Thread: bug: disable player custom sprays doesnt work

de SPiKEe *x*D

bug: disable player custom sprays doesnt work

easy simple: seeing pr0n all over even if setting custom sprays to disabled - tldr: doesn't work

c'mon : are those features even tested at all?

Manager

Re: bug: disable player custom sprays doesnt work

Quote Originally Posted by despikyxd View Post
    c'mon : are those features even tested at all?
    I don't know how you expect us to do anything for you with this rhetoric. The issues you raise would be taken more seriously if you didn't post them with such an insulting tone.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

de SPiKEe *x*D

well - how do you think to stay me serious when all i see is just going down in a 90°-straight-to-hell-screw-about-having-a-floor-we-could-crash-on way since 4.x?
    sure - 3.0 was for many years something original done for the old WON edition and wasn't even planed to work on steam realease as well as it did - and starting with 4.x much was re-done to make a more recent and steam-specific version - wich, if i recall the versions correctly, also required a few hotfixes before it worked smoothly
    but since 5.0 the quality just fell down in a way like ubisoft screwed up breakpoint: it seems there's just no QA at all - pretty much like minecraft and its modding community
    sure - as a hobby-dev i do know it can be hard to come up with something when all time one has is ones few minutes free time before/after daily job and aside from family - but all i ask for is: just test what you did before release it to the wild public
    idk when this function was added as i as said turned away on 5.07 or so after big screw up of linux server repo breaking many things - but they way it is currently in 5.20 it just looks to my eyes that someone had a good idea and maybe did some changes that when looking at it from a wider view MAY do what is intented - but a very serious, non-rethoric question: was this features tested after adding before release? the way it's broken in current public release version: it seems NO - it wasn't - or at least not in an environment like a public server but only a controlled test environment - and it may have worked in some way in those tests - it doesn't work in what's released to public
    in addition: i'm pretty sure that some of the staff play on public servers - either just for fun or maybe for some project related stuff like does it perform as it should or are there some bugs - so at least one of the team responsible for this new feature just by chance had to notice that it just doesn't work - and steam offers you the possibilty to just quickly push a hotfix - and as it's a client side setting and rendering there isn't even a server update required
    and all those small things - those: "someone put in some new lines of code - but it doesn't work in the public release" in combination with what seems like a "we don't care" attitude is what makes me write posts like this - when was 5.20 released? april? we today have 09.11.2019 - 30 year aniversary of fall of berlin wall - and you want to tell me that NOONE noticed this yet since when ever this was added?
    sorry - but I just have to repeat myself: requesting refund of my 10$ donation back from 4.06 as I don't see they were spent well ... and aside from it was a donation - one could still argue it was at least some form of payment - for wich i can at least expect that someone adding new features test them before realsing to public - gosh damnit

yes - i do like the work you all did and do - and sure it's hell of fun to play half-life co-op - wich one could play gta v in this way - but adding a switch to disable custom sprays not working? can't think of that many lines where the check for this flag actually has to be implemented to switch between some default and the actual custom texture

i could literally spam the board with so many bugs i experience by just playing it on a full 32 player public server - but in my eyes i see this as your job to be done - not mine
    if this project degraded form the quality it once had back in 3.0 to some 5-minute-crash-to-desktop-party like modern triple-a titles - i don't see me again in the future re-visit SC and give it another chance
    i just loaded it as i wanted to play around some GoldSrc - but i guess i have to stick to plain old HL - so at least i can blame valve for not using my 10$ i payed for it to fix some simple bugs

that's my point of view to this whole hobbyist developer community and neither SC nore MC can change it - when something isn't ready for release to public - then just don't release it but fix it ... there's even a style named by it: test-driven development - pretty useful and automates many things as one just models the problem to be solved and let the framework do the solving in an optimized way

i could literally spam the board with so many bugs i experience by just playing it on a full 32 player public server - but in my eyes i see this as your job to be done - not mine
    if this project degraded form the quality it once had back in 3.0 to some 5-minute-crash-to-desktop-party like modern triple-a titles - i don't see me again in the future re-visit SC and give it another chance
    Welcome to the state of Sven Coop in the 5.xx branch. Reporting any bugs here will result in one of the three following scenarios:

1) No acknowledgement from the devs whatsoever.
    2) Told it's not the devs problem because <insert excuse here>.
    3) Won't be fixed because one or more of the devs throws a hissy fit because they don't want it to change.

Just take a look at the past two bug reports I made. One dev throws a hissy fit and locks it because he has a grudge against server ops and the second has 78 views and zero responses.

I too have a laundry list of bugs that I have never reported. Some minor, some major and some are plain nasty. Of the several I have reported in the past, only one was ever fixed. So like you, I won't bother reporting any more bugs, they can figure them out on their own. Seeing as many of these bugs have existed for years, I don't think they'll ever find them, let alone fix them.

Manager

well - how do you think to stay me serious when all i see is just going down in a 90°-straight-to-hell-screw-about-having-a-floor-we-could-crash-on way since 4.x?
    I don't know you. I've never heard from you until this week. However those such posts have been talking to us like we're complete assholes, which is why I've not taken kindly to your tone.

From my perspective you're just some angry "customer" (and I loathe to use that word because we have no "customers" per se) making a very agitated complaint about your purchase when in fact we are not a commercial vendor at all, and you have never made any commercial transaction with us.

sure - 3.0 was for many years something original done for the old WON edition and wasn't even planed to work on steam realease as well as it did - and starting with 4.x much was re-done to make a more recent and steam-specific version - wich, if i recall the versions correctly, also required a few hotfixes before it worked smoothly
    Actually the 3.0 version was designed to work with Steam. A lot of work went in at the time, mostly by Sniper, to get that release working well on Steam. Its no mistake or fluke that it worked that well.

sure - as a hobby-dev i do know it can be hard to come up with something when all time one has is ones few minutes free time before/after daily job and aside from family - but all i ask for is: just test what you did before release it to the wild public
    I very disagree with you there. If you understood the position of people making a hobby project you wouldn't treat them like complete assholes when you want something changed. You're talking to us like an over-privileged child somehow thinking we owe the world our lives for free. You clearly have no empathy for the receiving side of your comments. If you did you'd have used a more amicable approach to your feedback.

You are correct only on the point of how limited our time is around working and personal lives, though you had evidently forgotten that as of late.

idk when this function was added as i as said turned away on 5.07 or so after big screw up of linux server repo breaking many things - but they way it is currently in 5.20 it just looks to my eyes that someone had a good idea and maybe did some changes that when looking at it from a wider view MAY do what is intented - but a very serious, non-rethoric question: was this features tested after adding before release? the way it's broken in current public release version: it seems NO - it wasn't - or at least not in an environment like a public server but only a controlled test environment - and it may have worked in some way in those tests - it doesn't work in what's released to public
    I'm not sure what this feature has to do with Linux servers, but yes at the time of its implementation the option to disable custom sprays did work.

This was something I implemented. It works as a simple CVAR definition on "hpk_maxsize" by setting it to zero. This tells the engine that it can cache 0 bytes of player decals, which would equate to caching none at all, thus not being able to download/see them.

What may be the problem is since we've (had to) move over to SteamPipe and its file system components fully our client game library may no longer be able to delete an existing spray cache file "custom.hpk" as Steam's components are much more protective when it comes to deleting files. -- That means if you previously had the spray cache size at the standard 2 MB or larger 16 MB, and have downloaded/stored sprays in that cache, they'd still exist when you rethink that you now want to cache 0 bytes. (The call to delete the cache file probably no longer goes through.)

This is not an obvious problem or side effect though, and has likely gone unnoticed because nobody on our team internally opts to disable player sprays, and nobody has (until now) brought up this issue.

If you reported it in a more mature nature we'd have gladly looked into this sooner. Nevertheless I've logged this on our internal issue board so we will look into it. Thanks for letting us know.

in addition: i'm pretty sure that some of the staff play on public servers - either just for fun or maybe for some project related stuff like does it perform as it should or are there some bugs - so at least one of the team responsible for this new feature just by chance had to notice that it just doesn't work - and steam offers you the possibilty to just quickly push a hotfix - and as it's a client side setting and rendering there isn't even a server update required
    Yep I play on public servers now and then, though I don't choose to disable sprays. I can't speak for the rest of the team though.

and all those small things - those: "someone put in some new lines of code - but it doesn't work in the public release" in combination with what seems like a "we don't care" attitude is what makes me write posts like this - when was 5.20 released? april? we today have 09.11.2019 - 30 year aniversary of fall of berlin wall - and you want to tell me that NOONE noticed this yet since when ever this was added?
    Now here you've made one of the most classic mistakes of all.

Sure we run test sessions in somewhat public environments. Our release candidate versions are exactly what the public (eventually) gets, and if you take a quick look at the game server browser you'll see there are still some of these running.

We even run some test sessions with the community on Discord coming up to release, which does bring us some useful feedback.

However your mistake is thinking that we can account for literally every potential situation the public will encounter. This is completely unreasonable. That's why we allow the community to submit us feedback, and contrary to your belief, we do try to act on as much of it as we can.

Not even bespoke commercial projects can account for every potential situation their clients will encounter because the client will always have a more clear idea of how they'd be using a project in their own environment. This is why waterfall cycles exist for feedback/issues to be addressed.

The problem with you is simply down to how you deliver your feedback. Talk to us like adults and we'll take you seriously, and perhaps remember that if you truly want this project to work well think about using a more positive and motivating tone to get your desired result. And above all, remember that we're doing this for free of charge -- we're not your servants and owe you nothing.

sorry - but I just have to repeat myself: requesting refund of my 10$ donation back from 4.06 as I don't see they were spent well ... and aside from it was a donation - one could still argue it was at least some form of payment - for wich i can at least expect that someone adding new features test them before realsing to public - gosh damnit

yes - i do like the work you all did and do - and sure it's hell of fun to play half-life co-op - wich one could play gta v in this way - but adding a switch to disable custom sprays not working? can't think of that many lines where the check for this flag actually has to be implemented to switch between some default and the actual custom texture
    This confirms my thoughts and feelings on your perspective. You think you have paid for a product there, not a donation as a thank you for what you've already had from us.

You're welcome to requesting a refund though. I don't know how that works as I'm not responsible for that aspect, particularly as your donation is very historic, but contact donations@svencoop.com with your request.

You're welcome to your opinion, though if we don't get feedback how can we possibly action it? Never mind, you keep it to yourself, because that's definitely the best approach.

i just loaded it as i wanted to play around some GoldSrc - but i guess i have to stick to plain old HL - so at least i can blame valve for not using my 10$ i payed for it to fix some simple bugs

that's my point of view to this whole hobbyist developer community and neither SC nore MC can change it - when something isn't ready for release to public - then just don't release it but fix it ... there's even a style named by it: test-driven development - pretty useful and automates many things as one just models the problem to be solved and let the framework do the solving in an optimized way
    Yeah, you're just confirming everything I've said.

Again, you think you've paid for Sven Co-op in the form of a donation, but a donation is not a payment.

I guess that'll be the last we here from you as you're so highly displeased with the product you've apparently bought from us, so we'll just wish you well on your path.

Goodbye.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Just take a look at the past two bug reports I made. One dev throws a hissy fit and locks it because he has a grudge against server ops and the second has 78 views and zero responses.
    The "bug" you reported is not a bug. You requested that server operators have more control over map makers creation. Your request was denied with quite an in-depth explanation. A bug is only a bug if something does not work as the creator intended. Your opinion, which you're welcome to, does not constitute as our intention.

It could be said that the grudge lay solely on your part against mappers, but who are they to have a creative opinion?

May I remind you of this? https://forums.svencoop.com/showthre...l=1#post521029

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The developers are the direct cause of the ever shrinking pool of mappers for SC. Why? Because they plain and simple don't care about mapper's problems (or anyone else's for that matter.) It's the reason I stopped fixing old maps and working on new maps, because while they acknowledge lots of problems, they never fix them, or sometimes take months or years. By the time they bother, we've lost interest and moved on.
    You seemed to be fully sided with mappers there, though how your tune has changed...

A key complaint we had from mappers was that their map experience got ruined by server operators piling on add-ons and overriding their settings. That's precisely why the "static.cfg" feature got retracted.

--

As for your other thread about Svencraft issues, 78 views could be anyone, including search bots. -- I'll go and have a read of that shortly.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    You seemed to be fully sided with mappers there, though how your tune has changed...

A key complaint we had from mappers was that their map experience got ruined by server operators piling on add-ons and overriding their settings. That's precisely why the "static.cfg" feature got retracted.
    Where exactly did my tune change? Your "tune" is you hate people altering maps - Welcome to Half-Life for the past 20 years. Playing the same map the same way for years gets boring, hence why plugins like SCXPM came along, it made the game more interesting.

My complaints are the exact same now as three years ago, bugs and problems that are never fixed. This is the same whether you make maps or play the game. I have done both so I complain on both sides, but not for the same reasons you seem to think I am, like people altering maps.