Thread: Fatal Error "mod_numknown >= 16384"

Rusty kinda noob mapper butcher2236's Avatar

Exclamation Fatal Error "mod_numknown >= 16384"

Hey Guys,

This is what I get after compiling my map and run It, anyone know what it means?

Manager

Re: Fatal Error "mod_numknown >= 16384"

Yes, your map is loading too many models, and couldn't find any redundant slots to reallocate.

Must be quite a big map, or it just references a LOT of external model/sprite resources, as the vanilla GoldSrc limit was only 1024. You're exceeding 16384!

(This could possibly happen if you have an absolute buttload of player models stored locally.)
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Also on: Steam | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Manager

Wow, now I'm curious how you managed to break that limit.

Oh damn, yes I'm using a lot of external models, not player models, just furnitures. Any idea how to deal with this without taking out models? I'm using item_generic for them

A little part of the map

Advanced Leveldesigner SourceSkyBoxer's Avatar

Is it possible to use cycle or env_model? Or via zhlt_usemodel?
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Please do not share to shit dropbox! Please share only Mega.nz!
    Muhahaha, Facebook crashed!

Manager

How many things in that screenshot are brush based models? (func_wall etc)
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Released AMXX plug-ins: Bind number slots | NextMap with Sven Co-op fix | Sven Co-op administrator icons

Quote Originally Posted by SourceSkyBoxer View Post
    Is it possible to use cycle or env_model? Or via zhlt_usemodel?
    I'm goint to try, not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    How many things in that screenshot are brush based models? (func_wall etc)
    func_wall are the glass walls, the grey frames and the lights, the other things are just models (item_generic)

Manager

You should use "func_detail" instead of "func_wall" for brush based props that don't need special rendering properties. (The glass would need to remain "func_wall" only for that reason.)

The benefits of "func_detail" is that they do not produce BSP models as they are compiled as world brushes, can be made non-solid to save clip nodes (which should be used for the ceiling lights), and do not cause face division on the outer walls they're attached to.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Please read more with func_detail like @AdamR explains or zhlt_usemodel you should read or download example of zhlt_usemodel like it has copy of real model to copy in bsp file.
    Hello guys, Svencoop. I am sorry Please respect me! I am deaf. Thanks, Sven-Coop Forum!

Tester

^ AdamR & SourceSkyBoxer, use func_detail and zhlt_usemodel, until it allows your the map to compile.

From a purely interest point of view can you post THE RESOURCES USED part of your compile log.
    (This may help us further decide which engine parameters need expanding or if there are any other potential issues. [such as grid size, edicts, etc. that need expanding] )
    Regards
    Wolf-3D

You should use "func_detail" instead of "func_wall" for brush based props that don't need special rendering properties. (The glass would need to remain "func_wall" only for that reason.)

The benefits of "func_detail" is that they do not produce BSP models as they are compiled as world brushes, can be made non-solid to save clip nodes (which should be used for the ceiling lights), and do not cause face division on the outer walls they're attached to.
    Yes I changed some of func_wall for func_detail, I already know how func_detail works, I just forgot but I don't think that's the issue here

Please read more with func_detail like @AdamR explains or zhlt_usemodel you should read or download example of zhlt_usemodel like it has copy of real model to copy in bsp file.
    I tried to use the sample for (zhlt_usemode) but I think its broken, I download the .map but it crash when I try to open it, maybe someone has some another sample?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-3d View Post
    ^ AdamR & SourceSkyBoxer, use func_detail and zhlt_usemodel, until it allows your the map to compile.

From a purely interest point of view can you post THE RESOURCES USED part of your compile log.
    (This may help us further decide which engine parameters need expanding or if there are any other potential issues. [such as grid size, edicts, etc. that need expanding] )
    The strange thing is that the map compiles well, without any errors. But when I put the map in the game it crash with the Fatal error, Where do I get the log so I can post it here?

Are you using J.A.C.K.? Show your log file "your map name".log?

Ok I upload to my Google drive or mega.nz you will get zhlt_usemodel it is possible use VHE 3.5 with 16k and floating hacks. I will check why it is broken. ??? Please ensure that!
    Last edited by SourceSkyBoxer; 08-01-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Manager

If you add -chart as parameter for the compile tools, you'll get an overview of the limits you might be hitting. That should give you some more insight how much more cuts you'll have to make to stay under the limit. Also know that the game might precache additional models that are not in your map, so be sure to stay under the limit.

Are you using J.A.C.K.? Show your log file "your map name".log?

Ok I upload to my Google drive or mega.nz you will get zhlt_usemodel it is possible use VHE 3.5 with 16k and floating hacks. I will check why it is broken. ??? Please ensure that!
    I'm using "Svencraft build 8458 (Dec 21 2019 18:53:11)" Here it is the map.log. It is weird 'cause there is no problem with the compilation

Manager

Would you mind including the "-chart" option in your compile options? That'll show BSP statistics after each step.
    Adam "Adambean" Reece
    Sven Co-op team

Would you mind including the "-chart" option in your compile options? That'll show BSP statistics after each step.
    here it is .log with -chart command I found this interesting "* AllocBlock 88/64 0/0 (137.5%)"

Tester

"* AllocBlock 88/64 0/0 (137.5%)"
    That will not be the main issue, just part of the problem.

The next step to trying to work out what exactly is causing the map to crash during loading, would be to post (or send) the compiled .bsp file so it could be tested on a "vanilla" or default SC system.

As you said you have "a lot of external models", they would need to be sent as well. This may help the devs/someone work out if SC or your map is caching extra "Player models", "weapon models" or somehow prop models that are not required.

Also with respect to AllocBlock, what about "sound files" does your map use a lot of non-standard sounds or include music clips?
    [ AllocBlock plus "extra models" plus "Sounds/music" could cause the SC engine to run out of memory during map initialization/load when it caches various internal arrays.]
    Last edited by wolf-3d; 09-01-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: grammer and/or should have been plus
    Regards
    Wolf-3D