Thread: Dark Nebula

Post Dark Nebula

Hello everyone!
    I have worked so far in my first map called Dark Nebula since a year, I've tested it myself and with some friends the map a lot of times, optimizing some things here and there and detailing the areas a lot until getting the result that I just wanted. Really enjoyed making my first map for Sven co op and I hope that it isn't the last one!
    And of course, Any suggestions would be nice!

Features:
    ·Inspirated in classic Doom maps where you just want to run and shooting enemies in your way
    ·A secret room with a hidden switch to enable it
    ·Recommended to play it with 3-6 players, but you can finish it playing alone
    ·Two checkpoints
    ·A final battle with alien hordes and some bosses

Download:
    http://scmapdb.com/local--files/map:...DarkNebula.rar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006222537_1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	17844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006224330_1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	17845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171006213905_1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	370.3 KB 
ID:	17846

http://scmapdb.com/map:dark-nebula

What more can I say? I love detailing the areas as much as I can to get a good ambience and background sounds. Being my first map I'm very glad to finish it.
    I really hope that you enjoy my map, have fun!
    Last edited by Onox792; 09-11-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Re: Dark Nebula

Ill check this out today, it looks good
    Last edited by GarompaEstomper; 07-10-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Liked it! But I guess there is a problem with the last door to the large outdoor area, it closes after a while and players can't pass.

Quote Originally Posted by nico View Post
    Liked it! But I guess there is a problem with the last door to the large outdoor area, it closes after a while and players can't pass.
    Thanks! There is a checkpoint before the big open area at the end of the corridor, by pressing the button you get access a room with a teleport that sends you back to the big area again if you die.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171008002128_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	17850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171008002210_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	17851

The door closes when the first player comes near of the radio in the middle of the area, maybe some players didn't come at time when he was already in there and they found the door closed? Tell me if that was the case and I will try to fix that

PD: Updated it with V2, now you can go through a new room with a teleport if you come late and you find the door closed.
    Last edited by Onox792; 07-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

Cool stuff, will check with friends

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Been a while since I played a new SC map or let alone review one So here it goes!

First off: I had a fun time playing this. It had all the elements one could expect from a SC map. A Black Mesa setting, lots of enemies gradually becoming more dangerous. Inside areas, outside areas, pressing buttons, teleporter shortcuts, getting into a room through a ventilation shaft.. it's all there and it looks nice and plays well.

And with these points is also where my critique starts.. I've seen this all before. If someone had told me this map was from 2004, I would believe it. Nearly all the rooms are filled with the default HL prefabs from 1998 and most gameplay elements are copied straight from that same period. Heck, there was a headcrab in every single vent! When I read "Dark Nebula" I actually expected something new and mysterious, but it's another generic Black Mesa map. Don't get me wrong, the map is pretty well done, but it's more of the same people have been playing here for over 15 years. You clearly know how to make maps, so why not try to expand that horizon and try something completely different with the SC content?

I also found the map quite easy. On my own I did not die once until the very last battle. The amount of monsters is good but there is just too much health/hev and ammo around. Try cutting it down by 50%, so players need to be more careful. Less weapons and ammo make battles more challenging. In its current state I could always resort to the most powerful weapons for each battle and with full health and armour. Compared to that, the final battle was a bit of overkill. It's nice you have to defend that position but it would be better if monsters came in waves and appeared in exciting ways (Flying alien craft dropping monsters from up high, Garg bursting through the rocks, headcrabs coming out of the sand around you, etc).

As for some direct improvements:
    - There's some clipping in the black bar and the glass at the stairs.
    - Also some clipping in the door near the Kingpin.
    - In the first outside area, some of the monsters spawn out of thin air (missing spawn animations)
    - The teleporter shortcuts could use sounds!
    - Last outside area (final battle) could really use some better mountains around it!

All in all, it's a fun map to blaze through but it could use some improvements. And I would like to see something completely different from your hands!

Tester

Did a quick play through.

Overall impression very good, especially if you take into account your original design aim/Features:
    Features:
    ·Inspirated in classic Doom maps where you just want to run and shooting enemies in your way
    ·A secret room with a hidden switch to enable it
    ·Recommended to play it with 3-6 players, but you can finish it playing alone
    ·Two checkpoints
    ·A final battle with alien hordes and some bosses
    I would "tidy up" any small problems (as you already have with v2 and the "last door"), and then call it "a success".

For your next mapping adventure and given you seem to be able to map very well, something outside of the "classic Doom maps" style, would be nice to see.

If you do decide on something like that I would recommend again using a "Features List", sticking to it and having a realistic scope in terms of "map size" and new feature use. (New features tend to be refined/optimised with each "SC ver. release" and that does sometimes break maps.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Manager

Looks pretty cool Hope I'll come across this on a server one day.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    I released a new version with some changes like trigger_cameras after finding the checkpoints (I know that it can be a bit confused without knowing what changed in the map after pressing a random button), added some details in the sand terrain of the final arena and nerfed the final battle replacing some Alien Grunts by Houndeyes. Lot of them at same time can be a bit annoying even if there are +6 players.

I will update a fourth version fixing the clippings, missing portal animations and sounds in the next weeks

Manager

I've just played through this map now.

You've made good use of stock textures, done very well there. I particularly liked the detail you put into that tank when you first get outside, and the attention to detail throughout each room was very splendid indeed. -- Reminds me of YABMA or Secret City in terms of stock texture use. The camera scenes for opening shortcuts were also just the right amount of time, not a distraction.

I found the map to be very easy though. Might be my careful way of playing, but I was easily able to destroy waves of monsters and waddle back to a previous room for a resupply and heal/charge. Tor could also be killed with 1 banana bomb. I don't suspect many of our rush players will find it quite as easy, XP mod excluded, but I was able to complete the map on my own in about 20 minutes. I still bothered to finish it though, so I must have enjoyed it.

It's still a good quick blast walk-through map though. Looks like this might be your first map, in which case very good effort indeed. Definitely looking forward to your future creations. Be sure to claim your mapper page to list your maps when you get more out.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons