Thread: OutPost (Beta)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OutPost (Beta)

Umm this is a kinda newbie map I promise its better the my past maps.. I'm going to be adding some stuff... like monster respawn.. and tweak some stuff... the full version will have a secret with my real picture in it .

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have been... Shall be
    errrrr well, where should i start?

oh yea, have a look back at ur other thread thing and do some of that,
    1. use LIGHTS! god damn it! stick in some light entitys and compile with vis and rad on normal.
    2. every seems a little LUMPY and block`s try carving sum things and smoothing edges also for ya ladder, make the ladder that aint an entiy well select that and press to entity button at top right and select func_wall make render mode errrr texture or solid and fx amount 255, and make the func_ladder closer to the func_wall.
    3. instead of that aawfull concrete looking sky, make that into a sky texture.

and errr thats JUST about it.
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

I am totaly agreed DM.
    Only at one thing.All the enemys are very strong but the friendlys are weak.

Have been... Shall be
    well i must be really bored or sumtihng cos i`v redone ur map, not everything i said but jus tweaked sum things and made it a bit more ummm err sumtinhg. well here it is, also included a wad jus in case it asks for it.

P.S made lights in it for one thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

Did you hack my map? You didn't have the rmf file.

also... the problem mighta been... I've been having a problem with lights... the maps are always lit no matter if or if I don't put in lights... for some reason its always like that.. i complie by saving the map and hitting f9 and it does it things and I shut the window down and play it...
    Last edited by 007; 12-03-2002 at 06:15 PM.

Manipulator of Vertecies WarpZone's Avatar
    You can decompile Half-Life maps easily using some program, though I forget what it's called. It might even be WorldCraft.

Last time I checked, though, the decompile process was not perfect. You lose a lot of lighting information and possibly some other entities, but I think you get all the brushwork and most of the important stuff.

In fact, if a newbie were to decompile someone else's map and make changes to it, and not replace any light entities that got lost when he decompiled it, they would end up with a really really dark map.

He would have to really study my maps and the perfect postion for the things I had... I doubt he decompllied it.

Manipulator of Vertecies WarpZone's Avatar
    Well I'm pretty sure de-compiling IS the only way to "hack" a compiled map. Compiling the map translates everything into pretty much machine code, or so I thought, so it wouldn't be readable any other way unless you're one of those rare individuals lucky enough to be really good in binary.

Of course, if you INSIST the only way he could have added lights to your map is with the original RMF file, I dunno, maybe he grabbed it off of your computer or something.

I doubt it though. De-compiling is the simplest explaination, and anyway, if the only thing he added to your map is the light entities, then you probably wouldn't notice any differences between your map and his. Except for, you know, the lights.

The program you mean is WinBSP ? It`s a very neat proggy. You can decompile bsp to map and get ALL files out of a PAK file.

Have been... Shall be
    yup hez is right, i used winBSP. but it dont work so well on big complex maps, it misaligns textures and sometimes misses out entire brushes, ANYWAY! ur map decompiled quite well cos of all of its, basic this and stuff, and may i add, i didn`t see any light entitys on the orignal map.

when u press F9 u gotta select the vis and rad to normal!

ANYWAY! ya gotta admit it, my version is better
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

Yeah I just figured that otu because I wasn't using vis and rad cuz no one told me and I didn't understand but now I use it so

you know .rmf files seem to hold more information than .bsp, since rmf holds worldcraft style positions and info while all .bsp files seem to be are text files stating the type and position of entities.
    Maps Released: BMTCoop, Incoming (with SC2.0F), Incoming '08 (with SC4.0B), Never, Never '09, HLDMCC:Crossfire
    Maps in Development: Incoming 2.
    Media Released: SC4 Trailer

[ HLDMCC:CROSSFIRE RELEASED ]
    [ Visit the SC Map Database ]
    [ Death by Paperclip on YouTube ]

Ummmm......

When I try to play outpost, right when the monsters come up it locks up. What should I do? (happens in dm's outpost too.)

Ok.. whats yer comp speed??/

I triggered it to go off with 3 diff triggers plus the monsters attacking... I updated it some this will be so much less laggy...
    Last edited by 007; 16-03-2002 at 07:15 PM.

Angry

I found out why it wasn't working and kept locking up, it was that sound/model/other crap thing I downloaded from the misc. folder. It screwed it up and began locking almost all the maps up. Man, 1 hr 10min. downoad for nothing.

Hmph!

decompiling is not very good...everthing has been carved...and some solids are missing too!

Have been... Shall be
    yea but it was basically done and no solids were missed out.
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

what in the name of paul shuttle is this bullshit? jesus fucking christ keep the day job 007, no offence
    Maps Released: BMTCoop, Incoming (with SC2.0F), Incoming '08 (with SC4.0B), Never, Never '09, HLDMCC:Crossfire

I suggest you stay out of my threads BMT... I am getting pretty pissed at yer shoot off mouth.

i know it wasnt very nice but still this is map showcase, ya know, for submitting complete (or beta) proper maps that you think will get noticed, not just to play around and submit any old beta for the fun of it.

I don't know why anyone stated this beforehand and I'm sorry it has to be me that tells you this, but there really wasn't any need in posting this map. It's practically just a map you made to practice your basic mapping skills, but posted for the hell of it.

I personally think it's abusing the map showcase forum, but then again noone will f**king listen to me because of my shouty attitude.

Have been... Shall be
    well its the right attitude, but i think its a little errrr shouty, and err well generally not nice.

but it had to be said.
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

Apology

Okay i've realised that ive said things that couldve been said in a more toned down way, but just went crazy with my bad attitude.

007 you have shown you know basic mapping skills and I hope you go on to make superb maps. Just try not to post poor beta tests, only release the map when you have reached the polished final stage. I made maps like you when I first started out, and it took me the best of two years to learn only half the worldcraft tricks.

This ties in with something monkey said a few posts back, in that i was born with mapping DNA injected. That was a terribly inaccurate statement on monkey's part, two years ago i didnt know how to make a bleeding door. Practice makes perfect. Anyone is capable of making a top quality map. It just requires determination, inspiration, and a helluva lot of tea/coffee/alcohol.

I hope to be playing a great map made by you in the future 007. Again sorry for any discomfort from my previous posts.

Well said BMT, even though I think that you weren't quite right about saying that anyone could make a good map, if I made a map, well letz just say it wouldnt be "good." . But yes, I think anyone (but me ) can make a good map.

Thank you BMT... that was very mature of you.. I'm not gonna be posting anything else unless its final... just a lil egar to enter the mapping world...

I'll finish some stuff up on 007_GargFight and MIGHT add some ideas the bmt suggested.

Have been... Shall be

Re: Apology

Originally posted by BMTwigzta
    [B two years ago i didnt know how to make a bleeding door.

It just requires a helluva lot of alcohol.

[/B]
    doors were damn diffcult man, don`t joke about that kinda thing.

so true
    DrunkMonkey`s sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast