Thread: Old patch that makes pre 4.8 singleplayer maps suitable for 2 players

Old patch that makes pre 4.8 singleplayer maps suitable for 2 players

So back in the old days, if you played through Half-Life's singleplayer campaign in Sven Co-op then you got loads of new monsters, including Opposing Force Race-X aliens, and Black Ops in Questionable Ethics, cool stuff like that.

However, it was set up for huge firefights with 16 players, and was impossible for small numbers of players. So at some point, someone released some kind of installer or patch that rebalanced those maps to be suitable for smaller number of players.

In the current version of Sven Co-Op, it's just normal Half-Life singleplayer. I've downloaded old Sven Co-Op 4.8 to get the old Half-Life singleplayer campaign with the Opposing Force monsters, so that a friend and I can play through them together. But I've no idea where to find that old patch that rebalanced the maps for 2 players. Does anyone know where I can find that old patch?
    I touched Quon's egg.
    (That's a RahXephon joke.)

BRUT

Re: Old patch that makes pre 4.8 singleplayer maps suitable for 2 players

You can just setup an easy difficulty in config, it is really easy even for two
    BRUT.me - Half-Life & MODs Gaming Servers (not only )

Manager

I'm not quite sure what you're after.

It sounds like you want the old easier versions of the 3.x/4.x HLSP maps that are already easier on 5.x but too new... The old maps are significantly shorter and more fragmented so I'm not sure why you'd want those.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

Because he wants the op4 content in them. The current version has all of that cut.

Perhaps there's a ripent out there that brings them back? But haven't seen it.

Manager

Ohhh those, haha nah we don't have those anymore. That op4 content wasn't added with general team approval. Let's just say that HLSP was more lawless during the 4.x era.

When the team re-did HLSP for 5.x they started from scratch making sure the experience was as close to the original experience as possible. -- HLSP is meant to be HLSP, not OP4.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Ohhh those, haha nah we don't have those anymore. That op4 content wasn't added with general team approval. Let's just say that HLSP was more lawless during the 4.x era.

When the team re-did HLSP for 5.x they started from scratch making sure the experience was as close to the original experience as possible. -- HLSP is meant to be HLSP, not OP4.
    Ah, well while you developers and admins might not have those files anymore, I was hoping someone on these forums had it sitting on their hard drive somewhere, or knew of an old download link mirror that might still be active.

I've already gotten back that op4 content simply by installing an old version of Sven Co-op. (And if my friend and I want to play them using 5.x., we can simply copy the maps over to 5.x. It'll be incompatible for playing with other people, but we just want to play together anyway.)

But the point is that someone - I'm not sure if an actual Sven Co-op dev, or just an amateur on these forums - created their own patch/installation file that reworked those old maps (full of op4 content) and changed the numbers of monsters to be more reasonable for 2 to 4 players, rather than a dozen players. I know it was officially released on the Sven Co-Op site, ages back. I guess I could just try trawling back through a two decades of news archives...

EDIT: Ah, found it! Or at least, found the old news about it: http://www.svencoop.com/archive/news...ve-11-2004.php

"The previous version of the support files (which was included with Sven Co-op 3.0) were balanced for very large player counts, making the maps near to impossible for small groups of players to complete. This version reduces monster numbers, types and strengths to levels much more comparable to the originals, making it perfect for LAN or small Internet games."

Unfortunately the download links is that news post no longer work.

However, I suspect it may be the case that Sven Co-Op 4.0 onwards already uses these anyway. Guess I'll need to experiment with 4.8 and see how tough it is.

Quote Originally Posted by spravcavBrute View Post
    You can just setup an easy difficulty in config, it is really easy even for two
    Ah, now that's a great idea. If it turns out that Sven Co-Op with op4 monsters is balanced for huge numbers of players, we could do a config file in which enemy weapons do less damage, player weapons do more damage, etc. Would it simply be case of modifying the skill.cfg file in my svencoop folder, and running a server?
    Last edited by your evil twin; 16-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    I touched Quon's egg.
    (That's a RahXephon joke.)

BRUT

right and maybe server.cfg/listenserver.cfg + every map has its own cfg, that can be modified too to suit most of peoples needs try to connect to my BRUT.me server which is on version 4.8 and try the difficulty, it is now set to realistic, but I plan it to change to hard in the future, as it is too easy for me... but i dunno how much of the oldschool content u mean is present in 4.8 version, but u can compare at least
    BRUT.me - Half-Life & MODs Gaming Servers (not only )

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

there is a patch for the sven coop half-life maps (single player)
    . What are you looking at?

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

here is a link for a patch to the svencoop 3.0 half-life single player maps, works with .pak files
    it is very old. but it still works in sc3.0

https://sites.google.com/site/edman747/

--- at one time worked with .pak files ---
    updated to work with .gcf files
    Last edited by edman747; 29-11-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    . What are you looking at?