Thread: Quick Halloween Map Collaboration

Manager

Explosive Crate Quick Halloween Map Collaboration

We were recently discussing creating a very quick Halloween community map on the Sven Co-op Discord server, and I think there's enough interest in the project that it might be worth doing this year.

The idea is to create "Walter's Mansion", a haunted mansion that our good scientist friend Walter has inherited. So far the idea is that players have to find and rescue Walter and his scientist buddies (the other three scientists, Einstein, Luther, and Slick) by taking several separate paths through the mansion and completing whatever tasks the mappers come up with. We could also add secret items like candy or bones or something, and show stats at the end of the map that tell players how many of the items they found.

The actual gameplay ideas are currently rough, and we should probably discuss it further on Discord, so I've created a special channel on the Sven Co-op Discord server called #halloween-map (<- click to join the channel).

We won't have any strict mapping time requirements for this project, but we will have deadlines for final submissions. If anything needs to be fixed, I can always copy in updated sections during the final testing phase.

There are six weeks before the weekend before Halloween, which is when I would like to release the map (ideally). I'm hoping to have a releasable final product by October 21-24. If everyone has their final sections submitted by October 12, that will give us ~4 weeks to work on our maps and ~2 weeks to test and polish everything.

The deadline to submit a completed map section to JPolito is October 12.

No one is expected to make an enormous section. Just put in as much free time as you'd like, build a part of the mansion, and we'll try to merge everything and turn it into a playable final product before Halloween.

Participants:

Anyone from the community, even people with minimal mapping skills, can sign up to create something for the map. It would also be great if people with modelling or scripting skills participate. Contact JPolito in this thread or on Discord if you would like to volunteer to participate.

Current Mappers:

- JPolito
    - Keen
    - Galathrax
    - Dynamite
    - Kirito
    - Aurora

Current Model Artists:

- Garompa
    - Rusty

Level Design:

The map will start with the front entrance / lobby of the mansion, which I volunteer to work on (and other people can as well, if they'd like). All of the other sections will branch off of this central hub.

On the map start, after players enter the mansion, Walter will tell the players that he and his friends are trapped in the mansion and you have to rescue them, and doors will open in the lobby to allow players to follow paths to their locations. The goal is for players to travel through the mansion and complete tasks (puzzles, kill stuff, find keys, whatever mappers want) to eventually reach the location of each of the scientists that will be rescued.

Seamless teleports between each scientist rescue path will ensure that no one's sections overlap (and they will only be used if absolutely necessary). Don't worry about making stuff that's too big, even if it's bigger than the mansion appears on the outside. I'll fit it in there somehow. Realism isn't important here.

Map Sections to be Created:

- Front Entrance / Lobby (JPolito)
    - Spoopy Bathroom (Kirito)
    - Another Spoopy Bathroom (Dynamite)
    - Kitchen/Dining Room (Galathrax)
    - Basement laboratory (Keen)

Ideas for other map sections: Basement, basement laboratory, attic, library, kitchen / dining hall, dungeon, crypt, tool shed, garden, tower, whatever else people think of...

Current Wadlist:

- spookymansion.wad (the custom conglomerate wad that I just made, DL here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbted4c6qt...-09-16.7z?dl=0 )
    - cf_mansion.wad ( http://scmapdb.com/wad:mansion )
    - cs_bdog.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm2.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm4.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm5.wad (They Hunger)
    - nw.wad (Nightwatch)
    - submerged.wad (Might be good for lab stuff)
    - submerged_addons.wad (Might be good for lab stuff)
    - decals.wad (default HL wad)
    - halflife.wad (default HL wad)
    - liquids.wad (default HL wad)
    - xeno.wad (default HL wad)
    - zhlt.wad (default HL wad)

Note: all wads without download URLs are included with Sven Co-op by default.

Feel free to use any other wads/textures/models/sounds/whatever that you'd like. We'll make sure everything is turned into an archive later.

This is a rough outline of what we are planning so far, and the project is evolving rapidly as we discuss it over Discord, so this information will probably change and become more detailed over time.

Please join the Discord channel here: https://discord.gg/H7AMZwY

Again, anyone of any skill level can participate, as long as their work is submitted by the deadline on October 12. You don't have to make anything too fancy or enormous. Small parts are welcome.

Please contact me here or on Discord if you would like to make something (anything).
    Last edited by JPolito; 17-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Re: Quick Halloween Map Collaboration

Sign me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroFish View Post
    Hey guys remember when maps/games were made because the creator wanted to make them, and not because of what people wanted to play?

That was great.

I do a bathroom

Registered User Encephalon Injury's Avatar

I'm up for doing the kitchen/dining room.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Encephalon Injury View Post
    I'm up for doing the kitchen/dining room.
    I think Galathrax was going to be working on that actually, although we could have like... A separate apartment for a butler or something.

Edit: oh, you are Galathrax
    Last edited by JPolito; 17-09-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Manager

Current Wadlist:
    - spookymansion.wad (the custom conglomerate wad that I just made, DL here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbted4c6qt...-09-16.7z?dl=0 )
    - cf_mansion.wad ( http://scmapdb.com/wad:mansion )
    - cs_bdog.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm2.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm4.wad (They Hunger)
    - neilm5.wad (They Hunger)
    - nw.wad (Nightwatch)
    - submerged.wad (Might be good for lab stuff)
    - submerged_addons.wad (Might be good for lab stuff)
    - decals.wad (default HL wad)
    - halflife.wad (default HL wad)
    - liquids.wad (default HL wad)
    - xeno.wad (default HL wad)
    - zhlt.wad (default HL wad)

Note: all wads without download URLs are included with Sven Co-op by default.

Feel free to use any other wads/textures/models/sounds/whatever that you'd like. We'll make sure everything is turned into an archive later.

I also started the lobby/entrance area. Obviously nowhere near done, but it shows some of the gloriously ugly textures.

Also, we were discussing the possibility of adding survival mode, and it might be a good idea, but only if everyone agrees on it. I know some people wanted to add traps, which would be annoying if we had survival mode.

Garompa made a scientist item_inventory pickup model (see above image). There will be 4 scientists that need to be rescued (picked up and brought back to the main lobby). There will be four separate paths to each scientist, each displaying a different part of the mansion. When one path is completed, the next path will open. It's the job of mappers to make tasks in their rooms that need to be completed to move onto the next room and eventually reach the scientist at the end of the path.

Mappers, you can start making stuff whenever. If you don't know what to work on yet, or don't have any ideas, contact me on Discord or ask questions in the Discord chat room.
    Last edited by JPolito; 17-09-2018 at 02:51 AM.

I'd be up for giving this a shot. Seems my other map ain't gonna make it. Feel free to hit me up in Discord.
    Oh noes!1!!

Manager

Since everyone seems to be short on time this month, the goal is to make a playable alpha by Halloween and release a more polished map later (Christmas at the latest).

I've added Soctom and The fox's parts to the map's central hub. Soctom will add gameplay to his section later, whereas The fox's section actually has some stuff going on in it. Galathrax and Kirito both told me that they'll be able to submit their parts later on. It would be great if we had more mappers interested, and maybe if we make the map look good enough by the end of the month we'll be able to attract more interest.

The current version of the map, which is obviously still very much a work-in-progress, can be downloaded Here.

A few quick screenshots:

There are also pumpkin coins and a suit of armor NPC model from DGF that will be implemented in the map later this month, but it's 2am and I don't have time to post screenshots of them right now.

We should also start discussing how the map will actually play, besides taking scientist items back to the lobby. Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything, or if you still want to join in and help with mapping or scripts.

I was doing a bathroom, but it is evolving more into a guest lavatory for banquets or some kind of bathroom for the employees with toilets, sinks and showers.
    It's quite big for a bathroom, but still quite small as a whole section. So I'm adding mirror and portal magic to make it bigger. But it won't need the actual mirror/portal tec.

The story I had in mind is that one scientist went to the toilet and never came back. So the players go and search for him. Simple.

Gameplay will be exploration and puzzles, as there is not much rooms for fights. Eventually a bossfight in the end. After that you find the scientist.
    I could also add coins to search for them, if that's needed.

I try to get it playable for the alpha. Still have to do lighting and visual details.
    It's a little sparse, wich seems to fit, but I want to add ornamental stuff.

Manager

I like it. Maybe I'll add a grand ballroom to attach it to if Galathrax doesn't already have something like that with his dining area.

Contributor

I see this is coming along nicely. I still have that spoopy castle map scrap thing I made years ago. Maybe you can use this?

Manager

Whoa. Yes. Definitely.

Very nice work I like it !