Thread: Surf broken in Sven Co-op 5?

Surf broken in Sven Co-op 5?

I've been wanting to add a small surf section in the map that I'm currently working on, but when I was testing it out I would just lose my speed out of the blue as if there was a poorly constructed wave. So at first I thought it could be the surf waves being clipped poorly but this issue really occured on any surf wave, as it was still apparent in one of my old maps (which I know used to work). Finally, I tried one of the classic CS 1.6 maps "surf_ninja" but I couldn't even get past the first wave without instantly losing my speed somewhere during the wave!

I tried "surf_ninja" in 4.8 and I had no issues playing through the entire level. I didn't get stuck a single time in any of the waves, so it seems that surf stopped working with 5.0.

Manager

Re: Surf broken in Sven Co-op 5?

I just tried the dymar surf map. It does still work but there one or two occasions where I clipped onto something invisible and stopped. Still very playable though.
    I wouldn't use CS surf maps as benchmarks as the movement physics for them is way different to HLDM/SC.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    I just tried the dymar surf map. It does still work but there one or two occasions where I clipped onto something invisible and stopped.
    I believe this is the issue that I tried to describe. I'm having this issue to varying degrees.

I wouldn't use CS surf maps as benchmarks as the movement physics for them is way different to HLDM/SC.
    My point was that these maps works flawlessly on 4.8 while for some reason 5.0 has the dead-stop issue occurring. It's also not entirely consistent; sometimes you can surf for quite a few waves but other times you seem to get stuck instantly somewhere on the first wave.

I tried to create just a primitive map with just one wave and it does work to surf on for some time but a dead-stop happens sooner or later. It really prevents longer surf sessions from being viable. I will test this out in 4.8 as well later to compare.

EDIT: I'm also open to the possibility that this may all be client-based (e.g. cvars), if defaults have changed between versions. Will also test this out later.

Make Surfing Great Again!

Registered User GarompaEstomper's Avatar

Mmmm. Could this problem with the getting stuck be the same in ragemap2016 in the bean part? When you jump on the edges and then on the moving pillars, you can get stuck in an "invisible wall" mid-air on the edge jump. While the moving pillars can get players stuck on the pillar.

Perhaps a change in physics did this? Maybe deactivating the ledge-grab for the map helps? Should try that, I think there's a cfg command to disable it

Tester

Maybe deactivating the ledge-grab for the map helps?
    I would try that first. (Ledge-grab probably uses a Couch animation on player) which may cause a unintended code "feed back", especially if you are following the V31 "surf guidelines" [link].

Please give us and the community a "heads up" if you find a working method/solution. (Else someone will have to eventually look into the code.)
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

Manager

Ah yeah that's worth a try, though the auto-climb ledge grabbing was a feature of 4.0 too, so I'd have suspected the issue to be present there as well.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons