Thread: Quake for Sven Co-op

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quake for Sven Co-op

QUAKE FOR SVEN CO-OP
    last update: 15 Apr 2017 - v0.11

A port of Quake's maps, weapons, monsters and other entities to Sven Co-op 5.0+.

Features:
    - singleplayer maps: Introduction and the whole first (shareware) episode;
    - deathmatch maps: DM2, DM4 and DM6 with REAL PVP ACTION;
    - all weapons, items and powerups;
    - all monsters present in Episode 1;
    - music (optional).

Changelog:
    31 Aug 2016: version 0.10:
    - first public release.
    15 Apr 2017: version 0.11:
    - this is a script-only update - clients don't need to download it;
    - updated scripts because of the 5.11 API change;
    - decreased armor values to 25/50/100 because SC armor is too strong for 50/100/200;
    - (hopefully) made monster AI more similar to Quake by porting over movement code from Xash Quake;
    - fixed a couple bugs with player sounds and other things.

Known issues:
    - .res files might be too long for some servers: if your server crashes when you switch to a Quake map, you'll have to delete them.
    - some of the monster models are screwed up a bit;
    - lighting is not true to the original on most maps;
    - monsters are even more stupid than in Quake;
    - buttons on E1M7 (boss) can get screwed up sometimes, just press them again if they don't work;
    - Deathmatch maps only support up to 13 players;
    - Biosuit doesn't actually do anything, HEV chargers are instead included in places where you're supposed to use it to swim through acid/lava;
    - other minor inconsistencies and bugs that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Credits:
    - id Software: the game itself, map sources;
    - Xash 3D Quake Remake Team (?): Quake models in GoldSrc format, monster AI;
    - Norman Roger: fixing the Quake Remake models, player medkit model.
    Quake Remake was made by:
    - Unkle Mike - Converted maps from Quake to GoldSrc;
    - XaeroX, Dr. Tressi - Modeller;
    - XaeroX - Animator;
    - Crazy Russian - Q1 MDL Decompiler.

Screenshots/Videos:

Downloads:
    v0.11 (15 Apr 2017):
    main pack (SCMapDB)
    music (SCMapDB) (optional)
    SCMapDB page

If you're going to add this to your server's mapcycle, only add q1_start and (optionally) the Deathmatch maps (q1_dm2, q1_dm4, q1_dm6 in the latest version).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020160831174146_1.jpg 
Views:	2141 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	17429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160831173917_1.jpg 
Views:	2094 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	17430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160831173836_1.jpg 
Views:	2131 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	17431  
    Last edited by fgsfds; 30-01-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Contributor

Re: Quake for Sven Co-op

Remembering the Past
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

200 MB Angelscript log file KernCore's Avatar  
    Artist

The nostalgia maaaaaan.

I give 10/10

Manager

Wow, this is really amazing I've played Quake 1 tons of times (especially in co-op!) and this really feels like the old days. You've really put some work into this!

Some things I've noticed:
    - Buttons should be triggered by touch (like in Q1)
    - As you said: lighting could use some work. Try compiling the maps with -maxlight or -gamma (more info here). This is an easy way to make the entire map a bit darker.
    - Monsters are a bit dumb, but mostly they are slow. Speeding up their animations would fix a lot. Especially Fiends should be jumping and charging at you, now they kind of limp around.
    - Coming across the hev-charger was kind of strange. Maybe an item_battery which has the hazmat suit as a model replacement might be better? Maybe you can even cook up something with angelscript to actually let players swim through acid for a time.
    - Axe has crowbar hud icon.
    - Monsters don't deal a lot of damage. Could use a SKL file to make it more challenging.
    - Many double doors don't open simultaneously.
    - Panel to the Shaftgun didn't open on DM6.
    - Needs Quake player model!
    Last edited by Hezus; 31-08-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm going to try to add some skl_ cvars to scale monster damage and animation speed. As for the Fiends, they seem to be jumping fine on my side, maybe even too often. Though their jump loses horizontal velocity if they do it near a stair step, for example, which I will look into.
    As for the lighting, I've tried compiling most maps with multiple -maxlight and -gamma values back when I was porting them, but couldn't decide which was better, so I just left them in this state. I'll probably just remake the lighting from scratch in a later version.
    The panel on DM6 opens by using it. I'll change this when I get to fixing all the buttons.
    As for the Biosuit, I've tried to make it work via scripts, but it doesn't seem possible unless I replace all slime and lava by trigger_hurt and set them to only hurt players when they don't have the item. I'll try doing that at least on E1M1.

Manager

What a very splendid piece of work. This is why we try to make Sven Co-op as customisable as we can for you mappers.

I too noticed a few things (won't repeat what Hezus said) but they are rather minor. (All based on the E1M1 video.)

• The video was recorded with a very wide FOV. It should have probably been recorded at the standard FOV. (70) This is why the bottom of the weapon model becomes transparent in your view.
    • Finding a secret should play the Quake secret sound.
    • The glow colour for the quad damaged seemed a bit off. (Might just be the CRTs we had back then but I'm sure it was a paler shade of blue-purple-ish.)
    • The buttons on the downward ramps near the end of M1 are supposed to say "Two more to go...", "One more to go...", "Sequence complete" or whatever the text was.
    • You spelt "Sven Co-op" incorrectly in your video title.

I'm just nitpicking now so I'll stop. Riveting job sir.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Axe has crowbar hud icon.
    I may make new hud icons in the future, they are just a pain in the ass to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Needs Quake player model!
    I gave fgsfds permission to include my Ranger model, It even has team colors!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    The video was recorded with a very wide FOV. It should have probably been recorded at the standard FOV. (70) This is why the bottom of the weapon model becomes transparent in your view.
    The weapon models were made with a high FOV in mind (90 - 110) I just forgot to up the scale to fix the camera clipping, my bad.
    Also it's Quake, playing it at anything under 90 should be a crime against video games.

EDIT: Attached my Ranger player model.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Norman Roger; 31-08-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Misfire's Sven Co-op server needs this

Have a little bug, when you use "reviveme" with "sv_cheats 2" under the lava, the game crash...

I wasn't even aware that cheat existed. When it crashes, does it produce any error messages?

Quote Originally Posted by fgsfds View Post
    I wasn't even aware that cheat existed. When it crashes, does it produce any error messages?
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:08:33: Cheat command from STEAM_ID_LAN (Tonblader) blocked: Give
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:08:33: Cheat command from STEAM_ID_LAN (Tonblader) blocked: Impulse 101
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:08:36: Server cvar "sv_cheats" = "2"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:08:52: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="0.00" deaths="0" health="100"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:09:22: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="1.00" deaths="0" health="91"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:09:48: "Tonblader<1>" killed "Tonblader<1>" with "projectile_qrocket"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:09:52: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="1.00" deaths="1" health="0"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:10:24: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="3.00" deaths="1" health="99"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:10:54: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="3.00" deaths="1" health="99"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:11:24: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="4.00" deaths="1" health="97"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:11:54: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="7.00" deaths="1" health="100"
    L 31/08/2016 - 17:12:24: "Tonblader<1>" stats: frags="7.00" deaths="1" health="98"

No show more in the log file.
    Only disconnect me, the svencoop launcher It stopped working.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Roger View Post
    The weapon models were made with a high FOV in mind (90 - 110) I just forgot to up the scale to fix the camera clipping, my bad.
    Also it's Quake, playing it at anything under 90 should be a crime against video games.
    I mentioned it because since we did an aspect ratio fix 70 is the standard now. If you play with anything much over 90 you're going to get a much stranger angle than the same setting in actual Quake (or Half-Life), with weapon view models disappearing at the bottom. I do get your reason though.

There might be some we forgot to document, but a list of cheat commands for administrators / map developers can be found here: http://www.svencoop.com/manual/serve...ed.html#cheats
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Tester

Well that came out of nowhere, Good Job

The maps are nicely done, while playing it you almost forget that it's actually Svencoop and not Quake so nice work there. Only thing that was annyoing sometimes are those elevators that start moving when you are not even on them, I had to jump to use them so a delay of one second or something would be nice.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Thanks. I know about the elevators. Does func_plat support delays or do I have to do it manually using triggers?

Manager

Thanks. I know about the elevators. Does func_plat support delays or do I have to do it manually using triggers?
    They don't so you'd end up using triggers.

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

That was wonderful to see, good job.

Here we go again

Great work! i hope someday the other episodes are converted as well. It will be very fun to fight the spawns/tarbabys in coop mode =)

also i found a bug, i will try to explain:

on q1_e1m3 near the ending of the map there is a corridor that leads to a elevator that can be used only once. It is triggered by a button on the inside that also closes the doors of the elevator and open a wall in the corridor showing a teleport that leads the the upper area. This "moving wall" (func_door attached to model *49) once triggered should keep itself open but the button also activates a "trigger_once" to activate the button again with delay= 10.5 . so some time after the button is triggered the elevator doors are opened and the "moving wall" get triggered again, so it get closed and if players get defeated by enemies in the upper area or they fall accidentaly to the bottom area they will get stuck in the map (they cant use the elevator again and cant use the teleport either).

I thought I removed that trigger. Noted.

I liked very much. When there are other episodes?

Best game in best game ^^

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBlack View Post
    I liked very much. When there are other episodes?
    Might be the sort of thing that requires permission, what with episodes 2, 3, 4, and the final boss being of a commercial product.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

That is the reason why I've only released the shareware episode.

Manager

This may be the sort of thing you could get permission for if you asked? I know Quake 1 is still a commercial product, even sold for cash on Steam, but I don't see you releasing remakes of those episodes a commercial dent to ID software considering it's a 20 year old product. (I wouldn't have thought Quake 1 is making many sales these days.) After all we got permission to use and remake HL1's commercial content with an ask, and that's still being sold.

Splendid luck to you if you are seeking such permission. Be sure to include a link to your work so you can show how serious your work is.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

id would've allowed it for sure, but now with the rights technically belonging to Bethesda/ZeniMax it's probably going to be much trickier.

Contributor

Hello,

Because one or more required files were not found in your installation,
    the following map(s) might be missing resources:
    q1_e1m4.bsp
    Code:
    {
    "origin" "945 462 876"
    "sound_4" "quake1/mkey.wav"
    "sound_3" "quake1/ambience/swamp2.wav"
    "sound_2" "quake1/ambience/swamp1.wav"
    "sound_1" "quake1/ambience/drip1.wav"
    "model_1" "models/quake1/m_s_key.mdl"
    "triggerstate" "0"
    "style" "0"
    "spawnflags" "0"
    "angles" "90 0 0"
    "_fade" "1.0"
    "_falloff" "0"
    "_light" "255 255 255 200"
    "classname" "light_environment"
    }
    Resource file not found: models/quake1/m_s_key.mdl
    Idea for change name model: m_s_key.mdl

Thanks
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast