Thread: Server on Windows 7

Server on Windows 7

Hello all,
    Very new here, I made this account after trying on my own 3 times to get a Sven COOP server up and running on Windows 7. I have followed the "Running a server" manual exactly, and made sure all of my ports were forwarded, but I nor any of my friends could connect to it. Any ideas as to what could be doing this? A few things I noticed: no configs can run, like banned users, language, even the server config. Also, when going into graphical mode, I can see that the server uses my local IP instead of the WAN IP like my TF2 Server does. While making the TF2 Server, I had to generate a code for the Steam Servers to add the server to the list of servers as well, but there is no mention of that on the manual. Thank you to all in advance that can help!

The manual I'm referring to: http://www.svencoop.com/manual/server-basic.html

Manager

Re: Server on Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Nodding View Post
    no configs can run, like banned users, language, even the server config.
    No configs will run unless a map is running. If you do not have `+map somemap` (usually `+map _server_start`) in your start up parameters then your server will do very little at all.

In the console try executing `exec server.cfg`, if that fails with an error about no map running, try executing `map osprey`.

Also, when going into graphical mode, I can see that the server uses my local IP instead of the WAN IP like my TF2 Server does.
    This is completely normal. Classic case of misunderstanding how P-NAT environments, like your home network, work. (This leads me to believe you may not have configured your router or firewall correctly.)

While making the TF2 Server, I had to generate a code for the Steam Servers to add the server to the list of servers as well, but there is no mention of that on the manual.
    You do not need to do this for Sven Co-op servers. There is no server key registration, though you may need to login with a Steam account if you update your server via SteamCmd.
    Last edited by AdamR; 16-02-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: ) -> (
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Hey, the map was the problem. I started it with -sp_campaign_portal instead of _server_startup. Thank you so much!
    Side note, where can I go to learn more about P-NAT?

Contributor

Many games require you to set up a port forward. We have guides for every game and every router to help save you time. Simply follow one of our guides below and you should have a port forwarded in no time.
    https://portforward.com/

Manager

-sp_campaign_portal instead of _server_startup.
    That itself is not a problem, but there will be an issue is if you use `+map -sp_campaign_portal` as the '-' at the start of the map name will be treated as a separate switch rather than a value for `+map` as you intended. (This is the behaviour of the command terminal, not something limited to SvenDS.) You can start on this map if you enclose the map name in double quotes, like `+map "-sp_campaign_portal"`.

Side note, where can I go to learn more about P-NAT?
    Good question.

If you don't know what NAT is at all or anything about how it works, this article looks quite detailed, and apparently Cisco helped write it. (It might waffle on a bit, 8 pages!) When you get to the second page with the types of NAT explained the majority of them (particularly at home) are the "Overloading" type, which is strictly port translation, instead of address translation.

I didn't bother reading on to page 8 but to answer your specific question about why SvenDS (and Source DS) does not show it's listening on your external IP address is because the application, and indeed your operating system, will usually have no knowledge that NAT is being used at all. That is fine, because it's not their job to. If they do know about it then that is a proprietary extension of the application/OS, usually for informative purposes, and is by no means a requirement of the underlying IP stack to know/adapt because of it. Remember that NAT itself breaks the standard rules of IP routing, and primarily became popular as a way of conserving the limited number of IP addresses in the public v4 space due to the rapid growth of the Internet 2 decades after IPv4 was conceived and used widely. (IPv6 typically has no NAT at all, even at home.)

Even if the application/OS does do NAT discovery it often can't re-configure the NAT to how they need it to, unless your router has UPnP available, or if the application uses a 3rd party NAT punch-through service. Afterall the NIC in the computer running the application has only got hold of an internal IP address, it doesn't have an external (public) IP address assigned to it directly. -- UPnP is generally regarded as a big security issue and should be kept off. While it can be useful for seamless server creation (such as a quick Sven Co-op game) without any manual configuration, it also allows applications within the internal network to open up security holes that NAT had transparently made impossible, including malicious ones. NAT punch-through isn't much better, but you're at least trusting the scope of it to a trusted 3rd party service. Just depends on how trustworthy and secure that service is, as a takeover in that could expose you equally as much as UPnP can.

It's entirely the job of the NAT software in your router to perform the translation between internal and external. When it hears incoming traffic on a particular port it replicates those packets to the internal IP address based on port forwarding rules whilst re-writing the IP headers with the internal IP address and port as destination, or simply drops those packets if it has no rule for that port. It's also the NAT software's job to translate the outgoing traffic from your internal IP address to the other side, in this case being the players on your server, but re-writing the IP headers with the external IP address and port as source. This all happens completely transparently, with your application/OS (usually) never knowing about it.
    Last edited by AdamR; 16-02-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons