Thread: [TFC port] The Climb series

Manager

[TFC port] The Climb series

A 3-series of custom maps for Team Fortress Classic called The Climb have been ported to Sven Co-op. -- These can get extremely challenging (especially the 3rd), not responsible for rage-broken hardware!

These maps are not linked/related, just named in a linear way by the same original author.

Server operators: To preserve the sanity of your players and the longevity of their hardware please kindly enable our (or a 3rd party) Teleport plug-in, or a similar alternative, so your players can save/load their position when (not if) they fall. These maps are very harsh and unforgiving of mistakes.

Map 1

Medium difficulty of the 3 maps. (1-2 hours for a first run.)

http://scmapdb.com/map:the-climb

Map 2

Easiest of the 3 maps. (30-60 minutes for a first run.)

http://scmapdb.com/map:the-climb-2

Map 3

Really extremely challenging indeed! (2-3 hours for a first run, probably longer.) -- Has progress percentage messages throughout.

http://scmapdb.com/map:the-climb-3

GLHF
    Last edited by AdamR; 03-02-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Map 3: Has progress percentage messages throughout.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Re: [TFC port] The Climb series

I miss maps like this from the TFC days. Too bad SC doesn't have conc grenades or explosion boost, else a whole lot of other maps could be ported. One of my favorites was pipeworld2001.

Manager

Are those weapons not script implementable?
    (We don't have any TFC source code to work from if we were to do this as standard.)
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

sc_chocolat mastermind  
    Tester

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Are those weapons not script implementable?
    (We don't have any TFC source code to work from if we were to do this as standard.)
    In theory, yes. In practice, it's going to take a lot of hacks and workarounds to get the movement right. I've been poking around with an idea like this and it ought to be possible, it'll definitely get ugly but my TFC plugin is already ugly enough on its own so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think the hardest part would be to get the explosion knockback working properly, TFC pushes players around a lot more than SC ever did.

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by H2Whoa View Post
    I think the hardest part would be to get the explosion knockback working properly, TFC pushes players around a lot more than SC ever did.
    Isn't that done by just setting the angular velocity entvar?
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

sc_chocolat mastermind  
    Tester

Something like that, I believe, yeah. Getting it to play nice with the existing knockback logic without pushing the boundaries is the tricky part. I had to do some funky logic with FSMs to get the "thud" landing bump + sound effect to kick in earlier than it would in SC, I can imagine that the script would have to process the armor amount and subtract the game's knockback from the script's knockback in order to get the desired effect. Otherwise, people will be flying like crazy when they don't have any armor.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    Isn't that done by just setting the angular velocity entvar?
    Angular velocity based on distance from the explosion/conc origin. If you just used a fixed value, multi-explosion/conc jumps wouldn't work. The more difficult conc maps sometimes require precise timing of 3-4 concs in a row.

Did Valve give you the source for Deathmatch Classic? TFC movement evolved from QWTF and DMC has basically the same movement system since it tried to emulate Quake movement.