Thread: Getting other users to download custom content

Getting other users to download custom content

Heya, I followed some of the content distribution guides (for mappers) a while ago in an attempt to figure out how I could host a map, models, etc on my dedicated server and have people download them when they join, only to get confused and fail as the more involved server stuff isn't exactly my forte. The guide for https content on this same forum seems pretty antiquated, and I don't have a webserver to host on anyway. Really I'm just looking to make it so my friends can just hit connect and download the map and whatnot so that it's more streamlined, especially because some of the people I invite to play with me are... not so technically inclined, let's say. Those, and random people joining.

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing, but I greatly appreciate any help since my research in the past seems to result in unrelated or only semi-related results, potentially because my wording is wrong. Thanks

Contributor

Re: Getting other users to download custom content

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Neganeko View Post
    I don't have a webserver to host on anyway
    If you want to improve in game downloads you have to have a web server, as "sv_downloadurl" is HTTP based. If you are able to install Apache HTTPD on your dedicated server you could map it to your game server's content without the need for duplication, but that's quite an advanced topic if you've never done it before. The guidelines for this are also a little dated but as I still do this I could provide you with a more updated Apache Vhost configuration, if you want it.

Your only other option would be to use someone else's, or as a last resort increase "sv_maxrate" to 100000 so content without HTTP downloads at nearly 100 kbytes/second.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by spy-warrior View Post
    The expanded guide for this makes a little more sense to me than before, thanks. At least enough to get my foot in the door and have a specific problem for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Your only other option would be to use someone else's, or as a last resort increase "sv_maxrate" to 100000 so content without HTTP downloads at nearly 100 kbytes/second.
    If I fail at figuring out sv_downloadurl, I'll try out maxrate. I didn't realize it would automatically download things, as we've only been running stock maps so far and none of my friends who connected so far have downloaded the models automatically. Do I just install the models and maps into my svencoop folder within my server folder? That was the impression I got from one of the mapper content distribution guides but when I realized it was for map makers I decided not to proceed until I asked for clarification. I'll have to pass on Apache as a quick browse on the documentation has told me it's out of my league for now. Thanks though

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Neganeko View Post
    I didn't realize it would automatically download things
    Yep. The server builds a resource list that clients need. If the client doesn't have it, it asks the server for it. (This is governed by "sv_allowdownload", but is forced on anyway as it's needed for the sound list file.) You're just limited to 100 kbytes/second with this, so big maps will be a problem. (Linked to "sv_maxrate".)
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Yep. The server builds a resource list that clients need. If the client doesn't have it, it asks the server for it. (This is governed by "sv_allowdownload", but is forced on anyway as it's needed for the sound list file.) You're just limited to 100 kbytes/second with this, so big maps will be a problem. (Linked to "sv_maxrate".)
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Never been much of a host so figuring all this out is a little overwhelming.