Thread: [Tutorial] Using prop models in SC

[Tutorial] Using prop models in SC

In some cases it's better to use a model than creating one using world brushes. For instance, if that object is pretty complex, if you plan to use that object many times or if you are already high on wpoly but still have plenty of room on the epoly.

If you're planning on using models, here's what to consider:
    More modern engines rely heavily on prop models but not SvenCo-op, which still uses the core Goldsource engine from 1998. Therefore it lacks certain features. Models will not have a collision model (and thus are not solid) and lighting is the same across the entire model. You won't see gradient shadows or colour changes as you can expect from regular world geomerty. Goldsource grabs the light information from the origin of the model (mostly directly below it).

The lighting issue will be less of a problem in well-lit areas without many sharp shadows/colour contrasts. Also, using smaller objects as models will also not look strange, since shadows would be less noticable on them anyway. The lack of collision model can be solved with the following trick:

1. Use an item_generic. Load up the model and set 'Gravity Setting' to 'hover in the air'.
    2. Create a box around the item_generic roughly in the shape of the model. Apply NULL texture to all sides. Set the material type to what the model is made of (e.g Metal). Tag the flag 'Only Trigger'. If your editor supports FX rendering in the 3D view, you can set Render Mode to 'Solid' and FX Amount to '0'. This way it'll be transparant and easy to recognise as a prop.
    3. For easy use, group the item_generic and func_breakable together.
    4. You can topple over objects by using the Pitch Yaw Roll values (90 270 0). Make sure to rotate the func_breakable as well.
    5. The func_breakable has a bonus feature. If you remove the 'Only Trigger' flag, you can set a damage amount and target a scripted_sequence. If your model has animations (like explode/destroyed) you can trigger that animation upon breaking.

Using this trick the model will now appear to be solid, plus show decals and play the right sounds when fired upon.

If you take the limitations into consideration you can use models pretty effectivly in SC. As you can see from the image below, the models do not stand out too much from the rest of the scenery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161012220401_1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	17478
    Last edited by Hezus; 13-10-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Re: [Tutorial] Using prop models in SC

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Apply NULL texture to all sides. Set Render Mode to 'Solid' and FX Amount to '0'.
    Why do you even need to set render mode there? I mean the faces of that brush ent gonna be discarded anyway, since has null applied on each sides.
    So I don't get it.

Other than this, it's a good and simple tutorial to have some props which block the player, and emit some sound when stuffs hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Streamfox View Post
    Why do you even need to set render mode there? I mean the faces of that brush ent gonna be discarded anyway, since has null applied on each sides.
    So I don't get it.
    Forgot to explain that! The render mode is a thing that's useful for the editor. Jackhammer 's 3D view processes the FX setting, so the block around the entity is transparant. This way it's easier to recognise as a prop and doesn't block your view. But as you mentioned, there's no noticable effect in game.

I'll add this to the tutorial!

Oh right, never though bout it. I just use the no draw switch if I wanna see what's inside the brush. But yours is a more convenient way.

Contributor

Thanks for writing this, I was going to do something similar but have been too busy. Another thing is if you have it please check out Counterstrike Condition Zero Deleted scenes. It has some astounding examples of use of prop models in GoldSrc and physbaked animated ones.

Also, for those who forget: Remember some models have skins and bodygroups (verify in HLMV/Standalone). Change these by adding a skin keyvalue (default is 0; next skin is 1).

If you're really keen on making the prop look good, you could first finalize the area with the prop centerpiece and then manually draw the correct shadows onto the skin.

Also:
    I haven't tested this yet, but you could probably tie the item_generic and func_pushable together with the trigger_copyvalue. That way players could move the props around.
    Last edited by Hezus; 17-10-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Is it possible to play different animations on a prop model in SC similar to Source engine's dynamic prop?

For example a door with complex animations: When a player pushes a button, the door prop model would play an animation sequence: from "idle_closed" to "opening" and stay in "idle_open".

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pekhe View Post
    Is it possible to play different animations on a prop model in SC similar to Source engine's dynamic prop?

For example a door with complex animations: When a player pushes a button, the door prop model would play an animation sequence: from "idle_closed" to "opening" and stay in "idle_open".
    Yes, you need to use aiscripted_sequence entities to control the animations, and for prop I would suggest to use monster_generic (not sure if any other entities like item_generic is supported). In monster_generic you can disable AI so it won't act like a real monster. You might want to experiment with other flags and keys as well, but the most important are "custom model", "classification", "No Dyn collision".

thanks you for that tutorial
    Revistacresol.com - cheats for golf clash. Everybody can use our generator to generate unlimited amount of Gems and Coins.