Thread: Quake for Sven Co-op

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Quake for Sven Co-op

Are you still working on this? I'd love to convert the rest of the episodes, however I'm not sure how you went about doing it. I have some free time, I'd like to take this on as a fun project for me to do if you dont mind.

I'm not currently working on this. I wanted to convert the rest some time in the future, but I kind of lost interest and/or motivation. You're free to do it if you want to.
    I just took the Quake map sources (they're all over the internet, they were officially released in 2006 or so) and imported them using JACK and fixed the geometry and logic in them (most Quake triggers and funcs work differently from HL ones and some aren't in HL, like func_door_secret). At some point I also wrote a simple script that replaced all 8-bit light values in the Quake map sources with equivalent HL _light values, which I would run before importing the map, but I can't find it right now. I found a Quake texture WAD for HL somewhere and used that for the textures, but it's missing a lot of Episode 2+ stuff.
    I wrote custom AngelScript entities for all Quake monsters, items, guns and some triggers that were in Episode 1 and the DM maps, using code and models from Xash Quake.
    Their models are also smaller in scale (compared to HL models) and some of the animations are a bit screwed up, so you'll have to fix them, which Norman did for all the models included in the pack.

Q: Did you convert quake maps?
    My most familiar programming is C++, PHP, Lua, JavaScript.
    Learning programming Angelscript.

Drinking coffee right now

Tester

From Post #52 :
    "I just took the Quake map sources (they're all over the internet, they were officially released in 2006 or so) and imported them ..."
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

2fgsfds
    1. I'm 100% sure that you took the compiled maps from Quake Remake.
    2. You took the models: weapons, nps, etc. from the Quake Remake.
    3. You did not specify the people who did this work, it's not cool.
    4. But you can still fix it.
    Unkle Mike - Convert maps from Quake to GoldSrc.
    XaeroX, Dr. Tressi - Modeller
    XaeroX - Animator
    Crazy Russian - Q1 MDL Decompiler
    I'm on moddb
    I'm on gamebanana
    I'm on youtube

I didn't take the compiled maps from Quake Remake. I took the map sources from here and imported them into JACK, fixing entities and such. If I had taken the compiled maps from Xash Quake, the lighting would've been much better and closer to the original. Also I don't think they would even load in Sven properly. I did use the models and code from it though, which is mentioned in both the OP and the readme.
    Thanks for the names though, I will add them to the OP and to SCMapDB. Not sure if it's a good idea to reupload the whole package for a readme change.

Would it be possible to have the shalrath and death knight added? I wanted to port over some Quake maps, but not having those monsters makes it unworkable since they're important for the maps.

It certainly is possible. You would need to upscale their Quake Remake models a bit and port the AI code to AngelScript. I'm thinking of coming back to this and porting the rest of the episodes, so I might do it myself at some point.

If you make it a priority, I'll offer my mapping services for the rest of the Quake episodes.

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

plz, both of you

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

I think fgsfds should just port the rest of the npcs, and GiGaBiTe the maps and everything else. Much less work for both of you, and you know, when people have a large task to do they tend to drop it. The only way around it (and the frustration it gives you to look at a project that will never be completed) is to make little tasks, and stop there, then rest.

Creator of trainracingv2, sorry no autographs! Soctom's Avatar  
    Artist

A lawsuit waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Soctom View Post
    A lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Pot calling the kettle black.

Still waiting for that lawsuit against SC developers for using copyrighted assets in official maps since forever, Mommamesa being one from SC 4.8 using Descent 3 tracks. I think there may still be some copyrighted assets in some official SC5 maps.

If going by history is any prediction, it will never happen. Mappers have been cross porting copyrighted assets between games for decades, and the only time it has become an issue is when IP is used without permission to make a full semi-official sounding game. Bid for Power, Duke it out in Quake and the Stargate mods are examples, but they were hit for IP use and not copyrighted content. Garry's Mod has copyrighted content from pretty much every 3D game ever created and the only legal trouble Garry got in for it was to notify players that the IP owners don't allow them using the assets for commercial projects.

Quake is a different story, Half-Life is a direct descendant of Quake and even used Quake assets for the DMC mod, with more Quake content being ported by the community. If Id hasn't cared for 22 years, they're not likely going to suddenly change their minds.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Mommamesa being one from SC 4.8 using Descent 3 tracks.
    I removed those before we released on Steam in 2016. Every track in that map is in the public domain.

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

If you people are scared I get it, being an official steam game now. But just like garrys mod, Everything else is made by the community so theres no control or lawsuit coming against that. As long as its not shipped with an official update, anything should be 100% safe, so go nuts with all that custom content!

In fact, I gave up Doom Remake because of copyright. I had maps of all the episodes of the Doom 1. And I'm not going to share this with the community.
    At least, until I am convinced that because of this there will be no problems with the law.
    I'm on moddb
    I'm on gamebanana
    I'm on youtube

If you're that terrified of copyright on an ancient game, just use freedoom assets:

https://freedoom.github.io/about.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123