Thread: Metroid, anyone?

Contributor

Metroid, anyone?

Here is a thread for one franchise that I still kinda care about. Nintendo just announced two new Metroid games. What do you think?

Hard to tell what we're gonna get here, but if it's anything like the first Prime game I might just get a Switch.

Kinda skeptical about stick aiming and what looks like quick time events and parry mechanics, but definitely interested to finally see a 2.5D Metroid, even if it's just for the 3DS.

Contributor

Re: Metroid, anyone?

Some more insight.

Tester

Pretty cool. Honestly didn't expect to see anymore cool games on the 3DS.

Contributor

Playing Metroid: Samus Returns right now; some ~50% through. It's definitely good. Amazingly, it's very hard to tell whether this is actually better than AM2R or not; heck, whether such one-dimensional comparison is even possible. It's quite something to realize a fan-made game holds up more than well with something from Nintendo itself. The two games are very similar, both staying very close to Metroid 2's original layout and lore. I feel like AM2R does a better job of delivering a dark, menacing atmosphere and tight controls, while M:SR is better at mixing things up by adding concepts so far only known from other franchises (most importantly parrying and a shared ability resource).

I think what this will boil down to is, that AM2R offers the more intense experience, while MS:R offers a more wholesome one. So, if you have been pondering which game you should play, the answer is "both".