Thread: Why do most monster stop advancing when attacking?

Why do most monster stop advancing when attacking?

Why do the majority of enemies stop dead in their tracks while attacking? Whether it be gun fire, melee or some kind of energy discharge, they almost all stop moving. In fact the only enemies that I can think of is obviously the head crab where it's only attack is a jumping lunge at the player and the gonome. All others though stop moving. I understand a lot of these monsters are massed high in numbers or have incredibly stupid high hit points or even with having to stop to attack the radious of their attacks are super powerful and or with an extended range like the gargantua.

But is it mostly a HL1 limitation or just the choice of the model makers or AI creators? Since the player is free to move while firing regardless of accuracy I would assume others would too.

Manager

Re: Why do most monster stop advancing when attacking?

Haha oh wow, what you've done there is gone against the grain. Sniper implemented "running and attacking" back in version 4.something, but now this has been toned down quite a lot as players found it "too hard" to deal with a Gonome running at their face ripping it apart.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Contributor

The human and alien grunts actually used to run and gun. It caused a lot of problems, so this change was reversed. R̶e̶a̶l̶i̶s̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶p̶l̶a̶y̶. Actually, what's realistic about running into enemy gunfire just to be a pest, anyway?

I am still finding gonome to be running and ripping my face off. On top of that no matter how low I get it's hit points, it feeds off me after death and goes back to full 700 hp and I have to attempt it again and again. (I am currently playing by my self.) Thankfully on infested2 there are elevators... *cough*

But I am not complaining because of it's ferocity, (Not that I am complaining to begin with, only inquiring on the "why".) but the lack of others. Like normal zombies I do not expect them to run full steam at you. But a whole group of them can be cut and stacked like cordwood simply by moving towards it/them and back peddling a foot then rushing forward while they are stuck in animation hell and get off two to four good hits of the crowbar then rinse and repeat. (Not to mention if friendly fire is on and they inadvertently kill swarms of each other with their clumsy, yet powerful claws.) I mean I know they are supposed to be mindless zombies and the player created a room full as a challange, but the implimentation of zombie movements is very limited. I would assume only the overhead double swipe would need to be a completely nonmovement attack.

And like I said most enemies are the same way, just those come to mind the clearest.

And why am I still encountering the gonome who likes to rip peoples faces off if it was toned down? Maybe he just likes mine. Haha! Can mappers choose not only the enemy npcs to place in the map, but also how it acts, as in different AI sets for attacks and movements?

Technically it is not realistic to "run" and gun anyway. The only exception I can even think of is if you are advancing on a position and do not have others who are giving you covering fire. Otherwise your bullets will most likely go every where but where you want them to, especially at medium to long ranges. And by the time you got where you are going you are going to have to reload anyway.

Then again trained military also fire while moving but that is usually in MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain... It goes by another name by now...) where stopping in a door way or in front of a window could be absolute murder. But you are usually firing no further than the distance from one side of a room to the other, maybe a long hallway. (Which I suppose the majority of HL1 and 7op maps take place, but then again the enemies do not follow that revelation either... And who knows... Maybe Vortigaunts have to be standing still to focus such energy, but you know what I mean.) But they are not running around frantically or bunny hopping either. And no, holding onto a knife or running along side a wall does not make you run any faster.

You need a stable firing position and one preferrably with good cover, but you take what you can get. Does running and jumping around make the accuracy any less effective in 7op?

I don't mean to necro but I've found the Gonome being able to attack while running to absolutely ruin Resident Evil map runs where dying to such a thing so easily can set you back an hour or so of progress. Is there a parameter that can be edited in the cfg or anything to disable this?

Thanks!

I mostly think not, (BTW, TAKE INTO NOTE THAT THIS IS MY OPIOION, I STILL DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CODE.)
    I don't mean to necro but I've found the Gonome being able to attack while running to absolutely ruin Resident Evil map runs where dying to such a thing so easily can set you back an hour or so of progress. Is there a parameter that can be edited in the cfg or anything to disable this?

Thanks!
    Why? well, if you can get your hands on a source code, or an angelscript mod, (pleaz, I dunno anything) you can modify him, or, if you can, you can change the navagation path.
    A meme, not a ded one...