Thread: Lags on map - hl_c03

Lags on map - hl_c03

Hello guys, please help me. I am installed metamod and amxmodx. When I run this map, I start to slow down the server wildly, ping is up to 300-1500 for all players. Without metamod, map works well

Manager

Re: Lags on map - hl_c03

Quote Originally Posted by join10 View Post
    Without metamod, map works well
    The issue is with an external plug-in then.

I'd disable each plug-in one by one until you find the one at fault. Once you do you'll know who to file an issue report with, assuming you want to run the culprit plug-in still.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

If I remember right about this issue, its Metamod-P that is the culprit. That map, hl_c04, and possibly others I haven't noted makes my MM-P server has a hard time keeping the ping low on players, with all the teleporting, entities being created and killed, etc.

I've weaned my server to the bear minimum with MM-P and AMXX (core and plugins) and the issue is still persistent. So there isn't much that can be done until a plugin you're using on AMXX is made using Angel Script.

I am delete all plugins, but problem is not solve

Manager

You said that without Metamod the map works well. That is your answer.

If there is an issue with Metamod you need to report it to them as that's not our product. Metamod will then need to resolve their problem internally or discuss it with us.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    The issue is with an external plug-in then.
    No, this is an engine bug.

The cause of the high CPU usage is because headcrabs and scientists are trying to use info_nodes to navigate to the player from all over the map. They're stuck in an AI loop that continually fails to get to the player because the navmesh doesn't have continuity throughout the entire map.

If you use entmod to kill all of the headcrab and scientist entities when you spawn in the map, the high CPU usage immediately subsides. But the problem will re-appear when alien slaves spawn and you leave the area because of the same issue.

This issue isn't limited to hl_c03, it's a problem on any map that has a complex navmesh (polar_rescue and it_has_leaks others.)

I suspect that Metamod-P can't handle the AI insanity calling hundreds/thousands of times a frame and starts the high CPU usage. But even without Metamod-P installed, the AI failure still causes excessive CPU usage.

Tester

While the info_nodes/navmesh could be a contributing factor, the info_nodes for hl_c04 look "worse" to me, is the CPU issue present on hl_c04 as well ? (The .nod is also larger but then larger does not always mean more complex).

I just did a quick SP run on our "vanilla Test Server" and "Listen Server" (SC 5.14) for hl_c03 and it didn't show any lag problems. (Bear in mind it was SP and I could not check the CPU usage/stats for the DS. Also, AFAIK, no one notice/reported any "lag problems" during our last test play [whenever the last one was].)

PS: Of course we do not test with "metamod".
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

The problem is how the AI handles the navmesh, not the navmesh itself.

The reason that hl_c04 doesn't have problems is because it has far fewer NPCs in the map at runtime, the majority are spawned in as the player progresses with monstermakers and squadmakers.

hl_c03 has lots of NPCs that are spawned at map runtime, hence the problem. If these were moved to be spawned in as needed, the map wouldn't cause such high CPU usage.

Upon further investigation, hl_c04 has high CPU usage as well during the osprey battle due to grunts being stuck outside the play area when deployed by the osprey. They can't find a path to the player, so they go into an AI insanity loop as well.

Tester

Out of interest, what is your CPU usage (with metamod) for the following maps:

hl_t00
    hl_c04
    hl_c16

PS: Especially at map load/in first few minutes.
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

hl_c04:

Until the grunts in the warehousing area, less than 25%

In the warehouse with the grunts, 30-45% unless you go to an area which they can't follow you, 60-70%

On the surface with the osprey and grunts, 90%+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXr0y0AKVpI

Notice that the client lag completely goes away when I remove the osprey and the grunts. With them present, I noted pings up to 444ms. Keep in mind this is a LAN server so my ping is normally 5-10ms.

hl_t00:

Throughout the map, 20-40% CPU usage.

If you look at the console with developer 2, there are tons of pathfinding errors:

FGetNodeRoute: No valid node near self!
    Script "" can't find "monster_barney"
    BuildNearestRoute() - monster_rat has no nearest node!
    GetPathToEnemy failed!!

hl_c16_a1-a4:

Under 20% cpu usage everywhere. There is a bug with two of the launchers on hl_c16_a1 where you can't enter them without being pushed out:

https://i.imgur.com/tNLO2aK.jpg