Thread: Judgement version 0.1

Manager

Post Judgement version 0.1

Download: http://nullspace.dk/files/judgement02.zip

Judgement
    By Nih

The disturbing and despicable behavior of the citizens of this once glorious city has angered Jahm, the almighty God of the material and the immaterial world.
    He has sent his angels to right the wrongs committed here and he will soon rain fire upon this rotten city, destroying all.
    In the face of this inevitable destruction, a few foolhardy individuals have elected to take up arms against Jahm and his angels.

If, by some divine stroke of luck, you manage to defeat the archangels of Jahm, the city of Boddom will live on forever.

- Archangels and angels will arrive in three waves. Kill the archangels to succeed.
    - You have 10 minutes to defeat each wave, before Jahm can turn the city into a burning pile of rubble.
    - If you die you will become a spectator.
    - All spectators are revived when a wave is defeated.
    - You can sacrifice the Rat of Returning at the altar to revive a single player.
    This is a sideproject that I have been working for... quite a while. It's not quite done yet, hence version 0.1. However, the gameplay is there. I'm releasing it here now so I can finally get some feedback instead of working in a bubble. It hasn't been thoroughly tested with multiple players yet, so expect bugs (report them please).

What's missing:
    - Short cutscenes for the intro, outro, and inter-wave time periods.
    - Polishing

Okay, it's pretty close to being done. Give it a try! And please tell me what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judgementb1-2016-09-10-0003.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	17453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judgementb1-2016-09-10-0006.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	17454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	judgementb1-2016-09-10-0007.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	17455  
    Last edited by Nih; 09-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Manager

Re: Judgement version 0.1

Known bug: Sacrificing the rat doesn't work. I'll try to release a fix as soon as possible.

Edit:

Small hotfix released and added to first post: Download: http://nullspace.dk/files/judgement02.zip

A player now respawns when the rat is sacrificed, although he doesn't spawn the right place... Seems he is spawning at a nearby spawn point which is actually deactivated. But this is a good enough temporary fix.
    Last edited by Nih; 09-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Manager

Any chance someone could put this on their server so I could join and hopefully play it with other people?

Well I put it on my server: tzh.tymoon.eu:27015.

I didn't try it since horde maps aren't my thing.

Contributor

add map judgementb2 in server [FR] Sven Co-op 5.0 Win, Best Custom Maps
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks

Manager

Thanks for putting it on your servers. I wouldn't call it a horde map, since horde to me suggests a map with no way of losing and/or no clear objective besides killing swarms of enemies. Arena map would be more fitting, although this arena takes up the entire hl1 grid. But one can argue about these definitions forever, so no matter. I think you should give it a try Streamfox, as I don't recall any other map attempting this kind of gameplay. Gonome hunter mode in deadsimpleneo2 would be the closest perhaps.

Oh yea, I've played this. It's hard but cool. Give it a try, people.

Manager

I just played it on my own and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I like how this map is really big and could hold a load of players. It feels a bit like a deathmatch map (running around, gathering weapons) but with monsters. Fun for Run 'n Gun for sure.

Now here's where it could use some improvement imho:

Gameplay:
    - The city is layered, which is pretty interesting but the design doesn't unlock it's full potentional. All combat still happens on a horizontal plane. I was catapulted onto a roof by Tor and was able to jump from roof to roof, attacking the monsters from above. This made everything way more interesting. If you could incorparate that into this map that would make it a lot better.
    - The city layout is alright, but you might want to steer away from mirroring everything. There should be different ways to reach higher or lower levels (like in Sandstone).
    - Just 3 waves of increasingly harder monsters is the least you could expect from this map. I guess there is way more potentional here, like: side quests (kill a certain monster before the timer runs out and unlock nice stuff), gathering items (find all 4 components of a weapon/item and assemble it at the spawn), rescue an NPC, etc.

Visuals:
    - The yellow/black theme you went for doesn't quite work for me. It makes the map way too dark at some points and also quite dull. More light and colours would really improve this.
    - Create some variations of that brick texture (some with woodwork or windows/doors in it). That wouldn't increase r_speeds much and look so much better. Also, roof textures!

Overall:
    - Background story sounds ok, but doesn't really work well with all that HL-themed content. Archangel Garg? Hmm...
    - Also; what's up with the giant houndeyes?

Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write such extensive feedback Hezus. To answer your points:

- I agree that a city design that made more use of three dimensions would look more interesting and provide for more fun gameplay. I would have loved to design a city like that, however, my concerns for r_speeds means it's not possible. The wpoly is high enough as it is. The fighting on the roof as you experienced is definitely intended to be a part of the map. You can use the displacers teleport function to reach the near-top and jump around, you can use the gauss gun to jump around from roof to roof, and everyone has a grapple gun to latch on to other players. I could add ladders and stuff, but that would mean players would be too easily sheltered from melee enemies imo.
    - The city design is not very mirrored in my opinion. Sure, there is some mirroring of large scale elements going in the corners of the map, but the areas can be clearly distinguished from each other.
    - I want to stay away from making a map that takes too long, so there won't be any more waves. I could add more complexity to the gameplay as you suggest, but that risks confusing players more and I really just wanted to focus on a simple concept.

- I expect that some people may not like the lighting scheme I used for this map... Nevertheless, experimentation with lighting to create sharp contrast with shadows was the main reason I began to work on this map, so I don't expect to change that. I could make the darker areas lighter if enough people complain.
    - More varied textures would be nice, but a bit too much work for a small sideproject. If someone else could make them, sure.

- Regarding angels: The angels of the bible are actually quite unusual and different from the way they are pictured in culture (link). Nevertheless, this isn't even a christian god. Sure, it's not immersive to fight aliens from half-life that are then presented as angels, but I think it's passable.
    - Giant houndeyes: Why not?

In the end, this is just a side project for me, so I'm not willing to go full total conversion on it. Nevertheless, I am still open to improvements as long as they don't require completely reworking the map.

Manager

Did anyone ever play this map?

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    Did anyone ever play this map?
    Yes.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon9999 View Post
    Yes.
    What did you think of it?

Most player miss the rat. There could be some arrow pointing at it and after pickup the altar. Or maybe some sprite flying from the altar to the rat constantly and backwards after picking it up.