Thread: The Mustard Factory

Manager

The Mustard Factory

This is a map I have been planning and working on since 2010. Here is a summarized map description in bullet points:

• Setting: Charle and the Chocolate Factory mixed with H.P. Lovecraft. In an alternate version of the 1920's, a Willy Wonka type person has hired the players to run his mustard factory.
    • The goal/winning condition of the map is to produce a set quantity of mustard barrels.
    • Players produce mustard by following a chain of production steps: 1. Grind the mustards. 2. Mix ingredients. 3. Pack the barrels.
    • Running each machine (6 grinders, 6 mixers, and 1 packing machine) is a simple two step process: Add an input then press a button. Each machine takes 3-5 minutes to finish, so they mostly run in the background.
    • There will be "Panic Events", where the factory is sabotaged, which the players must then repair. Enemies arrive in these events.
    • Rifts are opening between another world and ours, through which dangerous creatures are entering. This provides the lose condition: If the rifts becomes too many, the players lose. Players must close the rifts.
    • In short, players must juggle between three tasks: Running the factory, repairing the machines, and closing rifts.
    • The map is huge and completely non-linear. My main challenge will be to ensure players can navigate the map. Instructional signs, frequent direction-giving by the factory owner, and color-coded sectors will help.
    • The map will have secrets. Hopefully many, of varying hiddeness.

As you might see, the map takes some ideas from the original Turret Fortress, but my aim is to improve these. Players are given tasks that don't involve fighting, but unlike TF, these take a backseat to the actual combat. No one is assigned a boring static "job". Instead players go from room to room, clean out enemies, and do whatever task is available in the room. Team coordination makes everything easier, but is not required (depending on the difficulty chosen...).

More screenshots:

http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard1.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard2.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard3.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard4.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard6.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard7.png
    http://nullspace.dk/files/screenshot...m/mustard8.png

Re: The Mustard Factory

Very good, its losable!
    I hope you add difficulty choosing and make it extremly hard to beat!

In turretfortress you had some tactical decisions the players have to make, like what to spend the credits on or where to place the next turret.
    I dont see that in this map?

Manager

Yep, there's definitely going to be multiple difficulty settings. As for being "extremely hard to beat", that's going to depend on the difficulty setting chosen. I want the map to be beatable by less experienced players too. But I do like challenging players.

The map isn't going to have a formal "commander" role like turretfortress/fortified. The presence of "tactical decisions" is also not as clear... I would prefer not to add an additional layer of complexity to the map, as I think it is already going to be difficuly for most players to become acquainted with the map's gameplay mechanics. However, there are less obvious decisions that can/will be made by players and will affect their chances: Dividing how many and which players that should focus on different tasks, and deciding when to begin packing (Should we begin packing now that 3 mixers are ready, but 3 mixers are broken, or wait until all mixers are ready? It can be unclear which decision is the best for producing the largest amount of mustard and it requires players to accurately judge their situation).

Interesting. Any update about this?

Manager

You will have to be very, very patient My am is to release in autumn. The map is in a playable state but is still missing a lot of things. At the moment I am working on preparing a script for a voice actor who is going to play the factory owner. He is going to be instructing the players and occasionally go into bizarre rants. Should be fun to write.

trigger_delay & func_lazy TrEmPlEr's Avatar  
    Artist

Hope I will have the time to join the next playtest whenever that will be.
    Just send me a reminder @Nih

Really like the idea and it looks great

here
    Modstatus: Unknown

Manager

Still working on it. Great progress has been made. Only things that are missing is gameplay balancing, models, voice acting, sounds, and general polishing. I believe in a public (possibly beta) release within 6 months.

Here is the necessary HUD to keep players aware of the current status:

sign me up for the sweet and hot taste of your mustard.

Manager

Photos from todays playtest. Would anyone be willing to host a public server for playtests of the map?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	niuhmustard3.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	18329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nihmustard2.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	18331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mustard-2019-04-06-0007.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	18332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mustard-2019-04-06-0023.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	18333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mustard-2019-04-06-0033.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	18330

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nih View Post
    Would anyone be willing to host a public server for playtests of the map?
    Yes, I can.

I'm hosting any public servers ( server.svencoop.tv )

Or, I add a new port for playtests map ?
    Patience is a virtue greatly needed by those who attempt great things.
    La patience est une vertu fort nécessaire à ceux qui tentent de réaliser de grandes choses.

Server SvenCoop
    I love the mods svencoop
    World time zone & Look clocks