Thread: How is the Halflife campaign these days?

How is the Halflife campaign these days?

Hey All,

Couple of years ago my friends and I had a mini-lan and played through the HL1 campaign. We turned it into a drinking game and it was the best coop experience of my life!
    The only thing we ran in to were some map breaking bugs that kept us from progressing and we had to use console commands to skip certain points. (Such as being unable to fire the testrocket in the pit map, the one with the tentacle monster. Being unable to launch that one rocket sometime later in the game,..)

Are bugs like this still present? I have been wanting to recreate the lan from back then and it would be a dream to be able to play through the campaign in one go!

Manager

Re: How is the Halflife campaign these days?

It's better now than ever. It had a massive re-work for 5.0, our first Steam release, which meant it got tested a LOT.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

Of course, it's possible that you played it in 2016 when it was first released. In that case, the re-work that Adam mentioned probably already happened. But we've fixed a lot of the initial bugs and haven't had many major issues to fix in a very long time (at least nothing I've heard about). It should be fairly stable and well-polished at this point.

Sounds good, we'll play through it again and I'll report back if the same issues happen!

Tester

If you played on a LAN server it is possible that most of these bugs happened because of it.

Some things don't seem to work correctly on a LAN server like equipment that carries over from maps and probably global trigger related stuff like buttons that trigger something in another map.

This is just an assumption as I don't know all the details but there was someone on the steam forums who had this kind of problem which only seemed to show up when I started a LAN server instead of online.
    Born to Fight,
    Trained to Kill,
    Taught to Survive,
    and told to take no Prisoners.
    Visit http://www.youtube.com/NostalgicGames

Well pretty much all issues we had were related to progressing from one map to the next or certain triggers not firing. Some examples;

Chapter 6: Blast Pit - The test rocket not firing after pressing the button. I'm 100% sure we activated the two prerequisites (I think it's fuel and O2)
    Chapter 7: Power Up - The train rails not getting powered up after pressing the button
    Chapter 8: On A Rail - Satellite not launching after pressing the button to launch the rocket.
    Chapter 14: Lambda Core - There was definitely something broken in this chapter as well but like I said, this was a drinking game playthrough and things were quite vague by then

Come to look at it, looks like all issues are related to things that didn't trigger after pressing their button!

Lt.JC: Good tip about the LAN server, I'll try hosting an online one next time