Thread: Forums shutting down March 2019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Manager

Forums shutting down March 2019

Due to various security vulnerabilities, I'll be shutting down the forums sometime in March of 2019.

The software we're using continues to get hit by bot attacks, and there's evidence that these forums are open to other exploits.
    If you are re-using your Sven Co-op forum password for other online accounts, I would advise changing them immediately.

I'll be exporting the posts and archiving them for display at a later date. Until then, the countdown begins.

If you have any questions about this, visit our Official Discord channel here: http://discord.gg/svencoop

Contributor

Re: Forums shutting down March 2019

Thousands

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Oh no - So sad We would like to support with Sven Coop
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Just another co-op player Maestro Fénix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Due to various security vulnerabilities, I'll be shutting down the forums sometime in March of 2019.

The software we're using continues to get hit by bot attacks, and there's evidence that these forums are open to other exploits.
    If you are re-using your Sven Co-op forum password for other online accounts, I would advise changing them immediately.

I'll be exporting the posts and archiving them for display at a later date. Until then, the countdown begins.

If you have any questions about this, visit our Official Discord channel here: http://discord.gg/svencoop
    On what sense the archive will be available, as the default forum display but everything under "read only mode"? HTML only text?

The SC forums are together with TWHL the last place for GoldSrc modding so depriving the internet of all the information from here would cause a bit hit on GoldSrc modding.

Here we go again

Laala "Black Sparkle" Manaka Jdramirez's Avatar

Well thats just great...how am i supposed to redownload the AngelScript plugins if this is already shut down?

func_vehicle enthusiaist w00tguy123's Avatar

I'm not too surprised considering how dead this place got after 2016 or so.

I guess discord works as a substitute for most of the forum, but we'll need a place to host scripts, models, tutorials, and basically any thread here that has useful info.

Gamebanana?
    Love,
    w00tguy

Here we go, another step forward to a future dead mod.

RCbot Waypointer

To Sniper,

It would be a shame to see this site go down, it's such a huge resource of information going way back nearly 20 years. It will be missed. I use the site weekly if not daily as a guest, most of the time.

Would you consider locking the site down in read only mode, until you are able to replace it? I would prefer this to a complete shutdown, but would it satisfy your security concerns???

Short of those drastic actions, have you considered putting out a call to the community to recruit a volunteer to either maintain or work on the security issues of the site?

Thank-you for your work all these years, but please consider something short of a complete shutdown, if that is possible?

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

Please! Someone with full access to the forums make a backup of all the files in it so people can download later!

And Joce, you could be right, but things changed, people use discord now

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GarompaEstomper View Post
    Please! Someone with full access to the forums make a backup of all the files in it so people can download later!

And Joce, you could be right, but things changed, people use discord now

Whoa, calm down there buddy. Read the original post.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2 View Post
    To Sniper,

It would be a shame to see this site go down, it's such a huge resource of information going way back nearly 20 years. It will be missed. I use the site weekly if not daily as a guest, most of the time.

Would you consider locking the site down in read only mode, until you are able to replace it? I would prefer this to a complete shutdown, but would it satisfy your security concerns???

Short of those drastic actions, have you considered putting out a call to the community to recruit a volunteer to either maintain or work on the security issues of the site?

Thank-you for your work all these years, but please consider something short of a complete shutdown, if that is possible?
    Please re-read the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by w00tguy123 View Post
    I'm not too surprised considering how dead this place got after 2016 or so.
    [...]but we'll need a place to host scripts, models, tutorials, and basically any thread here that has useful info.[...]
    When it comes to tutorials, I guess 303s and twhl still give potential map-designers all the info they need to start.
    When it comes to how dead it is here, well...can you blame many of the ones who left for leaving?

I know that I personally put aside most of the maps I worked on and kinda bailed away after I asked on the Steam Forums if Grenade/Xbow/Rocket Jumping would return since it's possible in 3.0 but not since 4.8. I seemingly annoyed Sniper enough (cause he thought it was still doable until I sent video proof) that he started talking shit about me in more private circles which got sent to me.
    But hey, it at least finally pushed me to venture towards Source.
    Last edited by DrRhubarb; 02-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by DrRhubarb View Post
    When it comes to tutorials, I guess 303s and twhl still give potential map-designers all the info they need to start.
    When it comes to how dead it is here, well...can you blame many of the ones who left for leaving?

I know that I personally put aside most of the maps I worked on and kinda bailed away after I asked on the Steam Forums if Grenade/Xbow/Rocket Jumping would return since it's possible in 3.0 but not since 4.8. I seemingly annoyed Sniper enough (cause he thought it was still doable until I sent video proof) that he started talking shit about me in more private circles which got sent to me.
    But hey, it at least finally pushed me to venture towards Source.

Wrong. Re-read this thread where I responded to your specific requests:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/22584...0464207/?ctp=2

How am I not being helpful here?
    If you want, please re-read the entire thread from start to finish to understand the context of your complaints. Also read my responses in the thread to get a refresher of how you derailed the conversation artfully. I thought we put this topic to bed.

Also, you're extremely off topic. Let's cut the personal attacks, shall we?
    Last edited by Sniper; 03-01-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Hi all, I just want to extend an enthusiastic and wholehearted welcome to anybody wanting to join or contribute to TWHL. We're slowly becoming the last remaining site for Goldsource resources, and I want to assure everybody that TWHL will absolutely not be shut down, ever. Anybody can contribute to the wiki with tutorials, guides, or other resources. Maps, models, and other downloadables can be uploaded to the vault.

I totally understand the move to shut down the Sven forums for security reasons, but it's a real shame considering the resources that have collected here over the years. Hopefully the archive will be available indefinitely.

Thank you Sniper and the Sven Co-op team for hosting these forums for so long, and for providing us all with a fantastic mod!

Exclamation THIS IS FUCKING INSANE HOLY FUCKING SHIT OMFG JESUFS

I believe the following video summarizes my feelings on this issue.

It is necessary to take care of the backup of the Model Showcase section on gamebanana.com and moddb.com.
    I'm on moddb
    I'm on gamebanana
    I'm on youtube

Manager

Looks like a lot of you haven't read the OP properly. We will create a complete archive of everything public and publish it.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

i'm gonna miss the sven forums rip

IoT Hard & Software dev.

So shutting down the Forum and moving to a Third Party solution, which the owner is known for its unsafe handling of private data is better?
    I mean, there are reasons why Discord is for free: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...discord-sucks/

Linux development & test edman747's Avatar  
    Programmer

Moving `forums.svencoop.com` to a new server with better software, wonderful. I like it, I love you, You are the master
    . What are you looking at?

Ultimate Monster Mapper amckern's Avatar  
    Programmer
    SC Kicks ass!

My Maps - SC_28, SC_AVP, SC_AVP10, SC_Duno, SC_Max, Opposing Forts, SC_Massive, SC_Oni
    My Web Sites - AMMAHLS

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Annnnnnnd bye bye Sven Coop Forum isssss doooooooowwwnnnnnn like Facebook is diwn, Twitter is also down, than we can't get online like we go back in year 1988.
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

IoT Hard & Software dev.

RIP

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

we could make an archive of all the files posted here? (aside from backing up the posts. Personally I'd just backup posts that have some relevance like tutorials and problems being solved, but thats just me)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast