Thread: RageMap 2018 [v1]

Manager

RageMap 2018 [v1]

RAGEMAP 2018
    Name:  ZpL98fr.png
Views: 438
Size:  9.2 KB

Ragemap is a collaberative map project by serveral Sven Co-op mappers: AdamR, Aurora, CryoKeen, Hezus, mr_redman, SV BOY, tu3sday, Silencer/Zyl, Puchi & _RC, created in the summer of 2018. Mappers had 1 week to create their section, which then resulted in a fully playable map. Since there was some room left, some mappers created another section over the course of another week.

From the main spawn room, players can venture into the first opened door where they'll encounter a challenge. Once this part has been finished a new door will open up in the spawn room. Complete all sections in both maps and you beat the RAGE! Certain sections might require the use of the RAGECUBE you'll find in the center of the spawn room.

Enjoy!

Download link(s):
    - SCMAPDB [64 mb]

More screenshots:

Map specifics:
    Ragemap2018a:
    - Room 1 (floating world) by Tu3sday
    - Room 2 (frogger game) by mr_redman
    - Room 3 (storage room) by SV BOY
    - Room 4 (coloured box machines) by Hezus
    - Room 5 (big elevator) by Silencer/Zyl
    - Room 6 (caverns) by Keen
    - Room 7 (bean temple) by AdamR

Ragemap2018b:
    - Room 1 (bar) by Puchi
    - Room 2 (belt machine) by Hezus
    - Room 3 (box shooting range) by _RC
    - Room 4 (panic buttons) by Silencer/Zyl
    - Room 5 (lab) by Keen
    - Room 6 (robo apocalypse) by Aurora

Spawn room and outro sequence by Hezus

Map on SCMapDB
    Last edited by AdamR; 18-10-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added link to map on SCMapDB.

Re: RageMap 2018 [v1]

A short review with some criticisms

It's very apparent that parts of the map were not play-tested publicly, as the difficulty of many sections are through the roof. There are a few gaps with no textures, and reports of invisible brushes. In the cube puzzle, it's difficult to distinguish medium from large cubes, of any color, on the floor leading to angry players that want to skip the puzzle. It's also extremely difficult to complete the apocalypse (amazing both visually and technically btw) without SCXPM.

Overall very interesting map, look forward to seeing the next one.
    The rule of the game, is that we all are the same.

This map is fun.. but way to hard. Needs a re-release I think an easier version. Could even be a ripent

I hope i got everyone's section in the video very very sorry if I didn't i will do another video for this probably. The map is very hard currently and should be done with multiple people, if possible with people you trust lol.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Metal View Post
    It's very apparent that parts of the map were not play-tested publicly, as the difficulty of many sections are through the roof. There are a few gaps with no textures, and reports of invisible brushes. In the cube puzzle, it's difficult to distinguish medium from large cubes, of any color, on the floor leading to angry players that want to skip the puzzle. It's also extremely difficult to complete the apocalypse (amazing both visually and technically btw) without SCXPM.
    You should have played it before the easyifications. The only hard part about the apocalypse part imo is finding an RPG, once you know where they both are it's plain sailing. (Just timely.)

I've heard my bean part is too hard too, but oh well, I'm not into making easy af spoon feeder maps.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Tester

Played the map with a friend yesterday and it was quite interesting. It's kinda lika a showcase map of things that you can do with the game and it is always interesting to see what some people come up with. Also "The Terminator" battle at the end was genius, especially because it was used as the finale for the map. I just felt the only thing missing there was music.

Sadly the map wasn't without problems and some things could be annoying.

For example the "box puzzle" with the colors and sizes and whatnot was definately the most...let's say exhausting part of the map. We were only 2 players and it took like FOREVER to get through because of all the stuff that needs to be done there and the only thing you get is a boring babygarg at the end. I can see this being a bit faster with like 10 players or something but this is the one part of the map that genuinely felt like work and not fun. If svencoop had steam achievements...this is where I would like having one

Also the bean part, not so much because it was hard but because we sadly had some bugs in there. The first bug we had was that we would constantly get stuck on those moving pillars which move up and down. I don't know whats causing this, at first I thought this was because of lag but I was getting stuck too and I was the server soo yeah...probably more an engine bug than anything else. Not sure if something could be done here.

The second bug we had was that even though it tells you to get all 10 brown beans...we found only like 7 or 8. We even used noclip and looked everywhere in that area but nope no more beans, although it was kinda hard to keep track how many we actually found and "saved". But when reading the console history it seemed like we only found about 7.

The third bug was that one of the beans we found couldn't be picked up or atleast not a second time (this was in the area with the poison water and those floating ice thingies). First time I picked it up and it worked but I accidentally also got the purple one which killed me. After getting back there again the game just would not let me pick it up no matter what...not even the purple one worked anymore. Because of that it was basically impossible to finish the map (well we did it by triggering with the console but still)

All in all it's a fun and unique map but not without it's share of problems, not all of them bugs but sometimes more like a design mistake or just too much work. This is what I fear will kinda kill the replayability of the map. This is probably where this map differs from the old ragemaps, the old ones are not very pretty in terms of overall visuals and the gameplay is kinda average but atleast they could be played every once in a while without getting old or annoying.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.JC View Post
    Also the bean part, not so much because it was hard but because we sadly had some bugs in there. The first bug we had was that we would constantly get stuck on those moving pillars which move up and down. I don't know whats causing this, at first I thought this was because of lag but I was getting stuck too and I was the server soo yeah...probably more an engine bug than anything else. Not sure if something could be done here.
    I've not heard or experienced that issue. They aren't made of anything special, just `func_train`. :O I'd expect any other elevator/platform moving up/down in any other map would have the same issue.

I had even widened them from what they originally were to make it easier as an initial complaint was that they were too thin to jump on, but not getting stuck in them. Not running any fancy plug-ins are you?

The second bug we had was that even though it tells you to get all 10 brown beans...we found only like 7 or 8. We even used noclip and looked everywhere in that area but nope no more beans, although it was kinda hard to keep track how many we actually found and "saved". But when reading the console history it seemed like we only found about 7.
    I agree that a "beans left" counter would have been useful for this section, and had completely forgot that we have a dedicated entity for showing this kind of thing now! -- In essence there are 4 to the left side (2 up 2 down), 4 on the right side (1 in each chamber than the last near the lava fall), and 2 in the entrance/centre.

Some of them are hidden behind a breakable wall or hidden-ish door. They aren't impossible to see as I'd marked them with a 2-4 unit indentation, so the borders of them would be quite visible. You were probably missing these 2 beans, of which there are 4 possible locations they can appear in at random. If you didn't spot these look around the catacomb entrance where the skeleton and medkit is as here are 3 possible positions here. The 4th possible location is at the bottom side of the stairs close to where the rage cube is sitting.

The third bug was that one of the beans we found couldn't be picked up or atleast not a second time (this was in the area with the poison water and those floating ice thingies). First time I picked it up and it worked but I accidentally also got the purple one which killed me. After getting back there again the game just would not let me pick it up no matter what...not even the purple one worked anymore. Because of that it was basically impossible to finish the map (well we did it by triggering with the console but still)
    That's also news to me. The beans are all `item_inventory`, and the only limitation on picking them up is you can't carry more than 3 at a time, but you're told this with a message when you try to pick up a 4th. The purple ones are exempt from that limitation though, they will always kill you. I guess you didn't accidentally knock the "non-solid" cheat on?
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

About the Box puzzle:
    - the boxes should lock in to prevent trolling or accidental pushing when they are in the right spot
    - it takes one player to shoot the boxes when they are at 50hp to ruin the game for everyone, just saying
    - we had all boxes in place, no one of them had 50hp and nothing happened, I had to trigger the door open manually to proceed

Adams Bean Part:
    - Edit: we made it but its really tough

Keens first Part (caverns):
    - Please open the door and add a teleporter back to the spawn after sam hyde is dead or if you ripent just add a TP, very annoying to go back all the way

belt machine:
    very cool!
    Last edited by nico; 19-10-2018 at 03:44 PM.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Overall really good, but I think it needs a few minor tweaks to make this playable for the average sven player:

- The colored box room should have like 5 slots at most. It was cool after the first few boxes but gets tedious fast. It's also easy to troll this section.
    - RPGs were too scarce in the robo apocalypse part, or the robos had too much health. Fortunately it's the last section so players aren't missing much when they rtv here.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

I was going to say what I posted on the discord but seems LT.JC and w00tguy beat me to it. But I found a few more bugs, two that are gamebreaking and important.
    1: If you die and the camera falls on top of a purple bean, you get spammed by the sound and text of the deadly bean, and when you respawn you die again. This means purple beans can be triggered after death. A bit silly, a bit annoying maybe but can be lived with.

2: Completing the colored cubes puzzle in Hezus' part sometimes won't trigger the ending. (boxes correctly placed, with 24 on the counter, the door opens, players kill the random enemy boss, but then nothing happens)

3: During the treadmill ragecube journey, specifically during the moving platform part where you have a button and a valve. When the cube touches the moving platform (this one being still or moving, doesnt matter), it accelerates at high speed for no reason instead of stopping and falls resetting itself. It moves too fast for the platform's speed, so the only way we could manage to do it was to get the platform to move a little away from the treadmill to cope with the cube speed covering more space in anticipation, and then get the cube stuck on the pushing plate so it stops moving, then move the platform back, reset the plate and you're ready to do it. This required several attempts as the cube could get badly stuck on the plate having to reset it entirely.
    This problem did not happen to me when I hosted my own listenserver. The cube would stop moving once it touched the moving platform. Something might be altering the physics of it, perhaps lag?

4: In the same puzzle but at the beginning of all of the lava jumps, the first jump, being left or right, has an invisible wall or a brush problem at a bit more than the player's height, making it so if you don't crouch-jump, you hit your head on the wall and fall to your death.

5: During the beans part, on the moving pillars over lava, you do get stuck but it happened to me that I got stuck and died from poison (I believe that if you stand still in there this happens as intended) but after that (after i respawned), i couldnt make the jumps again since when I touched a pillar i would get instagibbed with heat damage, so I couldnt help with that puzzle.

So, the bug and annoying feature list would be this so far:

Bug list:
    - Puchi's bar, double end trigger: Seems like the "part complete!" end trigger is not relayed by a trigger_once or trigger relay. Since you can both wait for the timer to end the part and then shoot to trigger it again breaking the map as the ending trigger is triggered twice.

- Adambean's part, func_train pillars over lava: Players get stuck on the pillars until they die from poison. They may get their characters bugged after that forever, gibbing the player when touching a pillar every single time.

- Adambean's part, unpickupeable beans: Sometimes when having a brown bean in inventory and touching a purple bean, the brown bean then becomes unpickupeable.

- Adambean's part, invisible wall in lava jump: On the first jump of the first lava jumping puzzle, there is an invisible wall you can hit sometimes if you don't crouch jump.

- Hezus' colored cubes, ending not triggering: After killing the boss, sometimes the anding ("part is complete") is not triggered, breaking the map entirely and forcing a restart. Admins tried to trigger it using ent_trigger_ahead, but nothing helped.

- Hezus' Belt machine, fast and furious ragecube: When the ragecube touches the moving platform (the one that can be controlled with a valve), it accelerates to fast speeds way beyond the capability of the moving platform, falling to its reset really fast. One has to bug or get the cube stuck to stop it and have a chance to do this part. This could be happening because of server lag. During a listenserver playthrough with two players, the ragecube behaved as expected and didn't fall.
    Annoying list:
    - Hezus' colored cubes: Players can troll this pretty hard. Even with lots of players (at least 10) this took a very long time to finish. Many gave up because it was taking too long, so it took longer after that. It took even longer since trolls resetted the ragecube or shot the cubes. Even longer when NPC's and players shooting accidentaly destroyed more cubes that were already in place but got pushed accidentaly. If cubes would just stay in place when they are where they're supposed to be, that would help. Reducing the number of cubes as well.

- Hezus' belt machine, stuck pistons: Pistons can get the cube stuck pretty easily if triggered too soon. This is fixed if the fence is close enough to grab the cube and move it, but at certain parts the fence and the cube are too far away to do it forcing players to reset the cube entirely from the spawn room.

- Adambean's part, purple beans death's reach: You can trigger purple beans while being dead, making your next respawn fatal

- Adambean's raging beans: The lava puzzles are hard but doable. The other jump puzzles are not, since they require bunnyhop, hookmod or many organized players to boost eachother on each jump. Without bunnyhopping or air gliding (which is not as easy as it sounds, I myself can't do these since forever), or any sort of tool or kind of cheat, the jumps simply can't be made. It took an hour and a half to do this part alone. And was done by the only player who knew how to bunnyhop. The rest left the server, went afk or simply raged. If the intention was to make people rage, then well done. If the intention was to make a hard map to bash your skull on like a counter-strike KZ kind of map, then well done. If the intention was to make the map be hosted on servers, forget about it, if it happens people will "rtv" at the second it starts.
    Last edited by GarompaEstomper; 21-10-2018 at 06:41 PM.

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

Some of the physics bugs might be caused by sys_ticrate being too high, although 100 is the default(?) and that's what my server was set to. I should have tried changing to 60 at those parts.
    Love,
    w00tguy

Japanese Wannabe NYO~~~! ゞ(´゜ω゜)つ~☆ Nero's Avatar

First part of the second map (ragemap2018b), the no-shooting-bar, can break the map if you actually wait for the timer to finish and get the "RageMap Part Finished! Move to the next!" message, then start shooting.
    The same triggers that open the next part get toggled, ie: you can't progress in the map.
    (manually trigger puchi_sector_over to move on)

Granted, it is astronomically unlikely that no players will start shooting - but still

Furthermore: the script that checks if players are shooting does not account for things like the secondary fire of the Uzi (does nothing) or the deagle (toggles the laser-sight)

Conveyor puzzle (?)
    In the second part the cube can get pushed too far forward causing it to block the movement of the second upwards-moving piston.
    Unless I've missed something the only way to progress is:

1) Run back to spawn
    2) Push the cube-respawn button and hope the vote goes through
    3) Drag the cube back
    4) Do the first part of the puzzle again
    5) Yikes D:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021192741_1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	18190
    A reset button or something at this part would be nice.
    Last edited by Nero; 21-10-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Nero of TSP and Wotnet
    Ingame names: Nero, Horny-Girl-13
    IRC nick: Nero (probably)

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

- Puchi's bar, double end trigger: Seems like the "part complete!" end trigger is not relayed by a trigger_once or trigger relay. Since you can both wait for the timer to end the part and then shoot to trigger it again breaking the map as the ending trigger is triggered twice.
    please show me a video. i made three endings.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

I just made a compilation of all bugs from everyone. That's Nero's bug, commented above your reply, I've not tested it yet but I will.

One of us will work on fixing and re-releasing this, i will if no one gets around to it within a month. Thank you for all the feedback and bug reports! There was a teleport er from my area to spawn but it got removed or something or wasn't in the proper map, sorry!

Donated 15NS$ for Sven's Holiday at the Bahamas Puchi's Avatar  
    Artist

reminder to please show me a video of the ending bug.
    Do it with passion, or not at all.
    Do not say everything you know. Know everything you say.
    [ MarySP ][ nacl-h2o ][ The next SC Version ♥♥♥♥ing pwns! ][Puchis Maps ]