Thread: Help needed!

trigger_BlackShadow BlackShadowX's Avatar

Help needed!

Hello everyone, long time no see!

Hope everyone is doing great...

Let's skip the chit chat and pass to the main thing.

I have a project to convert Episode 1 of They Hunger to Source Engine, but i need map files... Is there anyone got Hammer files for Episode 1 (they1-15) only?

Or is there anyway to contact with Neil Manke to ask his permission for this? I couldn't find any contact information such as e-mail, etc... of him.

Re: Help needed!

Neil Manke hasn't been seen on the interwebs for a long time. From what I can dig up, the SC team has had the source RMF's since 2002/2003 so I doubt anyone had any recent contact with him here.

To do a Source conversion, you'll have to remake the entire map anyway so just use a map decompiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezus View Post
    Neil Manke hasn't been seen on the interwebs for a long time. From what I can dig up, the SC team has had the source RMF's since 2002/2003 so I doubt anyone had any recent contact with him here.

I see, it's impossible to contact with him then.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    To do a Source conversion, you'll have to remake the entire map anyway so just use a map decompiler.
    You don't need to re-make whole level, you can de-compile map and run it on Source. But you have to edit triggers and scripted sequences. And a few bugs too.

Here's a little video about my progress.

snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks snarks Green Astronauts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadowX View Post
    You don't need to re-make whole level, you can de-compile map and run it on Source. But you have to edit triggers and scripted sequences. And a few bugs too.
    There's no perfect Goldsource map decompiler. Hell, not even a semi-perfect one. No matter which one you use (debsp, Winbspc, BSPTwoMap, BSP Viewer's built-in .map exporter, ...), they all do a half-assed job at best. You'll end up with dozens or even hundreds of malformed solids (some so bad that they won't even load to begin with) and skewed/perpendicular textures. You'll really need to use whatever information you can get from a decompiled Goldsource map to rebuild the map brush by brush, as GiGaBiTe hinted at.

I checked your video and at around 00:10 you can see a very thin diagonal brush on the left-hand side of the tree. This is just one example of the many deformed brushes you've gotten by decompiling. Another example is that tree at 01:14. That's not how it's supposed to look.

Which decompiler did you use?
    Last edited by Green Astronauts; 21-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    In-game name:

Administrator at the ModRiotGaming servers

I know, since GoldSource doesn't save brush information, it's always pain in the ass de-compiling maps. I used Winbspc and BSP2Map. As you know both de-compilers performs different depending on map. I used Winbspc on that map cause BSP2MAP de-compiled horribly. And yes, i didn't fixed whole bugs in map. It was just for showoff.