 = Complex colision (Uses hitboxes for colision)
    1024 = Force skylight (Model will always be lit from ENV_LIGHT no matter the location)

These are the QC flag numbers but you can set them on already compiled models with P2MV
    http://gamebanana.com/tools/6112

As for "No Shadelight" it seems to make the shading on a model more uniform and almost flatshading but not quite, and has less harsh transitions (model on the left has it, model on the right does not). 1024 which is take direct lighting from ENV_LIGHT at all times is very interesting

Ill have to do more tests on shadelight for a better example.

Now the fun tests; trying the stuff out an my personal favorite was putting flag 4 on Hgibs, like holy hell this is so fucking cool in vanilla and so easy; just a QC command no extra coding required:

holy crap (can I say that here?)...this is a whole new level of detail, why the hell did half life not ship with this, WHY THE HELL DOESNT SVEN COOP?

Its time for us to put the trails back where they belong.

Gibs, rockets and ar grenades should have a trail. I dont think snarks and normal grenades should though. Have you tested alien gibs with the green spit trail?

what else can have a trail? any more ideas?

Contributor

holy crap (can I say that here?)...this is a whole new level of detail, why the hell did half life not ship with this, WHY THE HELL DOESNT SVEN COOP?

Its time for us to put the trails back where they belong.

Gibs, rockets and ar grenades should have a trail. I dont think snarks and normal grenades should though. Have you tested alien gibs with the green spit trail?

what else can have a trail? any more ideas?
    The green trail actually is not really that great, its side to side outwards like the deathknight effect so only really useful for some projectiles. Another thing is we should be careful with rocket trails effect due to extra D-lights that may cause performance issues.

Also, I just put the P2MV link post above if anyone doesnt have it; also it has Color remap sliders for remap texture preview, wow. gotta get some sleep but this is so cool.

Because it is undocumented. That's why.

This is STUDIO_TRACE_HITBOX demonstration

Quote Originally Posted by https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2485265#post2485265
    Last edited by anggara_nothing; 28-04-2017 at 02:49 AM. Reason: derp

Contributor

If anyone is interested I took the 3 sprites from QUAKE and converted them to Hl format:
    http://the303.org/stuff/quakesprite.rar

S_EXPLOD.spr seems to work pretty well for a zerogxplode.spr replacement. I guess all there needs is the spreading outwards particles effect.

I also noticed that even though there is a "gibs.mdl" included in the quake1 model folder there seems to be no global model replacement reference to make it work. Also using P2MV to enable gib blood ($flags 4) on that model would make it complete.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. gibs.mdl is probably used in E1M7 for the victory gib explosions, but I might've just left it there for future versions.

I feel in the obligation to mention this map is no longer playable monsters and weapons don't appear anymore. Well it is playable but you'll be running with a medkit on empty hallways.

Could you confirm that you were using the updated v0.11 version that was uploaded? I just played through this on my 5.11 server and it worked just fine.

Already replied on the scmapdb, looks like it was a problem with me, latest version works fine!

There have been reports of some things breaking in 5.12, like keys and some powerups, however it should still run fine. Can anyone confirm this?

I made it to E1M4 last night without any major issues. The only bug I encountered was one of the strangest I've ever seen. On E1M1 the grunt in that hallway outside the quad power secret exit partially phased out of reality. He had not collision with my weapon or player, but he could still shoot me. You could walk right through him as if he were a ghost. I guess his collision box got deleted? He couldn't clip through the level though... Anyway, sorta weird.

That has happened to me several times during testing a long-ass time ago. I couldn't reproduce it though. Might have something to do with the AI changes I made in the latest version.

200 MB Angelscript log file KernCore's Avatar  
    Artist

Quote Originally Posted by fgsfds View Post
    There have been reports of some things breaking in 5.12, like keys and some powerups, however it should still run fine. Can anyone confirm this?
    I noticed Quad Damage got broken because I still had it during level changes. Nothing in the logs that I can provide.

That used to happen in the old versions as well. Quad is implemented as an inventory item, so it carries over just like the rest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast