Thread: Infinite models sound loop on $sequence event 5004

Infinite models sound loop on $sequence event 5004

What causes the sound to loop endlessly?

Here is the sequence from the .qc file:
    Code:
    $sequence "die_backwards1" {
        "pyro_noxx_anims\die_backwards1"
        ACT_DIEBACKWARD 4
        { event 2001 13 }
        { event 5004 1 "player/playersounds/death3.wav" }
        fps 26
    }
    Is this a server side issue?

I have trouble replicating it from my own perspective when I die in 3rd person with the model selected.

Re: Infinite models sound loop on $sequence event 5004

Every model which has a death sound has this problem. I guess it's a bug in SC.

Creator of trainracingv2, sorry no autographs! Soctom's Avatar  
    Artist

Don't play sounds on the first or last few frames of a sequence or the model will constantly replay the sound. The number after event 5004 is the frame number in the sequence that will play the sound try changing it to 8. Also event 5004 was meant to be used for first person view models, server lag causing the player model to skip or stutter frames of a sequence calling the event can also cause it to play multiple times.

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

yep there was a big talk about this, there is nothing to be done since the "bug" is actually an issue with lag, which will never cease to exist. Better avoid sounds in playermodels death animations. As for other animations (that dont loop, this is important) you can use sounds on those. Just like that combine metrocop that goes "covermecovermecoverme" when he reloads the shotgun. Those are safe, the rest aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Soctom View Post
    Don't play sounds on the first or last few frames of a sequence or the model will constantly replay the sound. The number after event 5004 is the frame number in the sequence that will play the sound try changing it to 8. Also event 5004 was meant to be used for first person view models, server lag causing the player model to skip or stutter frames of a sequence calling the event can also cause it to play multiple times.
    I've tried setting the frame the sound should play at to 8 and the issue still occurs. I've even tried to get close to the last few frames of a sequence but still no success.

Recompile with:
    Code:
    $sequence "die_backwards" {
    	"metrocop_PRO_anims\die_backwards"
    	ACT_DIEBACKWARD 1
    	{ event 2001 15 }
    	{ event 5004 8 "player/playersounds/cop_die3.wav" }
    	fps 30
    }
    Sometimes it loops a certain distance away and other times it does not, why is that?

Is there an alternative event 5004 that I should try using? Or is there list somewhere where I can view of all the possible events?

Quote Originally Posted by GarompaEstomper View Post
    yep there was a big talk about this, there is nothing to be done since the "bug" is actually an issue with lag, which will never cease to exist. Better avoid sounds in playermodels death animations. As for other animations (that dont loop, this is important) you can use sounds on those. Just like that combine metrocop that goes "covermecovermecoverme" when he reloads the shotgun. Those are safe, the rest aren't.
    I've already experimented with animations that don't loop, it is not as noticeable but there are occurrences where I will hear the jump sound played twice. A second instance of the sound will play a millisecond after the first.

Unfortunate, but I can agree then that this issue is caused by lag. Still though, why do so many models have death sounds if they were bugged to begin with? Did the modelers of the past never test their models to find this bug or did one of the Sven Coop updates cause this at one point.

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

Oh you will find plenty of broken stuff around. Thats because much of the content of this game (models and maps) is made by the community, and yes it's obvious nobody tested that before it was released. A solution would be to code the game to ignore sounds coming from player models, but that would break other stuff I'm sure.

It's the prize to pay for such a huge amount of content :P

Creator of trainracingv2, sorry no autographs! Soctom's Avatar  
    Artist

Like I said before event 5004 was only meant to be used for first person view models, using it for anything else will be buggy.

Tester

Still though, why do so many models have death sounds if they were bugged to begin with?
    Because Both HL1 and HL2 where released as "Single Player" games. (Now re-read the posts by Soctom and GarompaEstomper, it should all become clear/understandable.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Thumbs up Re: Infinite models sound loop on $sequence event 5004

Quote Originally Posted by GarompaEstomper View Post
    Thats because much of the content of this game (models and maps) is made by the community
    That is pretty obvious as Sven Coop was a mod. Don't take me for a fool...

I was just surprised no one brought this issue up earlier, no guides, nothing mentions this. The majority of the models must have just been made for Half-Life instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Soctom View Post
    Like I said before event 5004 was only meant to be used for first person view models, using it for anything else will be buggy.
    Yes, thank you. It was meant to be client sided (((singleplayer))). I understand that, the player themselves cannot hear it from their first person view perspective (when they die) but it can be heard from another entity when it dies and you hear it in first person.