Thread: Ragemap2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ragemap2018

All I wanted to do was work on a map with other people. JPolito basically was very negative to me on Discord asking me why i was bothering to call it a ragemap, also saying that ragemap2016 was a disaster (me and many other people don't agree)

I can't take this stress of being in charge. I just wanted to contribute to a community map project like ragemap.

I tried very hard to be accommodating but I just get people disagreeing and telling me what to do or not do. I told JPolito that people lied about taking "1 hour" to complete their work in the ragemap, and JPolito said it didn't matter that they were lying. This strikes me as wrong and not right. Oh well. Doesn't matter anymore, I am not going to be leading this project since you all can't agree on what I should do.

I can't handle it. Someone else please take over.

Rules Pending
    ======================================
    I have resigned from this project as lead mapper/connecter. I'm happy to contribute to it as a mapper, but I cannot handle the stress of different people asking me different things. I wanted to accommodate ever-ones requests but apparently I always make someone upset. I can't handle the stress and someone else will hopefully take over the lead of this project. Thank You and I'm sorry.
    edit: This isn't JPolito's fault, his comments were simply the last straw, You guy's cant agree what you want or how much time, so you all can figure that out. Let me know when you all do or when someone takes charge. I am in a very emotionally fragile place right now and Can't deal with it. I Just wanted to map and have fun.
    Last edited by CryoKeen; 13-07-2018 at 08:10 PM.

No problem, Keen. I'll take over if you want.

So, all the nitpicking aside, the original concept of RageMap is to quickly put something together and pass it on to the next mapper so it's easy to make a large map without a very long developement cycle. The 1 hour limited worked quite well back then, since we had loads of mappers and people had more free time.

But now it's 2018: less people, even less free time. Many of us can't just pick up a project for a few hours in the middle of the week. We're going to have to accomendate that. Also, the overal standard of SC map quality has risen over the years, so people will probably not be happy handing in just a box with a Garg in it.

Therefore, granting people a bit more time seems fair. So here's my proposal:

- You've got 7 days from the moment the map file is passed on to you. You have to pass it on within those 7 days.
    - You can work on your part for approx. 24 hours. That's 3,5 hours a day. Quite a lot imho.
    - After everyone is done and the map has been tested, people can fix up their parts.

Nitpicking:
    - 24 hours approx. You don't have to stopwatch it, but don't go overboard with the time. The time limit is part of the fun, so don't see it as a restriction but as a challenge. This way we can keep the develpement cycle going. Distribute those 24 hours however you want.
    - If you really don't have any free time for a week on your turn, then let us know and we can move you down the list.
    - Make sure your targetnames/triggers have your own prefix, so we don't end up with problems (eg. hezus_door1).
    - Don't hog all the mapping resources.
    - Try to make something cool and fun to play, not just random bullcrap.
    - You upload the RMF to this thread, so people can see who has it and what progress has been made.
    - Custom content is ok, but keep the filesize low (only a few megs per person).
    - No offensive content.

I am okay with this. Was the pushable idea scrapped?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Contributor

@Hezus: Thanks for taking it on. I would like to make a T-section, i.e. there would be two ways that players can go in my section. Do you think you can make that work?

@aurora: I would like to keep the pushable in there. But I wanted to see if ppl could agree on my basic rule proposal.

I will test the pushable mechanic first so we know for sure that it will work. Players must be able to respawn it if it's lost or stuck. I'll make a little test map soon.

@ silencer: should be possible if you can arrange this with the mappers after you.

I could make an opposite T-section that fuses back to one path.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

Contributor

Hm if we go that way maybe we could make the whole map more explorative rather than walkthrough? Have some dead ends where you get required power ups to enter the final section or something, with the respawns staying mostly unchanging somewhere around the center of the map?

E.g. for final section you will need gauss cannon jump + mid air jumps (can be made with AngelScript very easily) + barnacle grapple. Such is of course up to @Hezus creative direction at this point. ragemetroidvania2018?

@everyone I do by the way offer to make any short music loops you might want to have. I am still a big noob at digital music production, but if it's a simple battle or ambient loop I can do that.

I agree with these rules.
    If the people here want a bigger/more polished/high quality communitymap, we could start another project with other rules after this here is done.

About explorative map layout,
    Should be easy to realize. Every section can be made to a dead end by the one who connects the maps. Or any section connection can easily be modified to be a T-section.

How to decide who is the next in line?

I will contribute, Thank You very much Hezus for taking over!

edit: Do people want me to make the spawn or does someone else want to?
    Last edited by CryoKeen; Yesterday at 12:53 AM.

I like the idea of making a non-linear map. I could start off the project with a common spawn room and people can connect to that in whatever way they like, put a door in a wall, put a vent somewhere, a hole in the ground, a rope from the ceiling, a sudden teleporter popping up, etc.

This way we wouldn't even need a list of mappers. Everyone could work on it simultaneously for a week, hand in your part and then I'll put them all together. You'd just have to end your part with a trigger, so I can open the next section from the spawn room. To prevent overlap issues, people need to start it with a hallway and some corners (also good for VIS) and your map should work when it's flipped or rotated. So I have the option of moving parts if necessary.

We could just pick a date to start then RAGE for a week and we'd have a map. How's that?

I agree and think that's fine. I suggest we keep the list as is, but bump Hezus to the top and I would have liked to go next but idk how that would work with Aurora wanting to do something and silencer and such. We'll figure it out.

As for start and top date, i think a weekend would be a good start and stop date, but it's already Sunday where I am. Doesn't matter actually, you should just START hezus after you get enough replys to satisfy :3

Contributor

We'll figure everything out in Discord. Hezus is in on it. https://discord.gg/bJFJQFa
    Last edited by Silencer; Yesterday at 07:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12